Here is how I got silent PC........(new member)

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

petreza

Here is how I got silent PC........(new member)

Post by petreza » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:44 am

Hi,

On the bottom of the main page it says "The newest registered user is petreza". And since this is my first post I would like to welcome myself to the forum ( ogh...well... :D )

Anyway... here's what I did:

I found a big air-conditioner in the garbage. I took the case (chassis) of the AC and threw out the rest. Then I mounted the empty AC case outside my window. Then I moved the power supply, water pump, radiator, and, of course, radiator fans into the AC case.
I order to prevent rain water from mixing with the power supply and radiator fans, three layers of insulation were made (counting the AC case as 1 layer ; the other two - a plastic box and a plexiglass selfmade box inside the plasic box). Also, the power supply and water pump are in separate compartments in order to prevent a mess if the pump leeks.

With this setup I am watercooling the CPU and GPU. as for the hard drive - I use Barracuda IV - almost silent (well... I lied :oops: ). At first the drive was making strange noises imediatly after completing a read operation but after I emailed them, Seagate support sent me a small utility that you run once and it fixes the problem. In the future I plan to watercool the HD and so I can completely insulate any noise.

In fact a bigger problem than the HD noise is the CRT buzz. LCD here I come...

Any comments and ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.......(and worm welcomes :D)

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:15 am

Hello and Welcome! :P

Good work on your setup! Sounds excellent! Dont suppose you have a digital camera do you? would love to see some pics :P

I hear you on the CRT buzz! I moved my whole computer into a cupboard, now i can only hear the monitor buzzing :evil:

Regarding your 'cuda IV, have a look in Mods and Projects link on the front page :wink:

Not sure what you meant about worm welcomes?!? :roll: But heres a warm welcome! 8) :lol:

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:21 am

PS: Forgot to ask about the specs of your computer, and your WC setup :?:

petreza

Post by petreza » Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:06 am

it's:

Pentium III 800EB
ASUS CUSL2 mobo
ATI All-in-Wonder RADEON 32MB
512 MB PC133

Dangerden Maze3 (I think) CPU water block
Dangerden VGA GPU water block
(these two plus 2 "T"s are the only things inside the case)

"The Heater Core" Dangerden radiator
Selfmade duct with 2 80mm fans for the radiator
Selfmade reservoir
1/2" tubing (about 20' ! used)

Unfortunately I do not have a digitel camera. Hopefully soon.

Thanks for the interest!