Covering fan intakes on Chieftec big tower?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

MrMajestic

Covering fan intakes on Chieftec big tower?

Post by MrMajestic » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:01 am

Im planning to get some pre-cut magic fleece for my Chieftec Big Tower. It looks like it will cover the front fan intakes. Will this make my case too hot or is it ok? I have 5 drives, but will probably cut it to 4 when I change motherboard.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:17 am

I wouldn't do it. You need to pull in cooling air from somewhere. The front intakes are down low so the air flows over your drives, RAM and PCI cards on it's way out the back of the case. That's how it designed to work. If you plug the front fan holes it will get sucked in from wherever it can, including through all the cracks and crevices in your optical drives. Along with this air comes the inevitable dust, and that's something you don't want getting sucked into your drives.

MrMajestic

Post by MrMajestic » Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:24 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:I wouldn't do it. You need to pull in cooling air from somewhere. The front intakes are down low so the air flows over your drives, RAM and PCI cards on it's way out the back of the case. That's how it designed to work. If you plug the front fan holes it will get sucked in from wherever it can, including through all the cracks and crevices in your optical drives. Along with this air comes the inevitable dust, and that's something you don't want getting sucked into your drives.
Yeah, thats what I thought. Im just worried that if I dont cover them, too much noise will slip out of the fan vents. Not too keen on buying the stuff and not having the full effect.