GlobalWin YCC-61F1

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Liquidated

GlobalWin YCC-61F1

Post by Liquidated » Fri May 02, 2003 1:45 pm

ok from the info gleaned here I picked up a GlobalWin YCC-61F1 from http://www.computernerd.com for $145 w/o PSU.

Live only about 40 miles from the store so ups ground took a day to deliver.

Case is in pristine condition with only one of the external thumbscrews requiring a screwdriver to make that first twist. Lots of pics at http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/h ... 011_1.html

Comes with a bonus LCD display thing on a 5.25 inch beze whose purpose I'm still not sure... really doubt I'll use it actually, whatever it's for.

Also included was a acrilic left side panel that can replace the standard aluminum siding. Yet another bit I'll doubt I'll use. The requisit casters will keep the window and LCD company I'd imagine.

The following is planned, see any glaring mistakes?

So with the 120mm 350 watt SPI psu (never had a sparkle die on me so no reason to change) in place, a planned slk 900 hs with 92mm fan It's down to 4 fans the smallest being 92mm.

I plan on Picking up the deluxe acustic pack for damping and considering all the sides pop right off, it should be simplistic to install.

I'll install Fan isolators for the planed default panaflow 120mm replacements of the stock Sunon KD1212PTB2-6A's. Actually what fans I'll replace the sunons with I am still rooting around about.

Have not decided on the method for isolating the hardrive yet nor even the mainboard cpu choice. It's either a 2500+ barton on and abit ns7 rev 2.0 or, if I can hold out long enough, a p4 2.4 GHz 800 on a canterwood solution.

Will use rounded cables to keep the tangle at bay (no pun intended)

Not sure what to think of the front bezel in front of the intake fan. I'm really rather weary of slicing things apart to mod but would like the front fan to brethe.

Overall it doesn't need to be absolutely quiet but since it's a ground up sort of situation, I might as well get it done right the first time. I'm not into making the pc look like a showroom there will never be any sort of windows or colored fans.

Any suggestions or do I seem on the right track?

Cheers!
-Liq

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 02, 2003 2:16 pm

Sounds like a kick butt case! I want one! :D

In my opinion, you've got the best case, the best PSU, the best sound absorbing material, now I suggest getting the best fans: the Papst 4412's. They are only $5 more than the Panaflos, quieter, and thinner (25mm).
And, get the best PSU: the SLK900U. (for it's weight, I think it's the best)

tkortens
Friend of SPCR

Post by tkortens » Fri May 02, 2003 4:21 pm

Excellent - I will be following your lead here Liquidated ... and very much appreciate the counsel from Katana Man, and all.

I'll probably be behind - as my timeline is stretched with work travel - but really look forward to this (expensive - but try and get it right) build ...

Cheers back!
tk

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Fri May 02, 2003 5:48 pm

Depending on the mobo you get, you may be able to configure the LCD panel to display your case & CPU temps. Easier to monitor temps--right out front-- means easier to lower fan voltage (or remove unneeded fans) which means a quieter computer. Plus some people think they look cool.

NeilBlanchard

Sweet case

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri May 02, 2003 7:37 pm

Hello:

Real good lokkin' case -- the only things that bother me (a bit) are:

the sharp edges mentioned in the review

the front intake grill (in the plastic bezel) looks quite restrictive -- unless there is a large intake slot at the bottom or something?

the price is a bit steep -- it's about $50 higher than a modded D8000, though it has the unusual front slot and the polished metal removable tray...

The really good points are those (nearly) totally open fan grills, all those drive bays (which if filled, certainly won't be all that quiet! :P ), the removable motherboard tray, the front slot. And to think the stock PS is a Channel Well....yucka pitooee. :oops:

Liquidated

a bit rough

Post by Liquidated » Fri May 02, 2003 10:12 pm

Well it might be that I've been forced to work on the likes of cheapo hp's and e machines to fix friends' and family's PCs but the "rough edges" aren't all that bad. But since there's a good lead time of about a month from the case arriving and the final pc being fitted, I'll take the time to sanitize the case's wayward edges with good old 'friction' and his pal 'goop' regardless.

As for the front bezze I agree, it's whispering to me even now about modder's mesh. There are two air intakes at the bottom of the panel which flare out to about 3/4" average inches and there's more than enough clearance if you add the supplied casters.

If I had my camera here I'd post a few pics to show you what I mean but alas the afor mentioned family is using it.

Not a "fan" of the front bezzle's ventilation though so I'll toss around ideas about freeing up some in the coming week. The main problem is that the fan is left mounted kinda complicating that idea. No sense making the case look ugly if I don't need to. The nice thing is it's just plastic, could use a nail file on that =p

On other "fronts" (yes I speak in puns constantly), no matter what I do, I traditionally end up with 2 hard drives in my pc. Since the case has far more drive space than a quiet PC warrents I have room to be creative.

<insert that grinning devil face here>

The main idea I'm "tossing" about is to mount those two HD's in the lower 3.5 cage by suspending them in the cage vertically. Since the intake fan is right there, They'll not need anymore cooling no matter how hot the future drives get. Have not really even thought about HOW I'll do that but therein lies the fun!

Let me get my digicam back and I'll post a few pics before I do any cutting or drilling.

As for the price, well I'm of the school of thought where another $50 only matters on 'other people's' cases. Since I'm only getting rid of my current case because I refuse to upgrade that bloody (litterally) HP again for my family I was in the market for the last case I'll own for an atx form factor pc. Oh the horror of working on a case where switching out memory requires one to have tooth picks for fingers or you have to remove the lower drive cage (that was never intended to be removed) to even SEE the dimm slot.

This is not much more than any other case that has the features like the removeable mb tray, removeable right panel, and 120mm fan mounts on it. By no means the ultimate case (as if there was one) but I seriously doubt there's another case out there that has the features I wanted and was under $200 with a *good* psu. And heck if there is, it's too late now! But yeah for a PC for someone else? No way.

Oh and if anyone was curious, the total clincher was that view of the rear exhaust grill... haha about fell out of my seat when I was that on a 'stock' case.

Cheers!
-Liq

Badashmods

Post by Badashmods » Fri May 09, 2003 11:14 pm

Liquidated, if your not going to use the acrylic side window, I could probably use it for mine if you want to get rid of it. Then I could mod one with a blowhole and one without.

Liquidated

sure

Post by Liquidated » Sat May 10, 2003 2:46 am

hmm pm me the details and um you pick up the postage after the fact.

Don't need it and I'm not looking for any profit from it.

edit:bah SF that's right across the bay. I think I could manage to throw it over to ya.

Cheers!
-Liq

CRT_Leech

Post by CRT_Leech » Mon May 12, 2003 12:58 pm