Which browser do you usually use?

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

MS Internet Explorer
13%
Mozilla Firefox
73%
Netscape Navigator
No votes
Opera
10%
Other
No votes
Alternate between 2 or more browsers
5%

Total votes: 88

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:15 am

Our tracking systems tell us that 63% of visitors are using IE, and 25% are using Netscape Navigator, with Opera at 4.2% and unknown at 6%. Mozilla Firefox is not specifically accounted for because it is too new. Hence this poll.

We're also interested in finding out how many browser windows or tabs you keep open while visiting SPCR. Please see the next poll.
Last edited by MikeC on Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:24 am

Woohoo!!!! 2nd vote in for Firefox.

nici

Post by nici » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:10 am

Firefox.. 8) Like it much more than IE, especially the tab-function :)

york

Post by york » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:45 am

I use opera, love the send to tray, irc, and mouse gestures options.
I leave open 3 tabs.

jimmyfergus

Post by jimmyfergus » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:59 am

york wrote:I use opera, love the send to tray, irc, and mouse gestures options.
I leave open 3 tabs.
I love mouse gestures and tabbed browsing. Can't go back.

When I last used Opera as my main browser (about 18 months ago), it was faster and slicker than Firefox is even now. The banner ads annoyed me though.

However, I use Firefox because of the extensions - you can get your mouse gestures, minimize-to-tray (is that "send to tray"?) etc.., and anything else you are likely to want by way of downloadable extensions.

The only Opera feature I really miss is decent page zooming. You can zoom either text or images in Firefox, but not both linked together.

I suspect this poll will be skewed by the fact that IE users don't care enough to vote, and Firefox etc. enthusiasts do...

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:50 am

jimmyfergus wrote:You can zoom either text or images in Firefox, but not both linked together.
Whoa, how do you do that in Firefox?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:13 pm

Firefox, of course.

york

Post by york » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:29 pm

jimmyfergus wrote:
york wrote:I use opera, love the send to tray, irc, and mouse gestures options.
I leave open 3 tabs.
The banner ads annoyed me though.

The only Opera feature I really miss is decent page zooming. You can zoom either text or images in Firefox, but not both linked together.
yeah I ended up buying the program to kill the banner and tapping the 0 key to zoom in is great for looking at case layouts images or small text people use on forums...

jimmyfergus

Post by jimmyfergus » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:33 am

sthayashi wrote:
jimmyfergus wrote:You can zoom either text or images in Firefox, but not both linked together.
The zooming of text is built in, with a few accessors - my favourite is ctrl plus the mouse wheel.

I do zooming of images with the ImageZoom extension http://www.yellowgorilla.net/imagezoom/, which seems to no longer be available through the normal mozilla.org extensions area... Perhaps there's a better extension that has replaced it. Anyway, it gives a submenu off the right-mouse menu to allow you to zoom any individual image to your heart's content. Unfortunately, doesn't do any nice interpolation, so you get jaggies.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:42 am

jimmyfergus wrote:
sthayashi wrote:
The zooming of text is built in, with a few accessors - my favourite is ctrl plus the mouse wheel.
Cool. Yeah, it works. So does Ctrl-+ and Ctrl-- (I just saw view->Text Size).

Now I have to re-evaluate the need to have Opera be my browser of choice for my HTPC. I used Opera because it could zoom text, which is useful for viewing the occasional webpage.

edz

Post by edz » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:32 am

Avant Browser (IE)

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:10 pm

Vote #16 for the flaming canine.

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:00 pm

Make that 17. :D

Actually... Is Firefox identified in logs as Netscape Navigator?

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:15 am

Edward Ng wrote:Vote #16 for the flaming canine.
Vote #Blackjack for me. :lol:

Jan

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:30 pm

Too bad there's no way to change your vote, I've just gotten fed up with firefox crashing(all firefox windows simultaneously disappearing), I'm using Konqueror from now on, at least for the forums. So that should be at least one vote for "other".

Ooo, built in spell checking.

ckolivas

Post by ckolivas » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:00 pm

mathias wrote:Too bad there's no way to change your vote, I've just gotten fed up with firefox crashing(all firefox windows simultaneously disappearing)
In my experience this has been due to a dud extension (gestures) I had installed and not realised it was causing the problem. After removing it the problem went away. Of course your mileage may vary, but choice is the most important thing we have thank goodness! (and I note you're almost certainly using linux too ;))

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:32 pm

I didn't have any extensions installed, so it can't be that. Not that I'm terribly interested in fixing it anyway, I might as well give this browser a chance.

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:39 pm

I use Opera since 4.0 Beta. It's still feels faster than the fox and it has a great deal of customizing as well. For dialups the "use cached images only" is priceless. And the "quick preferences" are very cool, too.
Two things are annoying me at the moment:
1. no flashblock - except through blocking all plugins
2. since 7.0 a strange cycling behaviour when you close a tab - basically you always go back to an already read tab, but I'd rather want to read the unread ones!

ilh

Post by ilh » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:22 pm

Mozilla (that isn't Firefox). I assume I have to vote "Other".

yeha

Post by yeha » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:35 pm

although opera is noticeably faster at rendering many of the pages i frequent (ocforums.com is brutal when opening 4 or so forums simultaneously), i can't live without firefox's extensions.

my dream browser would be gecko with a polished native win32 frontend (k-meleon is on its way..), one-thread-per-tab/window with the foreground window given higher priority than background windows (when i load multiple tabs, the tab i'm looking at should be responsive at the expense of rendering other non-visible tabs slower) and an extension system similar to firefox. i guess it's just a matter of time.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:51 pm

I'm using Firefox, and normally have 2-3 tabs open.

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:58 pm

Opera, Firefox, and IE in that order. at most times, I'll have all three open but I use the Opera 8 Beta for the majority of my browsing.
As a former Netscape employee, I'm a wee bit picky about my browser functionality. Besides, it's only a matter of time before someone starts tailoring badness for Mozilla.

jensend

Post by jensend » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:25 pm

I use regular Mozilla as well (1.7.x), but unlike ilh I'll assume that since they share the same rendering engine and lots of other code that a vote for FF is a vote for Moz.

MikeC, I'm surprised- any half-decent server log analyzer, much less tracking software, ought to allow for simple user-agent stats, which are quite sufficient for identifying any browser which does not spoof its user-agent string.

Number12

Post by Number12 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:33 pm

someone put me onto FF late last year and it has been excellent. Can't go back to IE anymore.

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:54 pm

Opera 8.0 just came out. I get the idea that with Mozilla's newfound popularity, people will soon design spyware capable of exploiting it. Opera's customizability is largely what appeals to me, that plus the fact that it's lightening fast.

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:41 pm

I have a feeling you're right, Klaatu, but I still use firefox for now (2-3 tabs on average). Although I don't know how much more market share Firefox can garner, than the ~7% it has right now....the vast majority of "average joe" computer users will always use IE, just because it's already there...even if they install something else, they'll be back on IE as soon as the first "Internet Explorer is not your current browser. Would you like to correct this?" dialog box pops up. they have to click yes, of course, for fear that Bill Gates will come to their house and shave their cats and have his way with their women.

scinju

Post by scinju » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:45 pm

Bill Gates? Women?