Noiseblocker fans: too good to be true??

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elandra

Noiseblocker fans: too good to be true??

Post by elandra » Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:49 am

The stats on these noiseblocker fans are excellent, has anyone tested them and why does no one reccomend them????????

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:16 am

A quick search only came up with german sites, do you have any more details? Stats seem similar to the papst NGML and NGL,

ie 19dB - 50m3h (~29CFM i think)
11dB - 30m3h (~17CFM...)

Its strange that lots of the quiet PC products come from germany, but most of the europeans on here are scandinavian... ...anyway, enough idle thoughts must get back to work :roll:

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:35 am

Actually, I'm part german, have a few relatives over there... can't speak the language though.

elandra

Post by elandra » Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:44 pm

yeah I thought they were quite similar to the papst but slightly better, and if they didn't make the annyoying clickey noises everyone says the papst make they will be excellent, if no one has tried them, I might some delivered to my aunt in Germany then get it from her next time i visit :-)

terramir

Post by terramir » Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:11 pm

Actually my mother bought one for me I'm in Los ANgeles and the Ultrasilent2 from noiseblocker is quieter than the panaflo 80 mm low fan which is rated 24 cfm 21 dba hey 29.4 cfm is probably totally right and 19 dba is probably tooit gave me 1 or two c better temps than the panaflo with the vulcano 7 and now with the thermalright slk 800 it's totally sufficent to cool my xp 2000 I'm getting temps from 9 to 13 c over chipset which is not half bad considering all the stuff I have in my modded at full tower with atx 425 psu also modded with a panaflo fan at 8.6V

jaypers

Post by jaypers » Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:03 am

Am looking into these too! They would be cheaper than the Papst if it wasn't for the postage from Germany! (but then the difference is pretty small)

Anyone had any experience with them since the last post? I am particularly interested in noise levels at minimum revs against a Papst...?

Thanks

jp

jaypers

Post by jaypers » Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:39 am

Have found some info on them! :D

Unfortunately for me and prob many others my german isn't quite good enough to fully understand! I used babelfish which gave me an idea of what they were saying!

Perhaps soemone who speaks German could summarise :?:

I understand that when at lower voltages the Papst is more efficient than the noiseblocker but that the noiseblocker gives a better cfm/db ratio at 12V....? No mention of the clicking noise....?

http://www.overclockers.at/showthread.p ... adid=52462

jp

jaypers

Post by jaypers » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:13 am

Well after that last post last month, I decided to take the plunge!

I've bought 1x80mm Ultrasilent2 and 1x92mm Ultrasilent2 (specs on Noiseblocker.de)

Will try and post a decent review when I have a moment and when I've done some decent testing. In the meantime I have to say I am very impressed:

The 92mm is definitely MUCH quieter than my Zalman Flower Cooler (ok that is not difficult! :lol: ). My Asus motherboard QFan system seems to be able to drive it through a wider range of speeds too.

The 80mm seems to offer the same noise level as my Papst 8412 (the 20db 26cfm one) at similar output settings (amateur testing). Best of all though is that my Papst went through a minimal change of speed (say 100% to 80%)when controlled by Speedfan software on my Asus a7v333 mobo. It meant I was going to be forced to build a thermal controller. I don't need to now as the Ultrasilent can be controlled from virtually not spinning to full speed by Speedfan! However strangely, my Papst is a lucky non-clicking one but I can hear a *slight* clicking from the Ultrasilent...

Those are my initial findings to help people to make their own decisions and I should point out that I'm very new to PC silencing! Hope its a bit helpful though! I will try and put a more detailed post at some point in the future but happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

Right am now off to compare it to the 80mm Papst that does 11db/19cfm!

jp

DarkLord

Post by DarkLord » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:45 pm

Well I haven't had one of the later noiseblocker fans, But I do own a SuperSilent S2, that can still be found as "Noiseblocker SuperSilent S2 OEM" within the germany online shop I think. it's the one that is still completely black, not one of the newer who come in transparent white/blue colours.

I'd say this fan was a dissapointment to me, since it was still pretty loud. I don't relly know how well the current white/blue S2 Model does perform / produce noise, but I am absolutely sure that it couldn't beat a Papst N/2GL (rated @ 12db) when it comes to nosie. i realize that a lot of people over there in the US seem to have a lot of problems with clicking noises from Papst fans, but i haven't really got a clue where those might come from, since here in germany there are some really decent reviews on Papst and other competing silent fans, that clearly show that the N/2GL is the quietest fan out there 8at stock 12v - would become even quieter undervolted justlike others would of course).....

Well I don't want to say don't try the noiseblocker fans or something, i just wanted to add, that its not very likely that the S2 would be quieter than a N2GL since both are from germany and over here no one really cares too much about this noiseblocker fan... But I'll see if i can find some review on the NB Fan, so that everybody here is able to compare it to the N2GL better.

