On-board RAID- how to monitor hard drive temperature?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sjm

On-board RAID- how to monitor hard drive temperature?

Post by sjm » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:49 am

I'd like to know how hot my hard drives are running.

I've got a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 motherboard. On the board, I've got a Sil3114 SATA RAID controller, on which I've got two hard drives configured simply as hard drives (JBOD).

I have tried half a dozen programs (Windows XP) that are supposed to monitor hard drive temperatures. None of them even see my two hard drives.

My video heatsink is cool to the touch, and reports a core temperature of 60 C, my CPU heatsink is also cool to the touch and reports a rediculously low 24 C, but my hard drives feel downright warm. I'd like to have a better idea of what's really going on with them.

It's also possible that my drives (new Samsung drives) don't have temperature monitoring, but I'd expect at least one of the programs to say "I see the drive, but it doesn't report temperature."

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:12 am

Which programs did you try? Also, check your bios to see if you have to enable SMART monitoring for your drives (my Asus requires this).

sjm

Post by sjm » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:43 am

I tried HD-Thermometer, HDDtemp, HDDtemp pro, checktemp, and some others.

My motherboard doesn't require enabling SMART. I checked the BIOS and there's no place to turn it on. Also, it mentions that the DVD drive on the IDE connector doesn't support SMART.

I'm just hoping that someone will say "I have the same setup. Here's what I use."

sjm

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:16 am

Speedfan gives temperatures of my newer Seagate 7200.7 and older Maxtor drives. It also gives a third "Temp1" which is constant at 20C. Unfortunately, Abit's uGuru monitoring S/W doesn't let Smartfan see other temps, fan speeds and voltages.

sjm

Post by sjm » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:03 am

Speedfan doesn't find the SATA drives, either.

It doesn't seem to adjust the fan speeds on my board, but that's another matter.