Quick Tek-Chain fan comparison

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frankgehry

Quick Tek-Chain fan comparison

Post by frankgehry » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:46 am

FAN COMPARISON I:

I recently puchased a Tek-Chain TC-12CAS-BL fan that has just become available in Europe and in the US. As the photo shows it is an LED fan with clear blades and a dark translucent blue frame with the model no. PS122512M on the hub. It is supplied with a variable speed control knob that attaches to the frame reminiscent of Enermax models. It has a top speed of appox. 1600 rpm that I measured with my Thermaltake fan controller. I measured the top speeds for all the fans below using my controller and the numbers seem to coincide with published values so I am reasonalbly sure they are accurate. Noise levels as you know are far more difficult to measure so I will give my quick impressions. My technique was to hold the fans at 12" and again at 6" from my ear to listen for overall noise as well as specific qualities. I made notes for each fan at 650 rpm, 1000 rpm, and top speed where appropriate.

NOTE: I am limited to only one sample and in some cases, different samples of the same model can vary greatly.

Tek-Chain TC-12CAS-BL
Top speed: 1595 - 1630 rpm

I felt a very slight vibration at 650 rpm that disappeared at 1000 rpm. (The only fan that was noticeably better was the Tekgems Yate Loon D12SL-12. It seemed perfectly balanced.) At 12" away I could hear only air flow. At 6" and low speed I could hear a slight motor noise that went away completely at 1000 rpm. At this speed I could hear only air and overall delivery was very smooth with no bearing noise. It had the greatest rpm range of all the fans with the exception of the Antec.

Tekgems Yate Loon D12SL-12
Top speed: 1100 rpm

As I mentioned, the Tekgems fan was perfectly balanced, but had some bearing noise at all speeds that became somewhat more pronounced as I tilted the fan. It was still very quiet.

Antec SLK3000B Tri-Cool Stock Case Fan

The Antec has a 3 position switch to control speed. Consequently, I was unable to determine speed using my controller. It was very quiet a low speed which seem to be about 800 rpm. I estimate its top speed to be approx. 2400 rpm, the fastest fan tested. At this speed it was hard to compare to the others.

Nexus 120
Top speed: 1000 rpm

The Nexus was the quietest by a small margin with virtually no motor noise at low speed and just a small amount of vibration.

YS-Tech FD121225LB
Top speed: 1000 rpm

The YS-Tech was a surprise. It is a ball bearing quiet fan with a top speed of 1000 rpm. I did seem to lack the smoothness of the Tek-Chain or Nexus, but nevertheless was extremely quiet.

Globe S1202512L-3M
Top speed: 1415 rpm

The Globe was a disappointment as I had always heard it was an excellent fan. My sample had more bearing noise than the others and was annoying at times. The Tek-Chain is a much better fan than the Globe and several computer case builders have selected it as their quiet fan upgrade.

NOTE: I plan to test another sample of the globe as my results may have been specific to one sample and the globe by all accounts is an excellent fan.

Coolermaster A12025-12CB-5BN-L1
Top speed: 1200 rpm

I am always looking for a quiet and inexpensive fan readily available in the US. The Coolermaster is such a fan with a top speed of 1200 rpm and sleeve bearings. Its air delivery was smooth with no bearing noise. It comes in all sizes and UV as well as LED versions.

If I had to write another fan review I would list positive and negative attributes and subract or add points. Bearing noise is one of the worst qualities and smooth even air flow is one of the best. I think most readers would put Nexus at the top with the Tek-Chain close behind. The others were really good, but the Globe was a disappointment. Maybe I had a bad sample. - FG

FAN TEST II
Last edited by frankgehry on Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:55 am, edited 7 times in total.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:39 am

Nice job....but it does show that you just cannot rely on a small sample population for any consistant result.

For example...that Globe fan that you found noisy is second only to the Yate Loon in my experience. Recently I bought five of that model at once, and found some differences in the batch. One was much quieter than the others....but they were all pretty good.

So when I read test results on a particular fan, I can only add it to a bunch of individual samples. Maybe you tested a bad Globe. :cry:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:01 am

Bluefront wrote:Nice job....but it does show that you just cannot rely on a small sample population for any consistant result.

For example...that Globe fan that you found noisy is second only to the Yate Loon in my experience. Recently I bought five of that model at once, and found some differences in the batch. One was much quieter than the others....but they were all pretty good.

So when I read test results on a particular fan, I can only add it to a bunch of individual samples. Maybe you tested a bad Globe. :cry:
I agree 100% with Blufront's assessment. Other than the Nexus "Real Quiet" series of fans, every fan I've ever tested has had sample-to-sample variations that are usually quite noticeable.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:41 am

Even if you include some margin for sample differences, then we now know at least these fans are viable candidates if you want something that is not orange.

I just ordered one. So when when I compare it to a Nexus next week, then we can increase the sample size by one. This should increase the accuracy of the "test" a little.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:49 am

Thanks for the review frank.

Could you comment a bit on the Coolermaster in relation to the Yate Loons? That's the only quietish one sold here in Turkey and I'm tired of importing fans :)

frankgehry

Remarks

Post by frankgehry » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:11 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I was just thinking about the globe because I know it has always been rated highly and a lot of people have them. I do have some other samples so I will test some more of them. I will also have to put in a note about relying on one sample.

I have another set of fans including some papst models and I plan to use a point system based on a number of different parameters.

Burcakb - I should also test another sample of the tekgems yate loon and I have a chieftek/yate loon D12SM-12 too. And I will test them against the coolermaster in a couple of days.

Please feel free to post any suggestions, harsh or otherwise, as they will be appreciated. - FG

As Tibors said more comments and user tests will serve to make a better review/group review.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:09 pm

I suppose everyone should always post some sort of disclaimer when making subjective analysis of products....particularly so when it involves fan noise comparison on an SPCR forum. What you hear is certainly different from what I hear. It should go without being said.....but I know many people take whatever they see on web-pages as the God's truth. Heh....

Ok .....one request from me. Adjust your camera settings, or Photoshop your images. They display way too yellow on my monitor. :lol:

frankgehry

photos

Post by frankgehry » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:18 pm

B,

I guess I should also put - actual fans may appear less yellow than as photographed. But seriously, the photography is one of the most fun parts of doing this so I will work on it. - FG

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:44 pm

Nice work FG.