Need help vanquishing my demons (high idle temps)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dAvies.lOcker

Need help vanquishing my demons (high idle temps)

Post by dAvies.lOcker » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:47 am

Hi, n00b to all this.

I am running an AMD Athlon 2400+ @ 2.0GHz (not oc'd)

I am worried that my idle temps are too high ( CPU 47degrees CASE 35degrees). I have seen the same CPU oc'd with lower temps when loaded!

My question is can anyone reccomend some good fans that will give me a substantial drop in idle/load temps whilst at the same time keeping my comp relatively quiet?????

I have a stock CPU fan and an 80mm case fan at the back - both of which sound like a harrier taking off!

Plz help!!

D.L

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:56 am

What is the motherboard, current heatsink/fan, PSU and case?
Idle temps are meaningless, don't get concerned with those at all. Only 100% load temps matter. And even then, unless you experience stability problems, they do not matter.

dAvies.lOcker

Post by dAvies.lOcker » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:15 pm

Tigr wrote:What is the motherboard, current heatsink/fan, PSU and case?
Idle temps are meaningless, don't get concerned with those at all. Only 100% load temps matter. And even then, unless you experience stability problems, they do not matter.
Mobo: MSI KT6V series
HS/Fan: just stock i believe - asaka fan and HS - dont kno model
PSU: 250W
Case: Generic beige one, one 80mm exhuast fan at the back - no others except for CPU and PSU ones

I will run CPU burn-in later and then post the load temps.

right. Load temps are as follows (using SpeedFan) CPU 52*C and Case 38*C.

Just for comparison the MSI Core Centre (mobo) is giving: CPU 55*C and case 38*C!!