My First Post

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Laser Eyes

My First Post

Post by Laser Eyes » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:39 pm

For my first post here is the new system that I am building which is used only for gaming:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 (Socket 939)
Asus A8N-E Premium
Thermalright XP-90 with a Panaflo 92mm fan
Asus Extreme AX800 XT Platinum Edition
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Corsair XMS TwinX 1024 3200XL
Enermax Noisetaker EG475P-VE SFMA 2.0
Super Flower Fan Master SF-609
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 120GB
Sony DRU-710A DVD
LG 16x DVD-Rom GDR-8163B
Iomega 750MB Zip Drive int.
Sony Floppy Disc 1.44MB
Lian-Li PC-60USB silver

Here are some of my concerns. I plan on connecting the two from case fans to the fan controller on the case and the other two case fans and cpu fan to the Super Flower fan controller. I'm interested in knowing just how noisy this system will be. I've chosen the XP-90 instead of the XP-120 because there is a big weight difference between them with a fan installed. The tests that I have seen say the XP-120 is only a minor improvement in performance.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:21 pm

Laser Eyes, welcome to SPCR!

From a hardware/gaming POV I'd say it's a very good selection... do you feel a "but"coming? I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but: I think it will be annoyingly noisy. The main thing you'll hear when you turn it on is the video card I suppose, but that case is not a very solid base for a quiet system (if that is what you're aiming for). For one, it is aluminium which tends resonates at an audible frequency (the dreaded alumium "hum"; as a Lian Li owner twice over I know about that, even though Lian Li uses thicker aluminium than some other cases). Also, it uses 80mm fans for cooling instead of 120mm. Bigger fans can be run slower for comparable airflow, which means less noise. Also, the blowhole in the PC60 does not add much... except more noise.

Even though the XP-90 may not be outperformed by much by the XP-120, there are many more quality quiet 120mm fans than 92mm. From what I've heard here the Panaflo 92mm is not the quietest of the bunch at all.

So, if I were you I'd look into a way to quiet down that videocard by choosing an alternative cooling solution for it, and I'd seriously reconsider that case. If you are set on it, either be prepared to mod it extensively or to live with the added noise. The Lian Li case fans are not the worst you could have (undervolted at least) but I would still consider swapping them out for quieter ones. At the very least soft-mount them to reduce case resonance.

The reviewed Silverstone Temjin TJ06 PC case sounds like a good alternative; all you need to do there is swap the 80mm fan.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:39 pm

Nexus 92mm fan is very quiet - quieter than the Panaflo and should provide adequate cooling.

Laser Eyes

Post by Laser Eyes » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:24 am

teejay, thanks for the welcome! Yes the video card will be noisy, but I guess that's the price I pay for wanting to play 3D games at max settings. Will it be much noisier than my current Asus V8200T5 Deluxe? What are my options to cool the video card without the noise? If the case fans are noisy I'll run them at low speed or take them out completely so long as the system doesn't overheat.

burcakb, will the nexus fan fit on the XP-90. The reviews that I have read about installing a fan on the XP-90 have warned that not every type of fan can be used with the fan clips.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:26 am

I think you're referring to the closed corners problem. That's a feature of the 120mm nexus fans, not the 92mm. You should have no problems.

I can't remember offhand which aftermarket cooler will work on the X800s. Do a search in the forums, it was discussed previously.