Coolermaster HHC-L61 / Athlon XP 2000+ problem

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

knoba

Coolermaster HHC-L61 / Athlon XP 2000+ problem

Post by knoba » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:14 pm

Hi, I'm having abit kd7-e mobo /w Athlon XP (PSU is noname 300w, though quite quiet).

At first I had my Athlon cooled by some extremely noisy & cheap Titan Cooler (TTC-D5TB(F/CU35), temperature was arround 45-50C.

So I thought I will make my setup quieter and swapped Titan to Coolermaster HHC-L61 (the best HS/Fan that is available here) which had very good review regarding noise.

Now I'm running 50C idle an getting up to 65C with CPU intensive tasks.

My case has one extra fan that is blowing air out (tried both directions, but blowing in gave no effect).

Thermal compound is some noname silver grease (arctic silver s no available here).

What else can I do in order to cool system? (And yes I tried Downclocking - downclocked down to 1250Mhz it still gives me 49C idle anf up to 56C at high load)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:18 pm

Your temps are actually not unsafe at all, especially when you underclocked it. Have you tried underVOLTing? The Abit should let you lower the CPU core voltage. 0.1V will get you a 2-3C drop.

knoba

Post by knoba » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:33 pm

So maybe someone can give setting for undervolting and underclocking Xp 2000+?

But anyway I'm looking how to solve this problem w/o underclocking, because I really need those mhz.

Any s/w like CPU idle or Vcool and stuff didn't give any benefit at all...

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:16 pm

Hi knoba,

Your mobo has the VIA KT333 chipset, right?
Use WPCREDIT.exe & install WPCRSET.exe.
(Do a Google search on H.Oda + WPCREDIT to download.)
These tools alone should lower your idle temps at least 10*C.
Not garanteed, but try it.

Do you have an indication of your mobo's temperature?
It would also help when you post a photograph of your mobo mounted in the case.

Regards, Han.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:48 pm

As already mentioned, your CPU temps are not a danger to its health. You may not be comfortable with the temps, but that's a whole 'nuther issue. :wink:

Lots of people here have pushed their AMD CPUs to over 80C without burning anything (except maybe their fingers). My backup XP2000+ machine, which is now running folding 24/7, stays constantly at 58-60C. CPUBurn pushes it higher -- to ~67C. It's perfectly stable at this temp. Since XPs don't burn till past 90C, even with a 20C margin, your temps are well below the danger level.

knoba

Post by knoba » Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:01 am

But what I'm trying to says is why do i get such high temperetures, with such a godd heatsink, I've read a lot of tests/reviews and they had significantly lower temps, sso I'm wondering where the problem is. I'm getting theses temps with open case as well.

Here is a picture of my setup (except in the photo is shown old hs/fan)... Calbles are not rounded, but that shouldnt be aproblem.

Tried "Use WPCREDIT.exe & install WPCRSET.exe. ". Didn't help...

SpyderCat

Re: Coolermaster HHC-L61 / Athlon XP 2000+ problem

Post by SpyderCat » Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:35 am

Hi Knoba,
knoba wrote: My case has one extra fan that is blowing air out (tried both directions, but blowing in gave no effect).
I don't see that extra fan. Is it in the front, low down?
What are your mobo temps with the case closed?
Can you observe the cpu-temps immediately after 'cold'-booting?
Perhaps from the BIOS-screen?
If they are high then already you might have a sensor reading to high.

Regards, Han.

knoba

Post by knoba » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:06 am

EXtra fan is not shown in photo I installed later. It is on the back of the case next to cpu. Mobo temps are ~60oC and CPU ~59oC in BIOS and also the same in winbond hardware doctor, with a liitle rise when load increases.

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:23 am

knoba wrote:EXtra fan is not shown in photo I installed later. It is on the back of the case next to cpu. Mobo temps are ~60oC and CPU ~59oC in BIOS and also the same in winbond hardware doctor, with a liitle rise when load increases.
Then I would say your sensors are screwed up.
There is no way you can heat up your whole mobo, and thus your case to 60*.
Take a real thermometer (is that the right word?), put in the neighborhood of your CPU, and read it after an hour.

Regards, Han.