Seagate hardrive, which to get?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GamingGod

Seagate hardrive, which to get?

Post by GamingGod » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:52 pm

Ok I was gonna get a western digital 800jb, because it basically the fastest 80gig ata hd around. But after hearing how loud a hardrive could be (an old maxtor) and after lots of thought, I think ill be happier with a silent hardrive. So I want a Seagate, I just need to know which one to get. As far as I can tell the cuda 5's are quieter than the cuda 4's but what about the 7200.7's? I really only need about 60-80gigs and I want the fastest and or quietests seagate that is currently out, or will be out by next month.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:35 pm

Ok Ive been looking around and the cuda V 60gig (single platter) looks nice. The one at newegg is only $88, but at siliconacoustics they want $115 for it. But on the siliconacoustic site it also says that some of the oem drives (like the one at newegg) dont have the seashield that makes it quiet. Does anyone know if the drive at newegg has the seashield or how I could find out?

SmallQuietComputing
Friend of SPCR

Post by SmallQuietComputing » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:40 am

From the introduction in the manual for the Seagate ATA V drives (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/man ... 21374a.pdf), it would appear that the Seashield is part of every drive. The same is true for the ATA IV series (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/man ... 29212b.pdf).

I suppose you could contact Seagate to verify this.

It would be interesting to find out. If it is true that some do not have the Seashield, then that is just one more thing to watch out for. On the other hand if it is not true, I hate being driven by FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

If I ordered one and the Seashield were to be missing, I would return it as defective as in missing parts specified in Seagate's manual. Should the vendor disagree with me in this regard, it would be time to call the credit card company to talk about a charge back.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:55 am

Did you see my earlier post elsewhere in one of your many inquiries about HDDs, GG? The Hitachi/IBM 180GXP. I have one, a single platter -- the result of 75GXP RMA. :) It is just about as quiet as a Barracuda IV single-platter -- and definitely faster. Very nice. I am going to have to find a source for these in Vancouver.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:42 am

gaming god get the 8meg cache one, cache=speed :)
im lookin for a larger drive, thinkin of 120 or 160gig :)
160 be nice, same size as my raid, (wd 80gig jd in raid 0)
yes its very fast and nice :P if a lil loud :\

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:49 am

Im trying to keep it around $100 or less, but I still have a month so ill keep shopping around. Ive been looking for the 180gxp too. But the smaller ones dont have the 8mb cache I think. And I really dont need (or can afford) a 120+gig hardrive. 60-80gigs will be plenty for me.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:57 am

Yea the 120gb 180gxp seems to have the 8mb cache (and 3 year warranty I might add) but only some of them do. And all the 180gb ones do. But the 120gb one cost $150. This is kinda on the high end. I wish they had a 80gb one with 8mb cache. If nothing else id like the extra 2 years of warranty.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:50 am

Hmm the 60gig 180gxp looks good for $85. It doesnt have the 8mb cache or 3 year warranty but I imagine it would run alot cooler, and also quieter than the 180gxp drives that have more than one platter. Ive read several reviews and the 180gxp always wins in the speed department, but it also is the hottest drive around. But again, the 60gig version should run cooler?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:42 am

The IBM 180GXP is the way to go, with or without the 8meg cache it will be a whole lot faster than a Seagate. The bonus is it is very quiet, more or less the same as a Seagate drive.

Raygun

Performance

Post by Raygun » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:41 am

Unless IBM/Hitachi have made any serious changes to their drives lately I would avoid their drives simply because of the low MBF. I have had 3 IBM drives; 2 60GXP and a SCSI (forgot the model, made back in -99). The SCSI drive and one IDE drive has died with I/O error. The third drive is beginning to get really noisy. Suspect it is dying as well. This with working tempatures well within the specs.

At work we have tons of IBM SCSI drives in the servers. The fail quite frequently. RAID 5 is a real good thing. :wink:

A performance note; two drives will make your system (Windows) ALOT faster. One for the system and one for the swap file.

The minus would be; added noise and expanded budget.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:44 pm

Hell. Is there no good quiet fast and reasonably cheap hardrive for sale? I just wanted a drive that was at least as fast as a western digital 80jb and was also quiet. I dont need more than 80gigs. Infact 60gigs would probably be enough. Western digital needs to start making some quiet drives.

Archeon

Post by Archeon » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:15 pm

Maybe you can try the new Maxtor DiamondMax 9+ drive ? Available in sizes 60GB, 80GB, 120GB, 160GB and 200GB. Supposed to be also pretty good in the acoustics department.

These guys like it quite a bit. (this is a review for the serial ATA version of the drive, but I expect the ATA133 version to perform similar)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:59 pm

at least as fast as a western digital 80jb
Your use of the phrase "at least as fast" ignores that WDs ARE the current speed kings.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:37 pm

There is only a 4db difference between the 800jb and maxtor diamond max 9 plus drives. And they have about the same performance, except that the wd800jb runs 5 degrees cooler. Also I read reviews at newegg and EVERYONE that bought a 800jb loves it, and most people say its silent. Others say they RMAed it cause it was too loud, and got a new one that was silent. But the maxtor drives have alot more people complaining about them dying or coming DOA. Western Digital seems to be one of the most reliable hardrive makers right now. So its down to either the 800jb or a seagate cuda5 or 7200.7. How does the cuda5 compare to the 7200.7 in both performance and noise?

gmontem
Friend of SPCR

Post by gmontem » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:59 pm

Does anyone know if any of the 10K rpm, 8MB cache, Seagate Cheetahs (like the ST336607LW) have either the Seashield or fluid bearings? Thanks.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:06 pm

i think new ones do
makes them as quiet as a normal 7200 drive i belive

NeilBlanchard

Western Digital Raptor?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:45 pm

Hello:

I only know what I've read on Storage Review, and the WD Raptor (10K RPM, SATA, 8MB cache, fluid bearings -- it looks to be a pretty intimidating drive. It's very fast (its up in the higher SCSI range), and fairly quiet (I'd say in the lower third of all drives). Sweet.

The only draawback is SCSI-like capacity: 36GB IIRC is the only size and it will be pretty expensive, too.

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Re: Western Digital Raptor?

Post by jamoore9 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:51 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello:

I only know what I've read on Storage Review, and the WD Raptor (10K RPM, SATA, 8MB cache, fluid bearings -- it looks to be a pretty intimidating drive. It's very fast (its up in the higher SCSI range), and fairly quiet (I'd say in the lower third of all drives).

I don't know about that quiet part. There is pretty much no such thing as a "fairly quiet" 10K drive. In his review of the same drive on AnandTech, Anand noted that the Raptor was than the other drives he benched it against -- a SCSI Maxtor Atlas 10K IV and a Seagate Cheetah 10K.6! Couple that with AnandTech's infamous capacity for noise (like most in the performance/overclocking world) and it seems pretty acceptable that this drive is LOUD.

Personally, I'd wait for the Maxtor DM+9 SATA. Gotta find that silence/performance compromise, ya know? It might do it be a good one, and shouldn't be nearly as expensive as ye ole Raptor. HotHarware puts it as FASTER than the WD Caviar Special Edition, about 50% faster than the Cuda SATA (86% in one test), and also quiet. Quoth HotHardware: "We didn't compare the drive to every disk in our lab but the DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA drive, has quieter spindle and read head acoustics, than either the Western Digital SE or Barracuda V drives we tested."

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/Dri ... sata.shtml