Cooling a stock standard Athlon 1.4Ghz Original

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Cooling a stock standard Athlon 1.4Ghz Original

Post by starsky » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:21 pm

I have an original Athlon 1.4ghz, and I am just starting down the silencing path.

I am just about to order me an Antec Sonata.... just waiting on pccasegear.com to get them in stock....

But, back to the topic... Given I am highly likely to upgrade to Athlon64 at the end of the year, I am looking for a cheap and nasty noise reduction on the Athlon 1.4Ghz. I have a standard heatsink/fan on it, and was thinking I could just replace the fan...

Are you able to separate the orignal fan from the heatsink?
If so, is it a standard size, 60mm ?
If so, would people recommend a 60-80mm bracket and an 80mm panaflo@1900rpm ?

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:47 pm

1) Yup you can remove the original fan from the retail heatsink. I'd suggest taking it off the chip before cause the torque from the screwdriver might crack the core.

2) I got by with just sticking a Panaflo (80mm medium speed) on it at full voltage. I just secured 1 screw tight enough and let the rest overhang the heatsink.

Apparantly the Athlon64 is supported by the Zalman 7000CU, I would get that if you want, though support is theoretical for now (no one I know actually owns a 64 or a Z7000).

For regular XPs, I hear that the Vantec SLK-800s are great also... I'm sure they'll also work with the 64s.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:02 pm

Welcome to the Silent Obsession!

Before I'd try rpc180's idea I'd get myself a Zalman fanmate and use that to start cranking down the speed on the stock CPU fan. It's cheaper than upgrading the fan, and even if you do end up upgrading later you'll always find a use for a Fanmate.

Using a 60 to 80mm adaptor will work alittle better than rpc180's system of just bolting the bigger fan to the heatsink. By pulling the fan away from the Heatsink you'll reduce the "dead spot" effect caused by the hub, you'll reduce the turbulance noise from the fan, and all the air will be forced through the heatsink, instead of some of it just spilling off the side. The downside is that you have to buy the adaptor. But if you do alittle shopping around you can find one for only a couple of bucks.

Any heatsink you buy now for a Socket A (any AMD product since the K6-2, as well as PIII's and Celerons are Socket A) won't work on an Athlon64. To support the new architecture of the 64s they are going from a 462 pin socket to a 754 pin for the Athlon64's and a 940 pin for the Opterons (!!)

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:09 pm

Thanks For the notes..

So the fan on the original Athlon is stock 60mm? This is not an XP

I am interested in keeping this baby cool aswell as quiet so I might go for the 60 to 80 adapter and a panaflo. The Athlon 1.4 was a VERY hot processor, most of the XP's were cooler.

In Aussie $ this should only set me back about $40 (about US$28)

I will leave the H/S on there and just do the fan as a first preference, as no point spending too much b4 I get the athlon64.

Does anyone yet have any clues about power for the Athlon64? I assume the ATX 12v p/s in the Sonata will be sufficient.

counterpt

Post by counterpt » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:54 am

I have a 1400 on one of my comptuers as well. And I agree it's hotter than xp's I have and hotter than slower chips too. I eneded up getting a 80-60mm adapter and a zalman fanmate and used an extra generic case fan with it. I adjusted the fan rpm until the temp was acceptable. I didn't want to spend much on it as it's an extra computer. I figured I can use the parts I got in another comptuer one day. It's not as quiet as I'd like but it's much better than before.
Hope this helps.

starsky
Friend of SPCR

What speed & cfm was the 80mm fan?

Post by starsky » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:35 pm

counter... What was the rpm and cfm of the fan (if you know).

I just want to make sure Iget a panaflo that at stock voltages will have sufficient air flow. EDIT: I will start from lowest DBA and work my way up.... hence why cfm is important to me ;)

counterpt

Post by counterpt » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:46 am

Sorry I really don't know. I have the fan hooked up directly to the psu (the mb 3 pin hookup is broken, my fault). The fanmante is somewhare close to the middle setting, the fan is a cheap extra case fan that's not particularly quiet.
Sorry can't give you numbers. All I know is I got it to be the same temp as the 60 mm fan but it's quieter.

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:09 pm

Step by Step....

I have ordered the Antec Sonata and a Zalman NorthBridge Heatsink ZM-NB32, and I am picking them up tomorrow afternoon.

This is my first step toward silent computing !!!

I will leave the CPU fan for now and see how it goes... but should I turn it upside down and have the air blowing onto the CPU ?

How will this affect airflow and noise ?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:55 pm

my 2 cents... only mess with the stock HSF if you really HAVE to. The HS is lousy and a 60>80mm adaptor really is not that satisfactory. No substitute for a higher performance HS with a quiet 80mm fan. Get the cheapest good one you can find, you can probably recycle it. SVC.com has--

Thermalright AX-7 Socket A Cooler
Regular price: $27.99
Sale price: $17.99

That can be tough to fit on some mobo; they also have the sk7 for $2 more.

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:21 pm

Thanks Mike.

I will make that the next on my list to get..

Unfortunately the shipping kills the cost when we are in Australia, so I have to do heaps of research to find the right stuff at the right price.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:26 pm

Oops, sorry, didn't see your Aussie location. Mebbe you and other Aussies prowling SPCR could start up a thread about good silent-simpatico PC shops down under.

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:52 pm

I will do some research on the weekend, and write a round up for a sticky.... "Silnet PC Gear in Aus"

The best I have found so far, is
www.pccasegear.com

They have the Sonata/Lanboy, Swiftec Heat Sinks, panaflo's and and others..... but still I move my case round too much for the SLK800 Thermaltake... I am inclined to wait till I set up the Sonata and the northbridge Heatsink tomorrow... and then do some listening... I am also due for a Motherboard and Chip Upgrade mid year, so I might get a Heat Sink then.....

woohoo only 19 hours till SOnata ;)

I will post an opinion (not a review becasue cause I don't have any gear to measure decibels) here tomorrow about this time..