Venice CPU & Asus NForce4 problem

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Michael Sandstrom

Venice CPU & Asus NForce4 problem

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:08 am

I have been planing to order a Venice core CPU and an Asus A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard as soon as a boxed cpu is offered, however I am aware of a potential problem. Because of compatibility problems, the only A8N SLI BIOS that will work is 1007 released 4-21-05. It seems unlikedy that when the boxed Venice CPU becomes available in May that the MB's in stock will have the 4-21 BIOS installed. Since I do not have an older 939 CPU there is no way to flash the BIOS. Thus a chicken and the egg problem.

I have seen a posting that if a MB and CPU are purchased together from Monarch Computer, Monarch will flash the MB BIOS before shipment. I usually purchase parts from Newegg or Zipzoomfly and I wonder how they intend to handle this problem.
Last edited by Michael Sandstrom on Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Venice CPU & NForce4 problem

Post by Green Shoes » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:58 am

Michael Sandstrom wrote:I have seen a posting that if a MB and CPU are purchased together from Monarch Computer, Monarch will flash the MB BIOS before shipment. I usually purchase parts from Newegg or Zipzoomfly and I wonder how they intend to handle this problem.
Monarch will also burn in your CPU/RAM (at stock volts) if you order one of their combos...and if you're into that kind of thing, they'll also give you a free copy of FarCry and Half-Life 2, as well as a 4-month subscription to Napster :mrgreen: . I myself pre-ordered a San Diego/DFI combo from them (supposedly shipping May 10th or so)....but I'm not sure how the other two vendors plan on dealing with this.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:07 am

When the Winchester appeared, there was the same chicken&egg problem. The solution was to POST with just one DIMM (single-channel), then do the BIOS update, then install all other DIMMs. I don't remember in which slot the DIMM had to be installed (maybe it's mobo dependent?). This trick should work with the new Venice core too, IMHO.
When I got my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, it came with 1002 BIOS, and the official was 1003.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:37 am

Tzupy,

The problem with a Venice CPU and a A8N SLI Deluxe is that reportedly with a BIOS earlier than 1007 the computer will not even post.
Last edited by Michael Sandstrom on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilh

Post by ilh » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:42 am

Perhaps you should have titled this "Venice & Asus problem." The DFI nF4 boards supposedly work fine with Venice with the originally shipping 1/25 BIOS according to DFI.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:56 am

Thanks, I did not know the DFI board would work with the original BIOS. I might order the DFI. I edited my subject.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Wed May 04, 2005 12:44 pm

On Anandtech forums a fellow said he managed to get his Asus A8N to POST with Venice and an older BIOS. It's not clear which one...
Update: it was 1003 BIOS on A8N-SLI Deluxe.
DFI owners shouldn't bash Asus before verifying an information themselves...