lotsamods

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

gehan

lotsamods

Post by gehan » Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:36 am

Hi

I'm about to undertake a mod-a-thon with my PC. It's made too much noise for too long now.

I'm thinking of gettin the Seasonic and replacing the fan with a a 80 mm 8412 NGL Pabst fan, and also having another fan blowing air into the psu, and one at the front of the case (all same 8412NGLs). The theory here being that they all blow air into and out of the psu, and having them at 5V to reduce noise since i have a few of them. Finally I'll stick a Zalman flower cooler on the Athlon 1.4ghz.

This all sounds well and nice, but is this a good strategy? Also is the mentioned fan alright to put in the psu? Or is the Panaflo quieter/less clicky. Also I'll have 4 fans (inc psu+cpu) in the system. Is this OK or an overkill? How/where should i mount the fan which will blow air into the psu? Finally any better/quieter cpu coolers than the Zalman (i wont overclock)?

Quite a few questions I know, but best to get it right i think :D [/url]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:30 am

Give us full system details if you're looking for detailed advice / comment.

gehan

specs

Post by gehan » Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:47 pm

ok here's what's in the box:

the case is a Suntek:
http://www.suntekgroup.com/stk7618k.htm

in the case is a MSI 6380 motherboard:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/ ... EL=MS-6380

on that are the following components:
2x256MB DDR PC2100 RAM, 1.4ghz Athlon, 2x40Gb IBM Desktar 60GXP HDs, Pioner IDE DVD, 24x PlexWriter, SonicFury soundcard, net card, gf3

at the moment i don't have any case fans and am not planning on overclocking, i just want a quiet pc. i will probably be upgrading the processor/mobo at some point

any help will be appreciated!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:03 pm

A quieter PSU is a good start but I don't know that I'd immediately add another fan to it. 2 inline push-pull fans do not really give more airflow than one. Once you have something like a Seasonic (even an unmodified one) and a good quiet CPU HSF, the 2 IBM drives will probably be the biggest noise makers. I'd deal with them before modding a new PSU. Lots of articles & mods in SPCR that cover HDD silencing.