Need some help before buying my 2 remaining parts...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Slaugh

Need some help before buying my 2 remaining parts...

Post by Slaugh » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:18 am

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum but I was around for a while gathering information to help me build a perfect silent system. I'm currently looking for the remaining parts to put in this system. I got sooooooo many good advices here and I'm really happy SPCR exists! This forum is by far one of the best for silent computer related products!... A big thanks to all contributors! :wink:

Well... So far, here's my new system:

- Zalman Reserator 1
- Zalman ZM-GWB1 GPU waterblock
- Zalman ZM-2HC1 HDD cooler
- Antec Sonata (without fan case and power supply)
- Nexus 120mm case fan
- Antec Phantom (still waiting for the shipping) *
- Asus K8N-E Deluxe (Nforce3 250GB chipset)
- AMD Athlon64 3400+
- 1GB Kingston HyperX CL 2.5
- Seagate Baraccuda 200GB SATA
- Pioneer PX-712A DVD+-R/W (silence option through firmware)
- APC 750 UPS
- 3.5" floppy (well, just for the look! :))
- Round IDE cable for the writer and round floppy cable

* About the Phantom, I'm planning to put it "outside" the case, is that recommanded with that kind of power supply? My first idea was to buy a Zalman NEPS400 but even Zalman don't know when it will be released ("maybe" in the first quarter of 2005)...

Now, I really need advice here...

Initially, I wanted to add an ATI Radeon X800 Pro... but if I can have a X800 XT instead, that will be very nice! Is the Reserator and the Phantom can easily handle this card (X800 XT) and the Athlon64? I know the power supply is enough but I'm wondering if the Reserator will be able to properly cool the GPU and the CPU. I bough a bottle of waterwetter (12 oz from Danger Den) and will add it to distilled water to help a bit. Zalman told me to add about 5% of coolant (or waterwetter) to distilled water, so that 12oz bottle will be just fine! Is somebody try that kind of setup (X800+Athlon64)? And if so, which one should I cool first, the GPU or the CPU?

The last part I need to buy is a new monitor... My good old Viewsonic is now making a very annoying high pitch noise that drives my crazy. Hopefully, I have a laptop that I can use instead! :) This CRT have to go and I have 2 LCDs in mind to replace it... One is from Sony (HS94P/B) and the other one is from Viewsonic (VP912b). Is anybody familiar with these? They both have the same 12ms panel. The LCD will be use for programming, graphic design and gaming. Because of poor interpolation of LCDs, only the native 1280x1024 will be used. That's also the reason of the Radeon X800. Both brands are good but I'm aware of dead pixels (got 2 on a previous CRT, pretty annoying... was near the middle of the screen :( )... I can have Viewsonic at cost and without taxes (well my store pay the taxes...), so that would be nice for the price... But some said that Sony makes better LCDs. Which one should I take? :?

By the way, I know Samsung make quieter drives than Seagate but having a computer store, I had so many problem with them in the past, so I prefer to use Seagate drives instead.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks alot!

PS: Is anybody having trouble getting the Phantom in Canada? I ordered one couple days ago and did not receive any progress info except that they received my order (at (frontierpc.com). It was in stock when I placed the order but now they give it a 2-3 weeks delay (special order)...
Last edited by Slaugh on Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:28 pm

You're going to have a very quiet system appart from the graphics card!

I really recommend that you go for a Socket 939 CPU and Mobo, the socket 939 CPUs are available in 90nm form and produce less heat than the 130nm 754 cores. It also means a better upgrade path as AMD are focusing on S939 now.

The Zalman isn't the best way to mount a HD quietly though it will help to cool it.

I really don't think the Sonata is the best idea for a case (trust, me I have one!). For such a powerful system I would recommend a bigger case with less restricted vents.

silencery

Post by silencery » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:42 pm

have you considered the 2005fpw widescreen from dell? I hear its quite nice. There's a thread on the anand deals forums right now for purchasing that monitor @ ~$560.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the other units since i'm still on a CRT myself.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:27 am

Jordan wrote:You're going to have a very quiet system appart from the graphics card
The graphic card will be cooled by the gpu waterblock from Zalman so the only real noise will come from the Nexus Fan... I don't think I'll hear the HDD that much... the system will be on the floor. For the CPU, I already have it, same for the mobo... Got them just before the new socket was released... And as far as I know, the Reserator have no clip for the 939...
silencery wrote:have you considered the 2005fpw widescreen from dell
Is this a 1600x1200 20" LCD? I prefer a good 1280x1024 19"... A 20" 1600x1200 is a bit too much for my needs.... I don't need a wide screen LCD and what I want to avoid is slowdowns and ghosting...

Thanks for replying... :)
Last edited by Slaugh on Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:38 am

"For the CPU, I already have it, same with the mobo... Got them just before the new socket was released..."

