Undervoltable motherboard with fan speed control?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Undervoltable motherboard with fan speed control?

Post by mattthemuppet » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:13 am

anybody know if there's somewhere I can find this info? I know there's an Undervoltable MB list in the recommended section, but haven't found anything about MB PWM. Just found out my MB (Gigabyte 7VT600-P-RZ) doesn't undervolt and speedfan doesn't work on it either. If I can slip a new MB past the wife in a few months :) I'd like to try and avoid either mistake again!
thanks
matt

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:29 am

Probably not your cup of tea, but the AOpen 855 and 915 m-ATX Pentium M boards are undervoltable and supported by Speedfan.

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:31 am

unfortunately not Ralf, though from lack of funds rather than lack of interest. Still, that lack of funds (and the job to go with them) should give me time to sift through all the posts regarding motherboard fan control and build up a list that could be cross-referenced to the undervoltable motherboard list. Might help others in a similar quandry :)

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:33 am

the soltek are undervoltable but do NOT support speed fan.

the SOYO TISU is undervoltable and supports speedfan. it's socket 370

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:10 pm

cheers Dan, I'll add those to the list :)

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:06 am

actually
i bought a soltek because its on SPCR's list. :)

i originally had a gigabyte motherboard which was NOT undervoltable NOR had speedfan control which i promptly RMA'd.

i wish SPCR would post motherboards that are BOTH undervoltable AND speedfan controlable.

alternatively,
it would be nice if SPCR would have a list which we the public could post and add to the list. unfornately id on't know any socket 754/939 motherboards to add to the list that has both.

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:39 am

that's what I'm going to try and do, just haven't (ahem) got round to starting yet :) If I can glean enough infor out of all the posts about speedfan/ mb fan control I'll mail the list to SPCR and see if they can incorporate it somewhere.

Sadly I only discovered SPCR after I bought my mb, looks like I'll have to flog it to a mate and try and sell the idea of getting a new one to the wife :shock: !

egghat

Post by egghat » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:28 am

DFI UT nf3 Lanparty 250 GB ist undervoltable and has speedfan support for CPU and case fan (which btw. is worse than the support in the BIOS). It is a ATX socket 954 board (Sempron or Mobile Athlon 64), so not for everyone.

Bye egghat

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:36 am

do you mean socket 754?

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:34 am

well, many sessions of insomnia later, it's done. I've mailed it to MikeC and he said he'll look into amending the undervoltable MB list when there's time. In the mean time, if anybody wants the Excel file, just mail me and I'll forward it on to you :)

Ralf - no section on the list yet for Pentium M, though I've added one on the spreadsheet. Any idea on the voltage ranges available?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:16 am

mattthemuppet wrote:
Ralf - no section on the list yet for Pentium M, though I've added one on the spreadsheet. Any idea on the voltage ranges available?
The AOpen 855GMEm-LFS and the AOpen 915GMm-HFS both go from .700V to the CPU's default of 1.324V.

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:23 am

cheers Ralf! forgot to ask - did you test any fan headers other than the CPU one for speedfan support?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:10 am

mattthemuppet wrote:cheers Ralf! forgot to ask - did you test any fan headers other than the CPU one for speedfan support?
I tested the rear case fan header on the 915 board and it worked with Speedfan.

Pétur

Gigabyte GA-KNXP-9

Post by Pétur » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:38 pm

A quick update on the GA-KNXP-9 (and probably SLI):

- underclocking/undervolting: I've had quite a bit of a conversation with Gigabyte about not being able to go below 1.1V on my Venice, and the current status is that the guy from support thinks it's a hardware limit, but he's passing on the question to a BIOS engineer for more info.

- fan control: I just installed the newly released BIOS version (F6) and quite a bit of settings have been added in the smartfan section: You can now set three speeds (PWM factors), three temperatures for those speeds and one fan-off temperature. Have that enabled now and it seems to be working (fan stopped and restarted), still have to test more. Also: SpeedFan still can't control the fans, but maybe I need to disable smartfan for that first. On the other hand, the bios settings will do fine :)

(small warning: after flashing F6, board wouldn't boot. Needs powerdown. Also: all bios settings are reset after that!)

Peter