Switching out motherboards

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shadowknight

Switching out motherboards

Post by Shadowknight » Thu May 12, 2005 5:45 pm

I recently purchased a shuttle motherboard to replace my Asus board. Sincece the installation, I've had numerous crashes with different programs.

Do I need to reinstall Windows, much like when going from Intel to AMD (or vice versa)? Or is it a bad motherboard?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Thu May 12, 2005 5:57 pm

It may have the wrong drivers in place that are specific to components on the motherboard. Others have posted procedures to remove the old drivers and let Windows find the new drivers. If you search the forum, you may be able to find the previous discussion on this.

BenW

Post by BenW » Thu May 12, 2005 10:28 pm

Easiest thing to do would be to format the hard drive

alglove

Post by alglove » Fri May 13, 2005 10:32 am

BenW wrote:Easiest thing to do would be to format the hard drive
Actually, it would be easier to do a "repair" installation of Windows XP.

Just boot straight to the WinXP CD, as if you are going to reinstall Windows. After the CD boots, you will be asked if you want to repair using the Recovery Console. This is *not* what you want, so proceed as if you are going to reinstall. You will then be given the option to "repair" Windows again, only this time, you are basically reinstalling Windows on top of itself. Hit "R" for repair, and the setup program will delete all your Windows system files and replace them with what is on the CD.

In my opinion, this is easier because it will leave the vast majority of your programs and data intact. You will still have to go back and install certain drivers, patches, Windows Update, etc., however.

By the way, something else I should ask is how similar or different the two motherboards are. If they use the same chipset, for example, then the problem is more likely to be the motherboard itself, or possibly some BIOS settings. It they are vastly different, though (like replacing a VIA chipset with NForce), then the problems are more likely to be software/driver related.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Fri May 13, 2005 11:54 am

You can try to reinstall the os. Rma the board, or buy a new one. If you buy a motherboard, with identical chipsets, you can use without reinstallation the os.
Thanks

Steve Rosenthal
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Steve Rosenthal » Fri May 13, 2005 12:02 pm

Alglove is on the money. Try the repair first. It worked for me when I swapped between a Soyo and ASUS board.

--Steve

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri May 13, 2005 12:31 pm

Two things:

1. I don't have a copy of Windows XP, and
2. I managed to figure out what the problem is.

I had forgotten that the particular type of Corsair memory I have needs more than 2.5v, I upped it to 2.75, and now everythings working well.

Thanks, all.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Fri May 13, 2005 12:34 pm

Shadowknight wrote:Two things:

1. I don't have a copy of Windows XP, and
2. I managed to figure out what the problem is.

I had forgotten that the particular type of Corsair memory I have needs more than 2.5v, I upped it to 2.75, and now everythings working well.

Thanks, all.
Good job. it sucks how something we would never actually think of, cause such big problems.
Thanks