Will this just burn up..??

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bonzichrille

Will this just burn up..??

Post by bonzichrille » Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:34 am

Im finnaly getting the case I want:
http://www.heimkino.at/images/produktfo ... ospekt.jpg

Now I dont plan on using this as a home theater pc( have to be almost dead silent to work), but would like it to be reasonably quiet. I will be hooking it up to my stereo system using a high quality dac. This is also a pc that I would like to live with for a while so performence is important.

Possible configuration:
P4 2,4GHz 533 bus
seagate barracuda
Ge4mx
zalman psu(new model)
cnps6500 zalman flower+ arm and fan
novibes
rounded ide cables
two 60mm case fans at the back, prob. papst

I know the parts are totally out of porportion with each other. This is partly because I want a fast processor and already have the ge4 at home. Secondly, for some strange reason the 2,4GHz is right now cheaper than the 2GHz version, atleast here in sweden....

This is the inside of the case:
http://www.heimkino.at/produkte/htpc/dign_e.htm

As u can see its a pretty small area, and since I have never built a computer on my own before, I want to ask you a couple of things:

1. am I totally dreaming here, or will this baby burn up instantly?

2. If it doesnt, will I be forced to crank up the speed of the case fans because of the extensive heat? Making it pretty loud as a hole. I mean, is there no use investing money in silent parts like barra., papst casefan, zalman flower and psu when the heat is so hot they are forced to work at high speeds making them very loud....

3. Thinking about putting some kind material inside the case, lowering computer noise. Can I just forget about that, to hot??

davidhooper

Post by davidhooper » Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:46 pm

Ooh, that case is veeeery nice. And very expensive! What colour are you going for?

I don't know as much as some members here but I would say:
1) You're not dreaming and it won't burn up.
2) The CPU fan will prolly need to be at not less than 7V. The case fans might be OK at 5V, or you could get a couple of fanmates...
3) Opinions vary as to effectivness of material. You might want to skip it?

Although I stand to be corrected?...

bonzichrille

Post by bonzichrille » Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:55 pm

Expensive yes, however, adding things togheter ( vfd display=50$, ir reception=dunno really, normal case= 60$) Im paying around 130$ for the design. Sounds ok for me. Also, this aint a case you can get hold of easily( atleast in sweden, in the states there prob aint a probl.), its produced in korea and I´ll be happy if I get it....

Im getting the silver version combined with the blue lcd. It's so cool, there is this little program that lets you control the vfd in whatever program you want(ex winamp). If the txt is too long, it just scrolls...
Then theres the ir reception that lets you control whatever program with a universal controler.

Happy to hear it wont burn up!! Just a question, the cpu fan at 7V??? When you hook it to the motherboard ( the cpu fan), is it then allways getting 12V? Or can you normally change that in the bios(like options 5,7,12)?? Or do you need one of those zalman fanmates to control the current in between??

thx

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:10 pm

That's an absolutely beautiful case.

And I don't think you'll have much trouble cooling it either. It's essentially the same size as a desktop ATX case, and I've seen plenty of those with the same or even less openings for venting.

The zalman Heatsink you mentioned buying will come standard with a fanmate voltage adjuster, so you'll be about to adjust the CPU fan voltage easily that way.

I would definitely remove that front mounted speaker and replace it with an intake fan.

If you're concerned about cooling you should skip adding sound deadening. They are only marginally effective at reducing noise and it'll instead serve as an insulation layer, trapping heat inside.

I would assemble the system with all the fans at 12v, and then run it to see where the temps level out at. Then I'd reduce the fan speeds gradually, until you get to the proper balance of noise versus cooling.