Quiet case with wire exhaust grill?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

blueberrycake

Quiet case with wire exhaust grill?

Post by blueberrycake » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:43 pm

Seems like the first thing everyone does when they get a new case is cut the exhaust grill and either leave it open or cover it with a mounted wire grill.

Are there any good, quiet cases that come with this configuration out of the box and dont require you to cut the case? A case like that with a 120mm exhaust fan would be ideal.

-bbc

wemagor

Post by wemagor » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:08 pm

I just ordered a D8000 from Coolcases.com http://www.coolcases.com/cases/D8000_s-m_p2.html. It is a modified CompuCase LX-6A19 (same as Antec SLK3700) with the fan grills punched out.

I suspect the reason no case manufacturer does this is because it is illegal. It probably causes the case to fail the FCC's EMI tests. Actually, it may be illegal for Coolcases to even do this mod, but I'm not complaining. It would be nice to know how to fix the EMI problems without causing noise from the interference with the fans. Anyone know how to do this?

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:20 pm

It isn't illegal per se, well except that it isn't supposed to be used in non-commercial situations. Acrylic cases are not providing any sheilding at all but are sold, but again they would get into trouble if anyone complained about interference.

NeilBlanchard

The Antec Sonata

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:41 am

Hello:

To answer the original question: one of the few cases with a 120mm fan that doesn't need it's grill removed to get good airflow is the Antec Sonata. There may be a couple of others -- maybe that Chenbro 611?

If you can live with an 80mm exhaust, then the Evercase 4252 is quiet and gets good airflow with no mods -- and you cannot beat the low price! The Chenbro is also an outstanding value -- if the grills are low noise/high airflow.