Getting rid of a buzzing noise?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Gandalf

Getting rid of a buzzing noise?

Post by Gandalf » Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:03 am

Well it's not really a coil buzz, it sounds more like air leaking out of a tire (which obviously can't be the case in a pc, but that's what it sounds like anyway). It usually occurs during the scrolling, but it's becoming more frequent all the time. I guess it *is* my (zalman) PSU after all. So what can I do about it? I read some suggestions regarding superglue .. :?.

- bram

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:00 am

What mobo do you have?

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:24 am

An ASUS A7N8X (nforce2), I actually wish I hadn't bought this thing.

bugeja

Post by bugeja » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:30 pm

i have an OEM power supply and a GIGABYTE 7VRX motherboard...and I have the smae noise when scrolling. This has been discussed in the power supply thread too not long ago!!

Don't know the solution yet...I'm waiting for a new case and PSU, maybe I change those and I don't hear that sound again, i'll tell you.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:37 pm

An ASUS A7N8X (nforce2), I actually wish I hadn't bought this thing.
Hmmm. I have an MSI K7N420 (also a nForce board), and I find I get a sort of high-pitched buzzing/whistling when the case temperature rises. The noise comes and goes when I move the cursor from window to window on the desktop.

I wonder if it might be a feature of some nForce solutions?

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:40 am

If it's a feature it's an undocumented one for sure ;). I wish I could find out exactly what it was so I could eliminate it. It's extremely annoying :(. Especially while watching movies!

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:57 am

I haven't worked out where the noise is coming from. It might be the motherboard, or it could be my power supply. I didn't have this experience with the same power supply before swapping motherboards though. Hmmm. :?

Kawboy

Post by Kawboy » Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:06 pm

I've had the buzzing sound occur to me before when moving the mouse and especially when scrolling a page in windows. You'll never guess what it was, so I'll tell you- the hard drive!

It has happened to me with 3 separate drives and it either changed pitch or disappeared depending on what HD was in the system. It has only happened to me with Quantum HDs, but I've had three that caused that problem- 13.6 Fireball KX(?) 7200, 15gig 4500 LCT, and 20 gig Fireball AS 7200. Each drive made the sound in a different case with a different motherboard, too. One gave me light static through the soundcard when the heads moved, too. The problem disappeared in my Acer AX6BC PIII 800 when I put in the Barracuda IV, and reappeared when I put the 20gig Quantum drive back in my wife's computer with the same MB but different case and PSU after I upgraded the game machine. The 13.6 gig also gave me some soundcard static that disappeared when I put the 15gig in, but reappeared in my friends computer because he got that drive from me.

You mileage may vary, but the problem isn't always the obvious.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:51 pm

I have heard a similar sound. Mine is a whining sound and seems to be caused by the p/s fan speeding up because of high case temps. If you look at CPU usage when you scroll it can reach 50% or atleast me. It's interesting that scrolling causes a system to heat up that much.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:01 pm

AndrewC wrote: If you look at CPU usage when you scroll it can reach 50% or atleast me. It's interesting that scrolling causes a system to heat up that much.
Confirmed. Interesting :shock: I've had this problem crop up in PSUs in the past, but it seems to have dissipated by itself. It seems very combination-specific, but happens more with PSUs that already tend to be buzzy or whiny.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:13 am

Scrolling a window will generate quite a stream of redraw requests and if the window contents are reasonably complex I can see how it might cause quite a bit of CPU load.