Ok, time for one of us old-timers to put you kids to shame. Here's My List
5. Decided that the case itself was the problem, so I built a new one out of my Desk!
1 to 4 OK, at 5. Let's say you had a bad day.
11. Ducted CPU fan to 120mm case fan.
6 to 10 OK again, nothing special yet, but OK. 11. Looks like a stroke of genius.
15. Built a machine that is cooled by being submerged in Turbine Oil Not just the mobo, mind you. The whole damn thing Mobo, PSU and HDD.
12 to 14 Ok again, although 14 was a really wild idea.
15. Shows you need some professional care, might be you needed to be admitted in a specialized hospital.
16. Discovered that case fans will in fact still spin while submerged in 0 weight Turbine oil.
That must have been a funny hallucination.
17. Discovered that you need to close up more than just the breather hole on a Hard Drive to make it waterproof.
Still he doesn't notice he's taking his wild ideas a bit to far.
This guy needs help to be cured.
18. Discovered that Turbine Oil will dissolve the silicon caulk I used to seal HDD #2
You would think this might make him hesitate. No, he goes on...
19. Discovered that that rubbery stuff you dip tool handles into to protect them will dissolve in Turbine Oil too. (bye bye HDD #3)
Several failures aren't enough to stop him.
He's addicted, and definatly hallucinating
20. Discovered that Casting a Hard drive into a block of Acrylic will in fact waterproof it.
Here (almost) a stroke of genius again.
I could have told him that epoxy with some glass does the trick.
Had he told me about this idea before executing it, I might have suggested to add some copper tubing in the casting so he could cool it with water. He didn't tell me.
21. Discovered that sitting a HDD in a vat of 55C Oil will fry it after a few days (HDD #4)
You should have asked me!
22. Decided to sidesink, sandwich and suspend HDD #5 above
vat of oil, not in it.
Probably the treatment is starting to work.
But still he stubbornly holds on to his wacky idea by keeping the rest of the system under oil.
23. Decided the desk PC needed an upgrade, So...
24. Bought Seasonic PSU
25. Upgraded to XP 2100+
26. Dicovered that the ducted 6000Cu wasn't going to cut it, so upgraded to an SLK-800 with a L1A.
27. Replaced Maxtor with a 80gig Cuda IV
28. Replaced GF2Ti with a Radeon 9500.
Here he is trying to fool us.
He is acting completely sane, so we will release him.
29. RMA'd the 9500 repeatedly until I got one that I could softmod into a 9700 Pro and a Fire GL X1. I just switch the drivers back and forth depending on whether I want to do CAD or Games.
ohohh, a short relapse...
30. Replaced to whining ATi HFS with a Zalman HP-80A.
Here we released him, although we fear he will have some occasional relapses.
And that brings us up to the latest project. Which I'm not even going to describe since I'm supposed to be writing an article about it for MikeC.
Rusty, I'm warning you. You will be admitted in the institution again when you continue like this.
I liked it.
I've copied your post, and will keep it in a safe place so I can prove "It can be much worse" when someone questions my doings.
Have a nice weekend.