A Mini Review: Logitech diNovo Cordless Media Keyboard

Closely moderated reviews by forum members willing to share their experience and accept stiff peer review. Open only to registered forum members.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

daba
Friend of SPCR

A Mini Review: Logitech diNovo Cordless Media Keyboard

Post by daba » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:33 pm

I got this diNovo keyboard and mouse setup today due to a recommendation from Edward Ng. This is the non-bluetooth version.

Click the photos for larger pictures!
Image Image
Image Image

Taking a deeper look at the noise produced, I could rank the diNovo as the second quietest of all the keyboards I have previously owned:

1. Foldable/roll-up keyboard
2. diNovo
3. Kensington SlimType
4. Logitech UltraX/PSK5000
5. CoolerMaster Aluminum Q
6. EluminX lighted keyboard
7. Logitech Media Keyboard (same style as LX500)
8. Logitech Cordless Desktop Elite
9. Microsoft Natural keyboard (roommate's)

It's much cheaper ($125 shipped) than it's bluetooth cousin, and its design is splendid. The detachable numpad serves as a calculator, numerical pad, remote control, clock, and a thermometer (new in this version). These features can be adjusted for 24hr or 12hr and temperature in Celcius or Fahrenheit. I was able to use the MediaPad from roughly 15 feet away, although I haven't tested it from longer distances. Logitech includes a protective cover for the MediaPad as well. In addition, the diNovo full sized keyboard with laptop sized keys: ergonomically, this wasn't a steep jump from my Logitech Media Keyboard. In addition, the detachable wireless adapter is great for notebook users like me, who can take the included notebook mouse around with them.

However, there's two things I dislike about it: The inferior mouse, and the keyboard-lag. I'm accustomed to using a Razer Viper so this mouse certainly was a downgrade in performance, and the keyboard has some significant lag when typing. I downloaded the latest drivers which don't really help. If anyone could offer some assistance this would be great.

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with this keyboard/mouse combination. It's quiet, looks great, and has wonderful range. If you have the money and don't mind the lag (or perhaps don't type as fast as I do), this would be a great addition to your PC or HTPC.

Pros:
- Stylish
- Quiet
- Good range
- Variety of functions
- Detachable NumPad with cover
- Ergonomic
- Great for notebook users

Cons:
- Keyboard lag
- Second rate notebook mouse
- Price may be too high for some ($125)
Last edited by daba on Mon May 02, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:29 pm

could you explain what the USB-key looking-like-thing is? I'm confused.

slipknottin

Post by slipknottin » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:30 pm

does the mouse make a high pitched whine when you move it around? My microsoft mouse does, and as I quiet the PC, the mouse becomes more noticable.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:00 pm

wooglin wrote:could you explain what the USB-key looking-like-thing is? I'm confused.
This is the reason why I said it was great for notebook users, as you can disconnect this hub and take the mouse, or even the whole keyboard with you. Just plug this USB adapter in anywhere you want, and presto, you have functionality to your mouse and keyboard. This is an ideal setup for notebook users who want to take the mouse with them.
slipknottin wrote:does the mouse make a high pitched whine when you move it around? My microsoft mouse does, and as I quiet the PC, the mouse becomes more noticable.
The mouse makes no noises whatsoever. It also has an on/off button to save battery life. It's identical to Logitech's Notebook Mouse.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:38 pm

What is the width of the keyboard with the numpad detached?

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:59 am

15.5''x8''

mei

Post by mei » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:33 am

It looks like a very nice keyboard. I was thinking about buying diNovo, but then i changed my mind when i saw the price, so i brougth a UltraX flat last week, also a very nice keyboard.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:06 am

diNovo
One big downside is that media pad display works ONLY with M$ software - WinMediaPlayer & MSN Messenger. Personally, I use other software Winamp & MirandaIM which are not supported.

UltraX
I've read many posts on various forums where users reported that paint from UltraX keys (letters & numbers) wears of in about 6 months. Same issue had pre-MX1000 mices.

Don't get me wrong - i really like(d) Logitech quality products, but this is what i've read on the net.

Labtec ultra flat keyboard
I've bought it recently. I was looking for small quiet keyboard with notebook flat keys. It was really cheap $25. And it is about notebook quality. Before you buy, be sure to check if its slightly changed keys layout and not "L" shape enter (which i prefer) fits you. I can live with that. One big downside - it has a wire :(, but as a bonus you have USB and PS2 connector

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:12 am

VERiON wrote: UltraX
I've read many posts on various forums where users reported that paint from UltraX keys (letters & numbers) wears of in about 6 months.
My UltraX is around a year old, and is used 10-12 hrs per day, every day. There is absolutely zero paint wear on any of the white letters or numbers. The only wear at all is a slight shiny-ness to the tops of the most used keys.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:53 am

I love the 'feel' of the DiNovo keyboards - very solid with neither too much travel or too little.

