Post by rei » Mon May 23, 2005 7:04 pm

passive northbridge chipset cooling!

PS
Friend of SPCR

Post by PS » Mon May 23, 2005 7:09 pm

ummmm... Yay?

rei

Post by rei » Mon May 23, 2005 7:13 pm

considering there is a "nForce4 Chipset Fan Replacement" thread I would imagine that it may matter to some SPCR-ers.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon May 23, 2005 9:02 pm

rei wrote:considering there is a "nForce4 Chipset Fan Replacement" thread I would imagine that it may matter to some SPCR-ers.
At one that was a big deal to me. But when I replaced the active HSF on my Asus A8N-E, I realized how much better the Zalman passive HS was than any of the OEM passive HS’s. So you are better off replacing it, even if the OEM is a passive HS.

Pooh-Bah

Post by Pooh-Bah » Tue May 24, 2005 6:52 am

It looks like it has nearly identical specs to the Foxconn NF4K8MC-ERS, right down to the lack of S/PDIF rear panel audio output. That's too bad. I think that's my biggest problem with the Foxconn.

I'm not to sure that passive cooling on an NF4 chipset is a good idea. With the Zalman gold heatsink installed without a fan, my NF4 chipset gets to over 61.5C within minutes. With an extremely small and quiet fan it stays below 45C or so. When this board hits the streets I will be very curious to hear how hot the chipset runs.

So what is a 4x chipset anyway?

elec999

Post by elec999 » Tue May 24, 2005 7:19 am

This motherboard looks very promising. It just lacks gigabit network. Anyone seen it anywhere.
Thanks

Chang

Post by Chang » Tue May 24, 2005 11:45 am

Pooh-Bah wrote:It looks like it has nearly identical specs to the Foxconn NF4K8MC-ERS, right down to the lack of S/PDIF rear panel audio output. That's too bad. I think that's my biggest problem with the Foxconn.
Item 7 on Internal I/O Conectors says it has a "S/PDIF input/ output connector". My largest gripe is that it doesn't have gigabit lan, but that's a minor quibble since I wouldn't be using it anyways. The nice thing that pops up for me is that the socket is closer to the center of the board. That may make my HT-101 compatible with X-Qpack. It's also nicer than the Foxconn in that it has the PCIe-16 slot in the "right" place (top most) and slots for 4 DIMMs.

As for the "4x", from a GamePC review of its big brother:
After scouring through Gigabyte's manuals and using the board for over a week now, the only difference we can find between a standard nForce4 and the nForce4-4x is the intended HyperTransport link speed. There were rumors floating around when the nForce4 was first being developed in that it could not run at full (5x / 1000 MHz) HyperTransport link speeds, but instead could only run at 4x / 800 MHz speeds. Our estimations were all but confirmed in the manual, where as the peak HyperTransport link speed is listed at 800 MHz, with no mention of 1000 MHz speeds.

What is likely the scenario here is that the nForce4-4x is an early batch of nForce4 chips which did not complete qualification testing at full 5x HyperTransport frequencies, thus, the nForce4-4x is likely a "binned-down" nForce4 chipset. While the rest of the chipset appears to be fully functional, this aspect may mean that Gigabyte cannot sell the chip as a "full" nForce4 chipset, which is why they may have added the 4x moniker. As you can see, nVidia has actually gone ahead and labeled the chip itself as a nForce4-4x, this is not a Gigabyte-created term.

rei

Post by rei » Tue May 24, 2005 2:59 pm

(if anything, it's not the ugly brown plain pcb color of the foxconn and gigabyte support is at least existent compared to foxconn/winfast)

anyone in good with or have contacts at gigabyte they can mine for availability of these very promising boards in north america?

Pooh-Bah

Post by Pooh-Bah » Tue May 24, 2005 6:14 pm

Chang - the "S/PDIF input/ output connector" on this board is an internal connector, not an external (optical or coax) connector for hooking up to your home theater receiver. Only the ATI based MSI board has this in the micro-atx size.

Chang

Post by Chang » Wed May 25, 2005 5:06 am

Yes, and S/PDIF coax brackets are readily available. Hunt around and you can even find coax+optical out brackets. I am using one now right now and probably have a spare from an older mobo laying around. The one I'm using with my MSI board came in an Biostar rig. It'll cost you a PCI slot but with a bit of modding, you could probably put in it place of your PS/2 on your rear I/O panel.

winguy

Post by winguy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:21 am

Caudipteryx zoui

Post by Caudipteryx zoui » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:16 pm

Nice find. Assuming it will be released this summer, it's in the running for my mATX board S939 board of choice, along with the Foxconn NF4K8MC-ERS and perhaps the Asus A8NE-FM OEM board that as also been mentioned recently in this forum (more information is required).

I like the placement of the PCI-Ex16 slot over that of the Foxconn, as it is less likely to interfer with a passive NB solution (after-market and unmodified). I dont like the fact that, if that GamePC blurb is to believed, nForce-4x HyperTransport only peaks at 800 MHz to the Foxconn's 1000 MHz.