H2O, radiator placement.

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gandalf

H2O, radiator placement.

Post by Gandalf » Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:32 am

What's the best place to put your radiator (with a fan on it of course?). Would it be the front of the case, where nice cool air comes in, or the back of the case (so it can also serve as an exhaust fan). ?

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:43 am

i'm no expert at WC, but I imagine that it would be pretty close either way. The air would be warmer at the back, but it should be less so for wc than ac, since most of the heat is being carried directly to the radiator rather than to the exhaust air.

I'd say go with the back treatment. That way the exhaust from the radiator isn't heating anything else up downstream.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:20 pm

not in the case at all :)
but then u not moving air thru the case..
dont think it matters to much tbh

Bat

Post by Bat » Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:34 pm

I would put it at the back, or else a big one in the left side panel or in the bottom panel with the case standing on feet. I wouldn't put a fan right on the radiator, but have one or more fans drawing air into the case (through a dust-filter). Close up any other holes in the case. The air will leave through the radiator but you won't get the extra noise from the fan blades being next to an obstruction, and also the whole case will be acting as a plenum chamber or shroud for the fan.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:15 am

Bat wrote:I would put it at the back, or else a big one in the left side panel or in the bottom panel with the case standing on feet. I wouldn't put a fan right on the radiator, but have one or more fans drawing air into the case (through a dust-filter). Close up any other holes in the case. The air will leave through the radiator but you won't get the extra noise from the fan blades being next to an obstruction, and also the whole case will be acting as a plenum chamber or shroud for the fan.
Sure... where does heat diappear thean...
Partly through the PSU... Keep the PSU warm and you just added a little extra noise in your system. I say keep it out of the case. I got some mounting idea I am going to try tonight... will let you guys know tomorrow (or day after depending on how fast I finish them).