Excessive noisy on startup on cold system

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fieldy

Excessive noisy on startup on cold system

Post by Fieldy » Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:24 am

:cry: I wonder if anyone can help?

I have an AMD1700XP with cooler master fan. Plextor CDRW, 16 Speed DVD drive, Gforce2 MX400 (with fan) & 2 HDD. When starting the system from cold there is excessive noise, like vibration for 30 seconds or so then it stops!!!! At firsrt I thought it was the power supply so took the plunge and brought new 400 Watt ATX supply. Still the same. I have disconnected both CD drives, secondary HDD and CPU cooler fan (briefly) but still the noise persists when cold. My friend seems to think that my ATX case may be slightly distorted and this may be the problem. I am pleased that the CPU fan is OK, can be worrying & also CPU running OK at about 45C, will shut down at 60C anyway. If anybody has any suggestions or come across a problem such as this before I would love to here from you!

[email protected]

quokked

Post by quokked » Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:12 am

Let's see I couldn't tell u from here, it's hard to say from here without hearing the noise,
have u tried un plugging the Primary HDD as well on boot up,
it could be that spinning up causing excessive noise, ummmm
u could stopping the Geforce Fan as well only for a lil while though and see if it's that ummmm I'd take a stab and say it's your primary HDD spinning up
or a fan vibrating, try stopping all your fans one by one and see that, have u got any case ventilation fans I've found that case ventilation fans vibrate like crazy as well. ummm I'd be guessing it'd be one of your fans good luck

jsw
-- Vendor --

Post by jsw » Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:57 pm

I would guess that it is either the DVD or CDRW. You might try starting up with no CD or DVD in those drives.

D@7@K|N&

Post by D@7@K|N& » Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:47 am

This may sound kind of off, but how old is your floppy? Some older floppies make a lot of noise when they are accessed, especially if they don't have a disk in them. (Obviously I'm assuming you have a floppy, I guess if you don't it would be a moot post). Anyway, try booting with a floppy in the drive, or removing the floppy altogether. Again, if you don't have one, it's obviously not the problem.