It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Source for 92 -> 80 fan adapter?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:22 am 

I can't seem to find any...

Queue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:03 am 

Queue, why do u want to find a 92MM to 80MM fan adapter? there's 120MM to 80MM fan adapter's out there I've seen a fair few of them in fact here plycon sell them for 16.99US http://www.plycon.com/fanadpt.html depends on what heatsink you're sticking the fan adapater as well cause u might get some issues with backpressure lowering your cooling ablity as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:24 pm 

I'm using an MCX462U. It has brackets for 80mm. I kinda took a slightly different tack and threw on an Antec 80mm smartfan. I hope to have a bit of a write-up soon.

Queue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:45 pm 

i have the mcx462 as well. my motherboard/case combination precludes using a 120mm fan adapter (collision with the PS), so i got a 80mm-to-92mm fan adapter. the only off-the-shelf one i could find was the Amuzuma Fan Adapter, which actually allows you to mount 60mm/70mm/80mm/92mm fans to 60mm/70mm/80mm/92mm mounting holes. it was also an open-air adapter. depending on the fan and heatsink, open-air adapters can be better than funnel adapters. this is especially true for slow speed axial fans since their P-Q curves derate heavily. (on the opposite note, funnel adapters might work better for high pressure fans in highly turbulent heatsinks, like the cross-vein axial delta fans on a mcx, but since this is a silent crowd, i don't think many of the audience here use this combo!).

here's a link for a picture on a retail site for the adapter:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/amunfanad.html

now the unfortunate news. as far as i know, amuzuma i think is no longer in buisness since their webpage is down. sidewinder computers used to carry them, but they are sold out.

on a related note, i've seen DIY non-backpressure adapters with the same type of geometric template on forums, and they didn't look too complicated to build if you have some spare time.