Jordan's Quiet DampTek'd Home Theater PC

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:52 pm

Good job, Jordan. Though I'd love to have seen more of the HTPC-ish stuff that you did, I suppose that's beyond the scope of this site. BTW, if you're considering a new video card for your HDTV, you might also want to consider a capture card. With a simple Digital TV capture card, you can turn your HTPC into a TiVo.

MikeC, were you the one responsible for the noise measurement? Otherwise, I'd have to ask Jordan where he got his measurement equipment from.

BTW, any ideas on the total power draw of the system?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:49 pm

sthayashi wrote:MikeC, were you the one responsible for the noise measurement? Otherwise, I'd have to ask Jordan where he got his measurement equipment from.

BTW, any ideas on the total power draw of the system?
If you have to ask, then you read too fast... :lol:
the article wrote:But quiet to my ears with the computer in a cabinet across the room is a different thing from sitting right beside the computer in the open. So, in order to give you a good idea of how loud this system was running, I brought it to the SPCR lab to get measurements, audio recordings and analysis by the man himself.
Power draw -- I think it was plugged into the power meter, but we didn't record it. Whatever, it was low -- probably under 130W max in AC.
Last edited by MikeC on Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

sensei

Post by sensei » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:27 am

MikeC's comments and your test results with the foam/HD damping really confirmed a nagging suspition I've had since building my new system.

I opted for a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream (see the case before you judge, it's quite nice) with unusually thin aluminium walls (not so nice, but I don't like the look of current antecs), and a Acoustipack deluxe kit, but subjectively, my HD's sound louder now.

Next 2 projects: damping of HD's (bungee-cord suspension) and of fan in my PSU (modded to nexus 120mm, but it makes MUCH more noise at same rpm as my identical, rubber mounted, case fan), though this might be worsened by restrictions in airflow close to the PSU fan.

Cob

Post by Cob » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:52 am

This computer is an HTPC as far as it is connected to my television and my home theatre setup. It can play divx movies and play mp3's through my stereo. I've considered the addition of a capture card, but moved away from that idea as I don't really watch a ton of tv anyway and wouldn't care to save the shows. :D It's a computer built around needs.

Also, after running the computer for a month or so, I find it's not getting used as much as we thought it would, so I probably won't even upgrade the video card. The GeforceMX4000 is fine for the amount it gets used.

I had dabbled in the use of Meedio as an HTPC frontend to control this computer as well, but when it came down to it, it was easier to use the program ACDSee to control all the picture and slideshow viewing and just use Explorer to find the movies I wanted to watch with WMP10.

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:11 am

A well done article, very nice.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:09 pm

Hehe it was odd seeing my name on the home page. Just a shame it wasn't actually me :(

:)

Cob

Post by Cob » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:52 pm

Jordan wrote:Hehe it was odd seeing my name on the home page. Just a shame it wasn't actually me :(

:D Just count yourself lucky you share one of the greatest names ever!

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:26 am

Cob wrote:
Jordan wrote:Hehe it was odd seeing my name on the home page. Just a shame it wasn't actually me :(

Which one? "Michael" Jordan????? :lol: :lol: :lol: (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

By the way, it's a really good article you wrote. Nice work, Cob! :wink:

Dalbert

Post by Dalbert » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:32 am

Agreed, this is an excellently written article. In particular,
-- Concise and to the point
-- Appropriate pictures
-- Great selection of links to products and spcr articles and threads. This alone will make this article a very handy reference in the future, since readers won't have to scour the archives for the info themselves.

Great job!

Cob

Post by Cob » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:10 am

Slaugh wrote:
Cob wrote:

Which one? "Michael" Jordan????? :lol: :lol: :lol: (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

By the way, it's a really good article you wrote. Nice work, Cob! :wink:
Actually, the name is Jordan Micheal Menu, thankyou very much. :D

And thanks for all the great comments.

BigDu21

Post by BigDu21 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:33 am

Good article--My next computer will be a HTPC, so the info here will be useful.

I also can comment some on the foam-type issues. Back before I was reading this site, I tried some of that Akasa PaxMate stuff on an aluminum case I had that was running 3 80 mm fans, plus a TT CPU cooler and power supply. (yes, for reference, it did sound like a jet engine, and I thought it was pretty cool for the first 2-3 days.)

The Paxmate actually helped quite a bit on that case--just by dampening all the vibrations off the case from the components (nope, nothing suspended/de-coupled from the case).

I think the foams and such are very dependant on the case and what you've already done to make a quiet case. If you've already got quiet compents and thing decoupled you aren't going to see much difference, unless you really get some good foam and apply it correctly. On the other end, if you've got a system that's a jet engine, any foam is better than nothing--even if it just stops the case vibrations.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sat May 20, 2006 2:36 pm

MikeC: Seeing as how SPCR reviewed Acoustipack many moons ago, and got a favorable impression of it, did you change your testing methodology when looking at the effectiveness of the Damptek? Or were they equally effective/ineffective? The wording in this article was a little unclear since it didn't compare the two, and made it sound like all dampening agents provide almost zero improvement.