Nexus, MSI K8Neo Platinum = Noisy

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mr.data

Nexus, MSI K8Neo Platinum = Noisy

Post by mr.data » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:09 pm

Hi,
in search of a silent system I got myself these parts:
Nexus Breeze 350W case
AMD 64 3000+ with silent cooling
MSI K8Neo Platinum Nforce3
MSI GeforceFX5700LE

At first I found the computer quite silent, but now I think it's noisy.
I also get very high idle temperature, ~48 degrees C. in Win2000.
The CPU-fan runs at about 1000RPM according to CoreCenter.
I have no idea how to change the speed of the casefans, is this possible with the Nexus PSU and case fans?
Can this problem be related to the motherboard BIOS? When I come to think about it the noise volume may have been lower before I upgraded the BIOS.

Does anyone have similar experiences?
Has someone been able to solve it?
please help me out if you know how.

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Post by MainframeGuy » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:22 pm

I shall subscribe to this thread in a very nervous way!

I have the almost exact system you describe on order - my Nexus Breeze case is already awaiting an MSI NEO mobo and an AMD64 3500 Winchester .....

Additional I have a 9700 pro which I shall Arctic silence and a Northbridge heatsink to apply to replace the fan....

Have you left your NorthBridge fan in place? Could that be the annoyane? Your post has me guite alarmed because I am setting high targets for my new build and have spent a fair amount to achieve them - If I have to spend more time and money I shall be slightly disappointed!

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:25 am

Are you sure about where your noise is coming from?
IIRC, that card has a cooling fan on it, and video card fans are notoriously loud.

BTW, what sort of 'silent cooling' are you refering to for your CPU heatsink?

and lastly, WELCOME TO SPCR

mr.data

Post by mr.data » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:39 pm

Thanks,
I opened up the case and manually damped each of the fans, it was the graphics card that made most of the noise.
I also found out that the cool n' quiet feature didn't work with the MSI Core Centre program. I installed AMD's program instead and the temp got down to 35 C in idle mode.
Is there a not too hard and not too expensive way to silence the graphics card? It makes a really high pitched sound which is extremely annoying given that the rest of the computer is quite quiet.

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Post by MainframeGuy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:27 pm

not sure about that card - but I just bought arctic cooler for my 9700pro (not yet fitted since still building)

then there is the Zalman passive that I would recommend also (have one of those on my 9600XT and it works fine)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:58 pm

The Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 1 is partially recommended. There are some here who aren't happy with noise output of the NV Silencer while others are perfectly happy with it. Since I have no first hand experience with the NV Silencer series, I can't say.

I'll also second MainframeGuy's statements that the Zalman Passive may be worth considering. Though the flip side is that it just dumps all the heat produced into your case (raising temps) rather than exhausting the heat out like the NV Silencer does.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:40 am

I'm assuming all parts are in stock condition.

I'd strongly advise the NV Silencer to get the heat out of the system. I'm assuming your Nexus has the NX-3500 PSU on it which ramps up in speed faster than other Nexus PSUs so the less heat it gets, the better.

Once you silence your graphics, I'm thinking you'll find the CPU cooler (if it's the stock cooler) to be noisy. While you CAN swap in a 80mm quieter fan with some ingenuity, I'd advise a better HSF - a Zalman7000 or XP-120/XP-90.

mr.data

Post by mr.data » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:12 am

No I have an Arctic Cooling TC ultra amd64 cooler.
I think it's quite silent, at least when the CPU is in idle mode.
I think I'm going to buy the Arctic Cooling GFX-card cooler too, I'ts really cheap (~15 €)..

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Post by MainframeGuy » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:54 pm

so - I am curious, is there a fan on your NB like on my K8N?

Because if so I think that could be your NEXT annoyance and you might want to get a passive heatsink for it too!

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Post by MainframeGuy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:32 am

mr.data - I didn't hear back if you had a Northbridge fan? But if you do then I have news - install and open up the CoreCentre utility that comes with your mobo driver CD - then click on the CoreCentre in the middle and select manual control and there are sliders with which you can control both NB fan and CPU fan - you may well find adjusting these makes a fair difference if they are the noise culprits....

Let us know if this helps.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:39 pm

Let's jazz this thread a bit...

MSI K8N Neo Platinum (S754) doesn't have a fan. MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (S939) has a fan. Which board do You all have?

For the record, I have the fanless one.

Cheers,

Jan

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Post by MainframeGuy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:46 pm

and I have the 939 Neo2, with the fan.

it comes off nice and easy and I do have a heatsink that COULD replace it - just would have to take out the mobo and saw the heatsink to fit under my arctic VGA cooler in there and not sure it is worth it or a good idea..... But that's another thread....

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:49 pm

mr.data, welcome to the forums.

As for the graphics card, the cheapest (and just as effective) way to deal with it is to unplug the whiny little high-pitched fan and mount something like an 80mm panaflo L1A in its direction (toward the heatsink obviously). I have done this and removed the slot guards on the back of the case so that the air flows across the card (an overclocked GF2 Ultra) and escapes out the back mostly.

See MikeC's article where he has a picture of doing just what I described. All you need is the fan, and if your card has 2 little holes on the end you can use 2 cable ties to hold the fan in place. If there aren't any holes, be creative, or maybe order a Zalman123 bracket that is made just for doing this. Also, consider using a Zalman fanmate to adjust the fan speed to get the noise down to a level you like.