Cool 'n Quiet Mobo List in error, sadly :(

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Cool 'n Quiet Mobo List in error, sadly :(

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:58 pm

I have a KV8 Pro with a 130 nm 3000+ a64 chip on it.

It is the basis for all amd goodness in the universe, can clock it up, accepts all things, was a cheap solution when 939 was still comming out under crappy MSI bios's.

Now its a bit dated for 939'rs of course. However, I believed in it like a dog believes that his owner will let him out to tinkle and instead walks on by to get a beer and sit back down.

I was mislead by it like the older sister who says it's ok to eat house paint to the younger sibling.

It does not work with 2 512meg ram chps in Cool n QUiet mode. Crapped out 5 times in a week not doing a blessed thing, crapped out daily for Microcenter techs who never could figure out what was going on wiht my system, I ditched the corsair xms whatever fancy ram sticks out for Centon memory, (actually decent ram, cheapish too), in the 1 gigabyte flavour. Works without a bluescreen since that day. (one slot, not into two)

I read here that THAT board was "tested" as ok with 2 sticks o' ram and cool and quiet on. Well, it isnt at all. I called abit yesterday, spoke to man with accent for a long time, said it can only keep up with 2 sticks if cool n quiet are turned off.

Sux.
Gigabyte? what will work with it? now im going for 2 gigs, 1 gig a piece in each slot, I hate asus, so gigabyte?

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:34 pm

No, it depends on your board revision. The initial boards (1.0) are problematic in a number of ways. 1.1 revision works fine in CnQ with two RAM sticks. It IS choosy about RAM type but that's a problem of the initial AMD processors, not the board

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:19 am

I'm a bit lost... who manufactures the problem board?

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:00 pm

Noone :)

Actually the initial KV8Pro s were just copies of the KV8-MAX boards with the VIA non-pro chipset. The BIOS had no AGP lock, CnQ support was suspect, etc.

With version 1.1 of the board, everything is peachy. There's still some problem with AGP lock with certain graphics cards (but only some and seemingly a bit random) but the board is getting better and better with BIOS updates. There's a very recent BIOS released that pretty much solves all problems.

OTOH, there's as we all know, a technical problem with smoothrunning CnQ on s754 architecture - mainly due to last minute changes by AMD. The KV8 Pro board has only two RAM slots and will usually support CnQ without problems. There MAY be problems with CnQ (and this is clearly stated in the manual) if you use two double-sided RAM sticks - this is the problem from AMD.

The KV8 Pro isn't a great board. Buying today, I'd probably go with a higher-end board. But for the price it's a great value.

For the record. El Jefe. I wrote a PM to you on this subject BEFORE you posted this. I have in my sig a fully working setup based on this board and in that thread you can see that I use 2x512 RAM and DID successfully run CnQ. What's more you could've just looked into the manual to see on which conditions CnQ will run. After all this, this post goes into unnecessary product bashing :evil:

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:38 pm

well, any product that claims cool n quiet and yet cant do it, deserves a bash, and most importantly, if it is Abit. People all too often, like myself, fall in love with a company, I shouldnt have. The tech from Abit told me that with two sticks it will often not work correctly. Keep in mind that this board once had the capabillity of using 4 banks of ram in its original intent, And some companies some say now 3 for theirs, but 2 is kinda sad. AND THE TWO, WELL, THEY DONT WORK RIGHT!

so we have one, might as well get a mac-mini.

All configurations of a board with 2 dinky freakin ram slots should at least work. Even a 2.8HT intel set up with dual bank memory access, if improperly filled, will negate the 2x bandwidth capabilities, but it wont ever crap out on you.

The leading manufacturers of "enthusiast" memory are ocz (forget the name of this one), Crucial (micron), and Corsair. Now, all of us would probably expect these modules to run perfect on an abit board. none of them will without taking a chance roll! That is not good, and this board loses my recommended seal of approval with much tears. All motherboards should be able to hand 2 gigs at the very least. My p3 tualatin 1.2ghz board can use 1.5 gigs of memory without stepping down speed or crapping out. (and that board is a few years old or more by now)

I have all of the updates for the bios, I am running Time warner's vip corporate edition windows XP (has all bug fixies, sp2 integrated, etc), and all tried and true components. I do not want abit to RMA the board, I am going to just leave it in a box somewhere for emergency. I am planning on getting another gig stick of ram (most here do not go for 2 gig chips), and installing winblows64 this time, and this time a gigabyte board (aka: wallet buster incorporated)

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:34 am

El Jefe - You're NOT READING !!!!

The problem with double sided mem sticks & CnQ is a s754 AMD problem and you'll face it with ANY manufacturer. For the record, my sig has that board running on 2x512 Twinmos Twister cheap ram but I changed it it's now running with 2x512 OCZ ram. So yes, it does run, it does do CnQ, it's just choosy about your RAM and that's because of your CPU, not your board.

Another info. At least ABIT is keeping the option to be able to do CnQ if you get the correct ram. Epox, OTOH, chose to DISABLE CnQ support with later BIOS releases just because they were tired of answering support calls. :evil:

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:03 pm

burcakb wrote:El Jefe - You're NOT READING !!!!

The problem with double sided mem sticks & CnQ is a s754 AMD problem and you'll face it with ANY manufacturer. For the record, my sig has that board running on 2x512 Twinmos Twister cheap ram but I changed it it's now running with 2x512 OCZ ram. So yes, it does run, it does do CnQ, it's just choosy about your RAM and that's because of your CPU, not your board.

Another info. At least ABIT is keeping the option to be able to do CnQ if you get the correct ram. Epox, OTOH, chose to DISABLE CnQ support with later BIOS releases just because they were tired of answering support calls. :evil:
DOH !! :!: :oops:

eek, oh well, Hm, I dont think they make sticks of 1 gig without using both sides. do they?