:) Gimme some time...

DarkLord

Post by DarkLord » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:58 pm

Its strange that lots of the quiet PC products come from germany, but most of the europeans on here are scandinavian... ...anyway, enough idle thoughts must get back to work
Don't know if there are many scandinavian sites about silent computing , but in germany there are at least some decent sites (some sites dedicated entirely to it, and many sites that try to cover this topic as well), so i guess most germans hang around there ;)

Anyways: I looked around a bit and only found two reviews about the current noiseblocker fans, but those weren't really usefull, since they are pretty short and have been done by 'normal' non-silent sites ;)

But I had a look at the specs of those fans, and if you are looking for the 'quietest' you could buy with decent airflow, the Papst N/2GL with "33m²/h (19,4CFM) / 12 db" definitely beats the S2 with "23(!)-50m3/h / 11-19 dB".
Even if the 11dB (rating from Noiseblocker) would actually be quieter than the 12dB (rating from Papst), you could still undervolt the N2GL to 9 or 7V and would still come out with some more airflow than the S2...
Hope I could help a bit :/

jaypers

Post by jaypers » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:10 am

I definitely agree with Darklord re the 11db Papst, didn't mean to say the Ultrasilent could beat that one. Should also have pointed out that yes I have the blue/clear (new?) Ultrasilent 2 which.

I also have to admit to a mistake in my 'reporting': the Papst I compared it to is the one which does 34cfm and 26db (not the the 26/20). :oops: Shame one me getting confused with all these numbers! :roll:

However I have to say the noise levels do seem the same at similar outputs. For me the big advantage is the 'driveability' via my mobo of the Ultrasilent which is where the Papst and Zalman were not so good - saves me extra electronic gizmos and allows software flexibility.

Oh a final one about the Papst clicking: I ordered mine (11db/19cfm) from Noiseblocker too and it definitely does not click. My other Papst (34cfm/26db) was bought from koolnquiet in the UK and clicks very slightly. I think we have a German conspiracy!!! :lol:

DarkLord

Post by DarkLord » Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:13 am

jaypers wrote:I think we have a German conspiracy!!! :lol:
hehe, at least that would explain why i did never here of such clicking noises from the Papst fans here in germany ;) *g*

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Thu Nov 28, 2002 5:42 pm

DarkLord wrote:
Its strange that lots of the quiet PC products come from germany, but most of the europeans on here are scandinavian... ...anyway, enough idle thoughts must get back to work
Scandinavian?

I am certainly not Scandinavian and aint seen many in this forum either, I am from the UK.

Germany are renowned for their engineering in europe! Its one of the best.. They are the one of the best car manafacturers in europe (possibly the world, but Americans would always dispute this, LOL :lol: ) including Mercedes, BMW, and Volkswagon. Probably the best domestic appliances too including washing machines, frigde-freezers, hoovers etc..

This is why they make a lot of nice fans too, Its a real shame, even I live in europe I have the same problems understanding them and trying to buy or get more information about a certain product.

I have installed the Zalman cooper cooler CPNS6000 series, and 3 Zalman 92mm silent fans, they are all running at the minimum setting. It has reduced my PC noise to about half. But its not still not quiet enough for me to sleep with it on. You still hear quite a bit of air turbulance, but it's a more pleasent noise than the high pitch whinning I was getting from my previous setup. I will upgrade to the new king of HSF reviewed by this site soon.

SOME FIGURES ZALMAN DON'T PRINT:
Zalman 92mm fans shifts 40cfm in silent mode (20dBA according to them, I doubt this very much), and shifts 56cfm in normal mode (36dBA). This is a reply from Zalman themselves on their forums.

I wished Athlon XP CPU did not run so hot, so it would be much easier to build a quiet pc, or possibly even a silent pc, Intel P4 owners are lucky. I wished I bought a P4 to start with as it only came to a mere £70 more. I am spending a lot more in the long run, specially trying to keep things quiet and cool.

jojo4u

Re: Noiseblocker fans: too good to be true??

Post by jojo4u » Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:32 am

elandra wrote:The stats on these noiseblocker fans are excellent, has anyone tested them and why does no one reccomend them????????
I am German so I might help you. Generally Noiseblockers are considered to be relabled YS-Fans. Some people says no but the majority yes :-) Generally I would recommend not to import these. Your Panaflo should be comparable.
Papst are considered to be the best. I only have Papst in my system :-) The sleeve bearings have a long lifespan and the noise doesn't change much over time. Additionally Papst don't have less vibrations. Unfortunalety the production differences in noise in the same series are hearable. Here are 2 NGL with a slight rubbing noise and one without it. You can't always get want you want... I never had a clicking. Even with my 2 undervolted NGL. And in the forums I regularly visit never where any complaints. Sorry for my English but I don't want to spent mounths to look up every word. I could compare a 92mm Enermax transparent to my Papst ones if you have the Enermax at home.