Sorry, my bad. Guess I kinda wasn't paying attention enough the first time around :oops:

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:04 am

Jordan wrote:Sorry, my bad. Guess I kinda wasn't paying attention enough the first time around
Jordan... That's ok... :wink: I was first waiting for the new socket 939 but Zalman did not mention any support for it on its web site, and at this time I didn't know if the socket would be compatible or not... So I got the A64 3400+ S754 instead... Zalman is not very fast to build new clips for its products, so that was another reason to go with the S754... Also, all the boards that were announced had VIA chipset, and I prefer Nforce boards (NForce4 had no release date at the time I got my board)

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:18 am

For LCD, usually the panels are made by a VERY FEW manufacturers, regardless of brand. IIRC, Sony LCD production isn't among the best.

Among top-tier manufacturers are Sharp, LG, Samsung, Panasonic/Matsushita, NEC.

I've seen consistantly good quality/good value on LG-based monitors (Philips is a partner with LG in LCD business so you can be sure of the panels on Philips).

Sharp & Matsushita usually produce the best color fidelity but if you're not heavily into graphics design, they tend to have longer response times so won't do too well in games.

Artagra

Post by Artagra » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:44 am

The Res will handle the A64 plus X800XT with no issues at all. Infact, the X800XT heat production is not a lot higher than an X800 Pro.

Artag

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:41 am

Artagra wrote:The Res will handle the A64 plus X800XT with no issues at all
That's good to hear! :D Are you using that setup yourself?
burcakb wrote:Sony LCD production isn't among the best.
Hmmm... Is there a specific model you recommand? I really need a fast LCD monitor with good color reproduction... The Viewsonic and Sony LCDs have a fast 12ms panel (both have exactly the same one) and a special coating... All I want to avoid is ghosting and slowdowns and hopely, dead pixels... The LCD must be a 19" 1280x1024... I don't want any CRT... In fact, companies like Sony and NEC stopped producing them or will stop in a near future...

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:05 am

Have you seen this :?:
Seven 19" LCDs reviewed at AnandTech.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:21 pm

The best article I've read on LCD panel technology (and I've read pretty much everything the tech enthusiast sites have published) is this one at X-bit labs. It's long, but it will prepare you for purchasing an LCD monitor, and it debunks many commonly-held myths (such as the myth that 16/12/8ms-rated panels actually have better real-world response time than 25ms panels).

If you don't have time to read the whole thing, the most important stuff starts at page 19.

I own the Dell 1905FP, which uses the same panel as the Samsung 193P. It's a 20ms-rated PVA panel, but moving images can be blurry because the black-to-gray transitions take almost 100ms. It's the same issue with most (but not all!) panels on the market, and the article will steer you in the right direction.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:51 am

SometimesWarrior wrote:The best article I've read on LCD panel technology (and I've read pretty much everything the tech enthusiast sites have published) is this one at X-bit labs
I often check at Anandtech, X-Bits labs and Hardware.fr for great articles and reviews about LCDs, but I missed this one... Very good article! Thanks! :) But sadly, it's only reminds me that the perfect LCD is not available right now!...

Most comments I got about the the Sony HS94P/B and the Viewsonic vp912b came from forums with owners having try them, not from reviews. So far, the only review I saw about the Viewsonic came from GamePC... No review about the Sony HS94P/B, but it use exactly the same panel so...

The new panel from Samsung (LTM190EX) looks promising but is not available right now... It have a 8ms response time (yeah! sure!) and 16.7m colors (so a "true" 8bit panel?!?)... I need to see it to believe it!

faro

Post by faro » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:55 am

Still on the LCD discussion... I have been researching the Dell 2001FP and 2005FPW. From what I read, the actual LCD is an LG. I saw the LG LCD in an LG screen last night (looks like the one from the 2001FP) and it is quite nice looking. One of the places that I was doing my research was here for the 2001 and here for the 2005 (firstadopter.com). The bottom line for me is that the 2005 will be my first LCD display when I build my new, quiet PC in the coming month.

tangesazen

Post by tangesazen » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:04 pm

I have two of the 2001FPs. I think I would choose 1600x1200 over 1680x1050, for me it means I can view more lines of code.

I would never buy a Dell PC as they use the cheapest possible components.
But this display had so many features I wanted - 1600x1200, DVI/VGA/SVideo/Composite outputs, built-in USB hub... the display even rotates 90 degrees. I liked the first so much I bought another.

Once a month or so techbargains will note this display selling for less than $600 (inc shipping and tax).

I'm saving up for a third one now :lol:

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:46 am

Hummm... So many people talked about the NEC 2001FP, sounds it's a good monitor for work but not for gaming... I really prefer a 19" in 1280x1024, as I'm gonna use it a bit for gaming and don't want to experiment interpolation. Is there a really good 19" LCD monitor (SXGA) that have good colors and speed? If I was rich, I could afford to buy 2 monitors, one for gaming and one for work, but it's not the case right now!

For the graphic card, I'm going for a Radeon X800 XT... Now if that Phantom can be shipped before christmas, that would be nice! :x