Folding@Work

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dgouldin

Folding@Work

Post by dgouldin » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:41 am

How much network traffic does folding generate? I want to use my machine at work to fold, but I definitely do not want to clog up the network with unwanted traffic.

From what I can tell, the program downloads a work unit and does not communicate with the server until that unit is done. Is this assumption correct?

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:09 am

yep, its pretty minimal on the network and internet as well.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:53 am

As far as I understand it, it works like this. Every time you finish a work unit, your computer will access the internet, send the results back, download a new WU, and then start working on that one. So if you finish a work unit every day, F@H will access the internet for <30 seconds once a day.

Not too much of a resource hog, I'd say.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:17 am

Yeah, Folding only accesses the internet to send and recieve work units. The units are pretty small, a couple of megs max.

If using network resources is a problem you can set Folding to ask before using the network. (It's one of the options in the config. settings) That way the machine will finish its unit and then wait until you tell it to connect, perhaps at a more appropriate time, like at the end of the day when no one at your work is using the network anymore.

dgouldin

Post by dgouldin » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:16 am

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'll start folding with my work machine on Monday.