Am considering getting one but what I'm not sure about is whether I can use my MX1000 mouse or whether I HAVE to use the mouse that comes with the DiNovo.

Does anyone know? Thanks.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:21 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote: My UltraX is around a year old, and is used 10-12 hrs per day, every day. There is absolutely zero paint wear
Glad to hear that, because UltraX is good alternative when you don't have money for diNovo.
davidstone28 wrote: Am considering getting one but what I'm not sure about is whether I can use my MX1000 mouse
it won't work with diNovo bluetooth version (black version) because MX1000 is radio mouse (not BT mouse such as MX900).

diNovo in this post is "diNovo for notebooks" (silver-black version) cheaper version, and it has a radio connection (not BT). Maybe it can work with MX1000 radio mouse.

My advice - ask Logitech directly :) and let us know.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:11 pm

VERiON wrote:diNovo
One big downside is that media pad display works ONLY with M$ software - WinMediaPlayer & MSN Messenger. Personally, I use other software Winamp & MirandaIM which are not supported.
My MediaPad works with Winamp. I can control Next, Previous, Stop, Play/Pause with it as well.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:36 am

diNovo in this post is "diNovo for notebooks" (silver-black version) cheaper version, and it has a radio connection (not BT). Maybe it can work with MX1000 radio mouse.

My advice - ask Logitech directly :) and let us know.[/quote]

Apparently you can use both at the same time:-

link

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:56 am

Judging from the pictures, it appears that the keys are a little different for the diNovo compared to the UltraX - the keys seem to have a bigger pitch, i.e., the keys seem as if they have more vertical space to move up and down. They also seem a bit more curved.

As with the UltraX, the keys, if you ask me, from the pictures and looking at my own UltraX, have a shorter pitch. The nice thing I like about the ULtraX is that you don't need any software whatsoever to use the shortcut buttons. The buttons I guess rely on your defaults, i.e., WWW launches your default browser and so forth. My only gripe about it is that the Favorites button only works in IE, and I use FireFox. The textured rubber feet @ the bottom front is a nice touch.

I haven't used the diNovo yet, my friend has one, I may just yoink his for a day or so...

Anyways, UltraX or DiNovo. $35 + tax @ NewEgg or $200+... I'll take $35 ;P

It's all up to you ;P

EDIT: Thermometer - what temperature is it reading, your system's, or is it your physical geographical temperature, i.e., obtained from a weather service? Is it software controlled? if it had a real thermometer in it that'd be pretty spiffy, could go and shove it in your case and find out your ambient temp... it'd be a $100+ thermometer! ;P

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:45 pm

Actually, Amazon.com has this now for $117, and CompUSA has it for $100. It also features portability, the freedom of wireless, and more thoughtful aesthetics than the UltraX. Don't forget the added functionality of the SetPoint software. The $200 Bluetooth version is also quickly dropping in price, and includes the MX900 mouse. Overall, I don't think the price Logitech charges is too much.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:51 pm

When I meant $200 i meant the full-blown version of the DiNovo.

I still like my UltraX ;P

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:50 pm

There's only two versions of the diNovo, the one for notebooks (reviewed in this post) and the "full-blown" Bluetooth version, which can be had for ~$165 or less. Yes, it used to be $200+, but not anymore.

Also, the temperature feature is not software based. I tested it around a heater and the temperature went up. It seems quite accurate as well.

JazzJackRabbit

Re: A Mini Review: Logitech diNovo Cordless Media Keyboard

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:26 pm

daba wrote:However, there's two things I dislike about it: The inferior mouse, and the keyboard-lag. I'm accustomed to using a Razer Viper so this mouse certainly was a downgrade in performance, and the keyboard has some significant lag when typing.
How significant the lag is? Is it half a second, less, more? Thanks.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:39 pm

The lag is definitely less than half a second. It just bothers me.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:37 pm

Thanks, can you tell me how much less? The keyboard is not for me but for my dad, he is used to wireless keyboards and the lag, I'm just afraid that the lag is going to be too bad.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:05 pm

It was too laggy for me but I type pretty fast. I can't measure the lag time.

