Tom's Hardware case reviews

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

frequencies

Tom's Hardware case reviews

Post by frequencies » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:46 am

I checked out the Tom's Hardware case review just posted on the site. To my astonishment i found this little gem in the review. For those of you who doesn't get it right away, the shockproof pads he is referring to is preinstalled rubber grommets for damping vibrational noise from the harddrive.

"Also included were shockproof pads on the 3-½ hard drive cage to help protect the hard drives from damage due to transit. This should be a welcomed innovation to gamers who regularly attend LAN parties and are always worried about crashing their hard drive due to movement. While we are not sure how much additional protection this strategy offers, it is nice to see the Compucase team trying to come up with innovative ideas to at least try to address this."

mudboy

Post by mudboy » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:37 am

Good lord. When did computer cases become so ass-ugly? I mean, geeze, there were only 3 or 4 in that entire group that I would even consider having under my desk.

Ugh. Ly.

Pete

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:22 am

When did computer cases become so ass-ugly?
Thank you. That Enermax in the round up is the worst offender. Looks like a pimped out Firebird with T-Tops. ...and you know what they say about people who drive Firebirds....

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:09 am

Seriously, these cases are so ugly, but its not just limited to cases! Have any of you guys seen the electronics stores like Circuit City or Best Buy? There stereo shelf systems are ugly and BIG. Cars are the same way, all of them are partially trying to copy the modded Integras and Civics (and Neons, etc..., I don't want to be flamed ...) I had to hunt to find a plain descent looking case that WASN'T an Antec/Chenneming... bah. :?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:18 am

There is definately a market for quiet, good cooling cases that dont look like crap.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:40 pm

I was thinking about Making my own, but I wouldnt know where to get the metal, or how much it would cost. Not to mention I would need access to a metal shop for cutting and bending the metal.