SLK-800 - New version available!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

SLK-800 - New version available!

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:17 am

There's a new version of the much loved SLK-800 available. It's called the "SLK-800(U)" and it incorporates the screw-on base of the SLK-900 onto the SLK-800 cooling unit. This will be good news to the AMD guys that are scared of hanging the heavy SLK-800 off of their socket lugs, but who have a MoBo that won't fit the SLK-900. Here you have the best of both worlds. It fits S478 too, for the P4 boys.

SVC has it in stock and it only costs $3 more than the regular SLK-800 and it's $12 less than the SLK-900.

catcher24

Post by catcher24 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:39 pm

I saw the info on the new SLK-800(U) on SVC's site. Being new to this, I do not quite understand what the capability of bolting it through the motherboard entails. Once the old HS is removed, are the holes for the screws there, so no other modification is required? Or would this necessitate drilling my own holes through the motherboard? Going into the case doesn't bother me; starting to drill and modify DOES! Any info is appreciated.
Catcher24

NeilBlanchard

The holes have to already be there!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:49 pm

Hello Catcher24:

The holes have to already be there, and there can't be any other obstructions, like capacitors, northbridge HS/fan, etc. You would have to pull the motherboard out of the case, and use the bolts and springs that are supplied. I'm not sure if there is a database of motherboards that fit this HS -- I know the Alpha PAL8045 does have this list.

The major advantages are: the thing won't fall off (unless you really whack it!) and it may cool the CPU a bit better due to better contact. The disadvantages are that it might not fit your motherboard, and it is harder to put it on.
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:08 pm

The main advantage of the 800U is that it fits a P4, pure and simple. Use of the bolt thru holes for AMD is actually a bit of a disadvantage these days because some board makers are already starting not to provide the 4 holes now that AMD no longer requires them in their spec.

(I've said this before: dumb, AMD, dumb! As their CPUs got hotter, Intel defined a form factor that allows for larger HS, and adopted the thru-board mounting holes concept from AMD. The smartest thing AMD could have done would have been to just adopt exactly the SAME form factor and mounting system as Intel. Instead, as their CPUs get ever hotter, they take away the mounting holes that allowed great coolers like the swiftechs and alphas to be devised. How are you going to cool a >3G XP without those mounting holes? :roll: um sorry for the rant :oops: It's frustrating to watch.)

Since they phased out the AX478, Thermalright have not had a P4 HS -- till the 900, but that is a high end solution not everyone will go for. The 800U allows them to reach into the P4 performance/value cooling market. Don't be surprised if you see a SK7U -- for the value aftermarket. It IS about $ aint it, guys?

NeilBlanchard

The Opteron will have a new HS standard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:33 pm

Hi Mike:

There can't be too many AMD Socket A's w/o the four holes -- the biggest challenge if they do put the holes in is the space for the HS. The Alpha PAL8045 fits roughly 50-66% of the Socket A's (just a gues based on the list on their site. I agree it is silly for AMD to have dropped the holes from their standard.

I know the Opterons, and I'm pretty sure the Athlon64's will use a new style HS with a frame mounted on the mobo, similar to the P4. It may even be the same, but I'm not all that familiar with P4's...

http://www.coolermaster.com/news/k8/news0801_e.html
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzAx

I got these links from: http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.ph ... did=440463
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbass01

Post by gbass01 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:19 pm

my main problem with the SLK900 mounting mechanism is the up-and-down orientation of the fins. I think front-to-back makes for much better airflow out the back exhaust.