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:03 am

davidstone28: Am considering getting one but what I'm not sure about is whether I can use my MX1000 mouse or whether I HAVE to use the mouse that comes with the DiNovo.

Does anyone know? Thanks.

Yup, I had to have a different mouse, the supplied one sux. Logitech said
You can use any of the following mice with the diNovo Cordless Desktop for Notebooks.

- Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse (M-RAG97)
- Logitech Cordless Click! Plus Optical Mouse (M-RAA89)
- Logitech Cordless Click! Plus Rechargeable Optical Mouse (M-RAK89B)
- Logitech Cordless Click! Optical Mouse (M-RAA88, M-RAS88A)
I can confirm that the last one works, and that at least one logitech cordless mouse not on the list doesn't work - so I'd stick to one of these four. :)

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:02 am

I bought one of these today and agree with all the original reviewer's comments.

Two things annoy me:-

(1) there is noticeable keyboard lag which is going make a noticeable difference if you play fast action 'frag em up' type games. For office applications its fine.

(2) lettering on the keyboard is very faint and difficult to see in poorly lit conditions.

Other points:-

(1) Would prefer a single tone colour scheme rather than the silver/black mix.
(2) The feel of the keyboard is similar to but slightly better than the Logitech UltraX keyboard but not as good as the Thinkpad keyboards. There's still a little bit of a 'rubber dome' feel underneath the key caps.
(3) keyboard is quiet
(4) you can use the keyboard with any mouse of your choice (I have the MX1000)
(5) shame you can't make the media pad keys programmable / replicate main keyboard keys (you can but the functionality is limited).
(6) the keypad doubles as a simple remote control (useful for watching videos/DVDs)

Overall, a good keyboard even if it is overpriced (£70 in the UK).
Last edited by davidstone28 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:10 am

VERiON wrote:diNovo
I think they've updated the software:-

Changes in this full release of SetPoint:
Support for computers with built-in Bluetooth radio. If the system has WIDCOMM Bluetooth software BTW 1.4.2.21 or above, Logitech Connection Wizard will guide you to connect the devices with the internal radio.

Whats new in the included Widcomm Bluetooth Software:
New WIDCOMM Bluetooth software BTW 3.0.1.913 in this web release.
Stack is Bluetooth 1.2 compatible.
Faster connection.
Stack has new Basic Imaging Profile (BIP).

Supported Media Players:
-Windows Media Player 9.0
-WinAmp
-iTunes
-MediaLife
-Music Match

Supported browsers:
-Internet Explorer 5.0 and later
-Netscape 4 and later
-AOL 4 and later
-MSN Explorer 6 and higher

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downl ... entid=9599

ICERx911

Post by ICERx911 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:09 pm

They still don't support AIM or firefox yet....that's the only thing that bothered me about the diNovo. i also don't like how the mail notifier works for ms outlook only. maybe they support the gmail notifier too.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:50 pm

Hello:
acaurora wrote:Anyways, UltraX or DiNovo. $35 + tax @ NewEgg or $200+... I'll take $35 ;P
Actually, the Ultra X is just $26 shipped now at NewEgg...

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:08 pm

Does the Logitech DiNovo (RF version, not spendier Bluetooth) work for BIOS edits and in DOS mode?

That question also applies to any PSK-5000 users out there in SPCR-land, too, if you're watching.

How long does the DiNovo take to initialize at boot-up?

Does the lack of Caps Lock indicator on the DiNovo bother you?

Got a birthday coming in a few weeks, so I have to pick out the present (keyboard) I want! I'm waffling between the RF DiNovo, PSK-5000 and UltraX.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:50 pm

If you mean BIOS menus on bootup, yes its works fine.

Startup time is negligible.

Lack of caplock doesn't annoy me personally - don't really look at that light on a 'normal keyboard' anyway - also DiNivo has big green OSD when you cap lock on/off, or change volume etc

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:32 pm

david,

Thanks for the quick, direct reply. Now that you've had yours for a week+, any further comments? Is the lag becoming irritating?

How useful are the application functions on the F keys? Note: I'm using supported media players and browsers from the list you provided on 4/6.

I've seen some criticisms of the SetPoint software provided with the DiNovo. Your impressions?

Chris Ochre

Post by Chris Ochre » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:56 am

sorry, but it seems like a waste of money, especially when it can be outperformed by the most basic wired keyboard (with regard to the lag). who needs a thermometer on their keyboard? a budget calculator will be much better than the built-in thing too.

the ultra x looks to have everything you need with a similar design and none of the cons or questionable extras of the dinovo.