Cool n' Quiet for A7N8X Deluxe 2.0

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rheostat

Cool n' Quiet for A7N8X Deluxe 2.0

Post by rheostat » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:37 pm

Hello. Long time lurker, small time poster. I have an Athlon-XP 2800+ Barton modded to a mobile on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0. I've looked high and low on the net for a way to enable Cool n' Quiet or any other kind of dynamic underclocking, but I've found nothing for my board. My problem seems to be that I cannot change p-states on the fly. I tried using wpcredit to enable p-states as shown in an article by Toms Hardware (http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041 ... ng-08.html), but it will not let me set the registers. I've tried RMClock, 8rdavcore, crystalcpuid, cpumsr and maybe a few others that I can't think of at the moment. Whenever I try to change the voltage the system freezes. I'm using Trats' bios found at http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php? ... stcount=62. I've tried Demoulous' uber bios, but that didn't fix anything. Has anyone enabled Cool n' Quiet on this board? Any ideas on how to make this work?

Shuriken

Post by Shuriken » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:48 am

Changing p-states on Nforce2 basically does not work. It is said to work on some Nforce2 boards. But nobody seems to know which ones ;)
But the Asus wont work, as is described in THG article.

The only thing you can try is a program like Speedfan which can control your FSB. You can change the FSB to 66 Mhz on low CPU usage and 166 Mhz on high.

rheostat

Post by rheostat » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:29 am

The motherboard mentioned in that article is not my motherboard. It is, however, very similar, and made by the same company. I suppose I am clinging to a lost hope, wishing that my chipset could do what so many others can.

Shuriken

Post by Shuriken » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:35 am

I had the A7N8X non deluxe. Also didnt work.

I know have an Asrock K770-Upgrade 880 (with VIA KT880). Works like a charm.