What are you doing here ?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

What's your main activity here ?

Still not achieved silence : selecting components, asking advice
11%
Stay informed on silence issues
57%
Exchange personnal experience
11%
Running this site, Experienced SPCR'er
9%
Off Topic, arguing with Trip & Bluefront
11%

Total votes: 35

dago
Patron of SPCR

What are you doing here ?

Post by dago » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:41 pm

Ok, so we know that initial connections to this site are usually triggered when the noise made by a PC exceed some threshold. In my case, this was a awful 40mm fan on an ATI card. After begun the quest for silence and its vicious cycle.

Then, for me it stopped ... my PC are quiet enough. So I'm just here to gather info and stay tuned to give advice and now what to buy when time for major update is coming.

So, why are you [still] there ?

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Procrastinating. :P

*goes back to studying for his Spanish final*

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:14 pm

FYI, I voted "staying informed"

Arguing peacefully with decent folk is just an added bonus :)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:54 pm

I'm with Burcakb. I'm just here to see what's out there and what's up and coming on the market.

Winchester Athlon 64s and new 12v power requirements for A64 + 6800s are two new things I've learned on this forum in my current semi-satisfied state.

And that peaceful debates make things more exciting. They certainly beat out reiterating things like, "replace your fan with a Panaflo," or "I'd recommend getting either the Zalman 7000-AlCu or one of the Thermalrights," or "You should replace your power supply with a quieter one, take a look at the recommended pages."

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:02 am

I'm in the first category: building a new PC and am choosing components. This site is absolute gold and I've learned so much from browsing through past threads.

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:46 am

Bluefront and Trip could generate the my offsring were I a female. Some of the best quotes and string inputs have been generated by them.

I feel a little lost now showing up here, I am a silent as I wanna be, feel too stpid to help crit new silencers and not fitting in completely.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:02 am

frosty wrote:I feel a little lost now showing up here, I am a silent as I wanna be, feel too stpid to help crit new silencers and not fitting in completely.
Just say what you know and what your opinion is. That's what I do. There are a lot of people here with far more experience than me, but I still try to help when and where I can.

Also, if you're venturing into new territory for SPCR, always be sure to give your thoughts and advice. Many posts corroborating the same first hand opinions is always a lot stronger than a few posts. Remember than many of the SPCR readers are fairly silent themselves :)

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:58 pm

Thanks Sth, I will recall that. :)

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:06 am

I come here for various reasons, like most of us probably do. First of all, I like keeping up with the new hardware and its ratio to silence. Second, I like reading intelligent threads that are actually educational (unlike many many other forums). Third, I like the guys that I have come to know over the course of about 1 and 1/2 to 2 years. Finally, the off-topic section gets pretty interesting sometimes, as well as the Vendors/Classifieds.

Oh yeah, and ocassionally I'll read something that literally makes me laugh out loud. That's always a bonus.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:54 am

I don't think I can sum it up any better than Wedge.

So... Ditto that.

Pete