Folding Farm and Wireless Bridge

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WoodsBoy

Folding Farm and Wireless Bridge

Post by WoodsBoy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:11 am

Wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but it's more about system advice than folding so here goes.

Going to assemble a small folding farm, but won't be able to put it inside my house (you guys can probably guess why) but I do have a shop out back. I don't want to run an ethernet cable out to the shop, getting it into the house to my router would be a real pain in the rear. I do have a wireless router inside that the kids' PCs connect to.

I was thinking about having the folders connected to a hub in the shop, then connect the hub to a wireless bridge. Like this one

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 026&depa=0

Here's the info from the Netgear website:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/ME101.php

Would this work? Does anyone have any experience using a bridge like this?

Reading on the Netgear website, the folders shouldn't know the difference. The are connected with a wire to the hub and the hub is connected wirelessly to my router.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:42 pm

No reason why not, if you follow standard network wiring & protocol. But my experience with wireless is that it is often finicky, far less trouble free than the ads / industry would like you to believe. Definitely worth a shot tho.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:21 pm

I would double check the distances involved. If your shop is a ways from the house you could run into trouble from that. Whatever Netgear lists as the range, I would try to not go more than a quarter to a half of that distance. The performance really drops with distance, and going through the insulated exterior walls of your house will really knock a chunk off the range.

(then again, for a F@H farm, performance really isn't critical, it doesn't matter whther it takes 15 seconds or 2 minutes to get the next WU)

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:00 am

I have done something like this with a D-link acess point. It was advertised as being able to bridge, and then the manual told me that was only with another AP exactly the same. Well, tinkering for a while made it work with my 3Com router, so I'm happy, and it works. The range I go is quite small (downstairs to upstairs), but through a concrete staircase. If you get a bridge then it ought to bridge with anything out of the box. As Rusty says, be careful about the range, but if you can sort that it will be fine...

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:24 am

From what I've read about most of the low-cost bridge solutions, expect a hit in performance of anywhere from 25% to 50% of what your regular wireless connections currently have. But like Rusty said, it's only WUs