Detailed (Non-Pro) Power Supply Mod Process

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Detailed Power Supply Mod Process

Post by aphonos » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:16 pm

Radeonman wrote:14. Watch cat come by while testing fans and bump power supply with tail, shorting a connection.
MEEOOOOOOWWWWWW! :shock: Did the cat give any reaction to the short?
Radeonman wrote:19. Double check connections while suddenly smelling electronic burning.
:cry:
Radeonman wrote:Remember credit card bill already high enough this month.
So in addition to all the dangers that have been discussed in the forums regarding the risk of electrical shock while modding a power supply, I suppose we should add a disclaimer about the damage that modding a PSU can do to your wallet.

Very sorry to hear about your loss, but glad you're happy with the Sparkle PSU. Thanks for the happy ending to the story. :)

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:43 am

Radeonman wrote: 14. Watch cat come by while testing fans and bump power supply with tail, shorting a connection.
Reading that made me want to wake up my siamese and berate him a bit :shock:

Seriously, beleive it or not that is one critical detail which I am so glad you included, and you did so in a such a casual manner that made it comical (don't misunderstand -- I hate that this happened to you).

But the reason I say this is critical is because my cat always comes snooping about whenever I have my case open on the floor. He is a classic "curious" cat. It never occurred to me that he might be carrying an electrostatic charge. From now on, I will make sure I am quarantined whenever I need to pop the case.

Thank you for you story and best of luck with your new power supply.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:24 pm

Radeonman wrote: And cats are great with electrostatic charge, you ever rubbed your feet on the carpet and shocked the cat? They love that.
LoL! Yeah, they love that :lol:
Truth be told, I've done it many times accidentally.
(don't ask why I said earlier that it never occurred to me that they would be carrying a charge)