Postcript to PSU modding article

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Added a short <!-- BBCode Start --><A HREF="http://modules.php?op=modload&name=Sect ... d=9&page=5" TARGET="_blank">POSTSCRIPT</A><!-- BBCode End -->to the PSU modding article after an incredibly simple idea whacked me in the face last night. You can add direct fan speed control to any thermistor-controlled with a $1 potentiometer...
<BR>
<BR>
[addsig]

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Very nice, now you can just drill a small hole on the psu and stick that knob through it and you've just upgraded to an fma version! I should try this...although I don't really need to...should be fun (and maybe shocking;))
<br>
<br>-Ken
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Yes, it is really such a simple idea. Now the inexpensive SH power supply I used (and modded) as described in my P4 article is looking like a REALLY attractive deal. $55 Cdn. One of the fans is on par with a Panaflo for noise & airflow, so you get a free fan (by pulling out the other one). Add a $1 pot & you have a PSU that is virtually silent on low but perfectly safe in hot weather with the fan set high.
[addsig]