Kensington SlimType keyboard - Quiet keyboard

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

daba
Friend of SPCR

Kensington SlimType keyboard - Quiet keyboard

Post by daba » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:04 pm

I'm willing to try this keyboard to replace my noisy Logitech Media Keyboard. I typed with it in the student store today and it is pretty quiet!

Here it is:

Also comes in a Mac version:

It's not your standard keyboard layout, but for those of us with small desks, this may be the quiet keyboard we have all been looking for. I only have it to compare to what is left in my head of the diNovo and several other keyboards I have used, but hopefully we will have a winner on our hands.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:56 pm

I'll do a mini review later, but this keyboard isn't as quiet as the diNovo I had earlier. I'd rank it a little quieter than the eluminX I had. The keys are rather shaky, and make noise if you try to push them left and right. Although, it is quieter than this Logitech Media keyboard, and roughly on par with this IBM X40 laptop keyboard I'm using now.

The best thing it has going for it is its aesthetics and its small size. It fits extremely nicely on the small keyboard tray I am using it on. Once again I have enough room for a mouse.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:45 pm

For all of you Logitech UltraX/PSK5000 fanatics:

I picked up a PSK5000 from Ralf the other day and honestly I wasn't impressed. Compared to this keyboard, I'd fancy to say that this one is even quieter, if only marginally. In fact, I didn't find the PSK5000/UltraX to be any different from most laptop-style keyboards I've tried.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:27 pm

I don't like nonstandard layout, the insert block is there for a reason - it's very convenient to use. My sony laptop has layout similar to the kensington leyboard and it's a pain in the butt to use. I can live with it on my laptop, but not on my desktop, I would rather use a noisy ultrax than this kensington keyboard.

vdorta

Post by vdorta » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:44 am

I am a keyboard nut and have tested practically all the keyboards out there. Almost all of them are mushy, even the MS Bluetooth, but I found one exception, the new Compaq keyboard. Positive and silent unless you are a hard typist, but then it becomes even more positive and solid to the touch in a way that reminds one of the old IBMs and Northgates, noise and all. Its companion mouse is just OK.

illgibson

Post by illgibson » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:27 pm

vdorta wrote:I am a keyboard nut and have tested practically all the keyboards out there. Almost all of them are mushy, even the MS Bluetooth, but I found one exception, the new Compaq keyboard. Positive and silent unless you are a hard typist, but then it becomes even more positive and solid to the touch in a way that reminds one of the old IBMs and Northgates, noise and all. Its companion mouse is just OK.
Not sure if this is the one you are talking about:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... &pfp=srch1

I picked one up at CompUSA for $20, and it is definitely a lot quieter than the one I had. It is possible to type very quietly if you apply very little pressure. Even typing hard, it is more quiet than the one I had, though. I don't know how it compares against the PSK-5000, because I wasn't willing to buy one mail order for $40 to find out. :wink:

Best thing is that it is a completely standard layout - identical to the Dell wrongly named "QuietKey" that I use at work.

Only found a PS/2 version though.

Now if I could only find a way to silence the buttons on my MX510... :D

vdorta

Post by vdorta » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:26 pm

No, that's not the one I'm talking about. CompUSA also sells it, but it has a unique front-to back convex shape, it's wireless and comes bundled with a mouse.

illgibson

Post by illgibson » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:09 pm

I think I tried that one in the store, but didn't find it to be as quiet as the one I ended up getting.