My EXTERNAL Enermax PSU modding

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

josephclemente

My EXTERNAL Enermax PSU modding

Post by josephclemente » Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:40 pm

I have mounted my Enermax EG465P-VE(FCA) PSU outside the case. Part of the reason was to make room for the window in this small LIAN LI PC-50 case.

Now the PSU acts as my blowhole (originally the case included an 80mm blowhole in that location.)

As a plus, air from the PSU will no longer recirculate back into the case through the large vent you can see in the picture. CPU cooling is improved by the fact that I now have room for my Thermalright AX-7 with 80mm fan.

Since the picture, I have added an 80mm intake (Antec 3 LED at 7 volts) just below the window, which helps cool both the video card and hard drive. The hard drive is moved back further than stock and the front intake is disabled/closed off.

My total fan count for the entire system is four fans, but I wonder if the PSU can get away with just the 92mm, so it will still double as the case blowhole.

Or maybe remove the 92mm fan and close off the huge vent area for less direct noise? All case vents are closed off - maybe if I replace the 80mm PSU fan with another Antec at 7 volts for the same intake and outake?

I suppose trying all the combinations would be the best way to go but that would be cheating. :) I suppose I'll look for me thermistor just in case...

Justin_R

Go for just the 92mm

Post by Justin_R » Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:16 pm

I've been running a similar case with an internally mounted 365W Enermax with just the 92mm for a few months (I'm also using an AX-7). Since you aren't running a lot of components off it, I don't think you're in danger of overheating it if you remove the 80mm fan. I say pull the 80, put your hand by the vents on the PSU, and feel if the air coming off it is too warm. I can't imagine it would be. That way, you get the advantages of a 92mm blowhole, and the advantage of a 92mm internally-mounted fan for the Enermax. And you can always replace that 92mm with a different one if that setup doesn't suit your silence needs.

By the way, how did you cover the hole where the PSU normally sits? And what fan are you using on the AX-7? And what kind of CPU are you trying to cool?

josephclemente

Re: Go for just the 92mm

Post by josephclemente » Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:40 pm

Justin_R wrote:By the way, how did you cover the hole where the PSU normally sits? And what fan are you using on the AX-7? And what kind of CPU are you trying to cool?
The hole where the PSU used to be is covered with a plate of aluminum, riveted to the case. I covered other vents the same way. It looks very clean and professional. The aluminum was from Home Depot, I used "Aluminum Door Kick Plate." It wasn't to difficult to cut at home - I run a razorblade straight across the metal (using a ruler or whatever). Then I place the aluminum on a table with a 90 degree corner where I cut - just bend slightly back and forth until it comes apart. Then I file the edges, drill the holes, and rivet it onto the case!

If you look closely in the picture I had a DUCT that I made out of aluminum for the CPU. I have since removed the duct and switched to the AX-7 with an Antec triple LED fan cooling the CPU at 7 volts. The CPU is a Celeron 1.3 on an ASUS TUSL2-C motherboard.

Looking into my PSU's vent, it does appear the 92mm fan flows nicely towards the heatsinks...

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:41 pm

I am now running the PSU with the single 92mm fan! I started with the 80mm fan merely disabled to see if anything would explode. I was happy and decided to just remove it completely.

I can feel warm air exiting the front and rear, no warmer than before (or at least nothing I could notice.)

Still haven't checked it all out with a thermistor yet...