[Renamed] AMD Athlon 64E thread

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:16 pm

Just checked Monarch again today and they appear to have fixed some errors that were originally posted...they did have the 3700+ at a 1600 HTT speed but 2.4GHz clock...it now appears to be correct with a 2000HTT and 2.2 clock. Looks like they were still using the Newcastle ratings...

...at any rate, waiting to see what the Venice/San Diegos can do. the 3700+ looks pretty appetizing, with a 11x multiplier and 1MB cache for under $400....that's the best deal AMD has had in a while.... *drools*

anthonysimilion

Post by anthonysimilion » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:52 pm

So for quiet computing, is the Venice a positive, because of the lower default voltage core?

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:52 am

anthonysimilion wrote:So for quiet computing, is the Venice a positive, because of the lower default voltage core?
Personally, I'd wait to see what the initial reviews say. I've seen some speculation that these Venice chips might undervolt better than Winchester which would be very useful for quiet computing.

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:00 am

Mariner wrote:
anthonysimilion wrote:So for quiet computing, is the Venice a positive, because of the lower default voltage core?
Personally, I'd wait to see what the initial reviews say. I've seen some speculation that these Venice chips might undervolt better than Winchester which would be very useful for quiet computing.
I've heard various people say that Venice will do everything better than a Winnie....so like you, I plan on waiting until a few people in the forums get a hold of 'em to see what happens. I think if you're happy with your Winchester, though, there's no reason to upgrade to a Venice/San Diego, as there won't be much of a difference. If you're still on socket A or 754, however, they're definitely worth waiting (*checks calendar*) 4 days for the new cores to ship.

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:48 pm

Just checked Monarch again today to get prices for someone who asked and noticed that all the OEM chips originally scheduled for April 22nd have been moved back a week to the 29th :cry: :cry: :cry: The other, later OEMs and all the retail versions are still scheduled the same, but I sure hope this doesn't bleed over. I want my San Diego 3700+!!!

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:47 pm

UPDATE:

The first Venice chips are now shipping!! Not all of them, but a few are showing "in stock" at Monarch! :D