I wonder if the SLK800U mounting orientation is the same. Anybody know?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:26 pm

You know what would be really great. If they made it so the fan is mounted on the side of the heatsink so it sucks air from the front of the case and then flows through the heatsink and then to back of the case where it could be easily exhausted.

catcher24

Post by catcher24 » Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:42 am

Thanks for the info everybody. As I don't think I would be too keen about pulling my motherboard, I would probably go for the regular SLK800. I understand this fits the AMD Socket A chip without any modifications or motherboard removal. Thanks again for the help.
catcher24

jhh

Post by jhh » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:30 pm

Am I the only person who has mouting holes on their mobo TRAY? I'm not using them but they look like they'd line up with holes on the mobo if I had any.

bodosom
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bodosom » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:36 pm

gbass01 wrote:my main problem with the SLK900 mounting mechanism is the up-and-down orientation of the fins.
My 900 is front-to-back on a P4PE. I hope I didn't put on backwards.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:59 am

jhh wrote:Am I the only person who has mouting holes on their mobo TRAY? I'm not using them but they look like they'd line up with holes on the mobo if I had any.
Not too many cases have them but they sure are handy. It's pretty darn easy to drill a set of holes in the right place before you put your case together. That makes it a snap to use the bolt-on HSFs.

Metaluna

Post by Metaluna » Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:46 am

bodosom wrote:
gbass01 wrote:my main problem with the SLK900 mounting mechanism is the up-and-down orientation of the fins.
My 900 is front-to-back on a P4PE. I hope I didn't put on backwards.
I have an Asus P4PE also so I've been looking into this issue. Based on the pictures I've seen of the heatsink retention mechanism, the fins end up pointing towards the sides of the plastic retention shroud where the clips go in. On the P4PE this is front-to-back so your heatsink is mounted okay.

Has anyone mounted it thru-hole on a P4 motherboard? How is this done? Do you have to remove the plastic shroud (i.e. the thing that heatsinks usually clip onto) first or is there another set of holes? Do you need the foam rubber adhesive pads on CPU's that have the heat spreader?

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:51 am

You'll have to take out the original plastic retention holder. Its got some plastic pegs that spread split plastic tabs which latch onto the back of the MB. I used a small jeweler's flathead to push out the 4 plastic pegs and then the whole thing came out fine. The holes align to heatsink holes.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:38 am

Speaking of AMD .. As of now applying Arctic Silver (or any other non amd provided thermal compound) to the CPU will VOID the warranty.

Raygun

Post by Raygun » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:25 am

Gandalf,

Got an URL on the VOID warranty stuff? I am about to install a new Athlon...

counterpt

Post by counterpt » Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:39 pm

I did some searching and I found this. http://139.95.253.213/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC ... =obj(3494)
I'm not quite sure what this means for everyone.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:13 am

counterpt wrote:I did some searching and I found this. http://139.95.253.213/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC ... =obj(3494)
I'm not quite sure what this means for everyone.
Well, at the minimum it means AMD certainly doesn't recommend ASIII.

Does using ASIII void the warranty?? I sent AMD an email with this text:

"According to this page: http://139.95.253.213/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC ... =obj(3494), AMD only recommends using the listed suppliers for PCM. I'm having a hard time finding anything like that and am wondering what will happen to my CPU warranty if I use a TIM like Artic Silver III or some other generic type of thermal compound? Will that void my warranty?"

We'll see what reply I get back. Stay tuned.....

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:54 am

Well ive seen LOTS of reviews that did tests where ac3 didnt do any better than the stock thermal compound. Infact there are several thermal paste roundup reviews on the net. And several of them claim that the thermal pad is just as good as anything you buy. There are however lots of people claiming 3-10degrees cooler using ac3 versus the stock thermal pad. So once again im confused on whether its best to save my money or buy the stupid ac3 goop.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:06 am

The thing is that you can only use the stock pad once. If you pull your HSF off, you have to replace the old TIM with "something else". At that point you may as well use ASIII. Personally, I find that it's easier to clean off the unused thermal pad and use ASIII from the get-go then it is to clean off the melted-on pad after it's been used.

Raygun

Post by Raygun » Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:19 am

The above link does not return any page right now. Thanks for the effort though. I'll check the link again later, to see if starts working. Hope that AMD gets back real soon to with a definite answer. I want to install my new Athlon XP right now.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:38 am

Regarding the warranty:
a friend of mine owns a computer store (tones.be) and he recently informed me of the AMD warranty "changes".

Que

Post by Que » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:18 am

Regarding that link, that is only AMD Athlon's and Duron's, not the XP line.
*edites* ugh, i cannot type today...