Folding Death!

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

riffst3r

Re: Folding Death!

Post by riffst3r » Sun May 04, 2003 6:19 pm

Radeonman wrote:Other than that, this is just fricin' weird.
you got that right.

my main hdd is a seagate barracuda IV 40gb. the other one is a western digital 120gb (2mb 7200rpm). both have been on 24/7 since i got them. its about a year for the seagate, and about ten months for the WD.

i play a lot of command and conquer, and watch tv on my computer. the digital vcr i have, always takes about 40-50% of cpu usage. i turn on kazaa only when i'm not browsing, i'm on a 128k line, so i need all the bandwidth i can get while browsing. but my p4 can handle the game, kazaa, f@h, my im programs, winamp, and a few other things... all at once. it doesn't even hiccup. i'm happy :D

also, i reboot every couple days, but the computer's never off for more than a minute in a week. the reboot is for windows xp... it kinda gets stale and lazy.

what's your system's spec's?

i've also noticed that winamp considerably slowed down the graphical client, but it hardly affects the command line version.

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Sun May 04, 2003 6:48 pm

'Delta Force: Black Hawk Down' is nice. :D

i use the MAD plugin for winamp.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Mon May 05, 2003 2:08 am

Radeonman wrote:the computer will hard-reboot.
I had this on 2 of my systems when running the graphical client whenever I tried to display the protein: could never suss where the problem was but suspected clash with either MBM, my virus checker, ZoneAlarm or similar. Since swapping to console version + Electron Microscope have avoided that problem.

com

Post by com » Tue May 06, 2003 5:09 am

Radeonman wrote:With the visit this past weekend of "she-who-isn't-silence-giddy" (she lives out of town), the box got some good quiet time to itself to fold. If it I let it fold by itself, everything is well.

Sometimes after I get home after a day of letting it fold by itself, or fold by itself and let dc++ take some cycles to download some anime, I often like to fire up Half-Life. Sometimes I forget to turn off folding (and dc) before kicking this up. If I don't kill HL before it starts loading the map, the hard drive will literally spin down (like it died a cruel death) and the computer will hard-reboot. This happens on both a WD 80 gig SE and my new Cuda V.

So be careful with folding, it doesn't always play nice. The only thing I could think of that would possible save me is another 256 of ram (I only have 256). Other than that, this is just fricin' weird.

tbh, sounds like it could be a power problem. Especially as you said the HD spins down (and you established it wasn't faulty). If you think about it 100% CPU then booting up a game which will draw a lot more power for the GFx card and HD (particularly when loading), this could overwhelm a 300W PSU. Worth checking out I reckon.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Wed May 07, 2003 6:14 am

I would check PSU first as well. Be careful, you could be losing data in no time.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed May 07, 2003 2:11 pm

AFAIK the PSU's rated output will drop as the temp inside the PSU rises. Try to remove the mods from your PSU fan and see if it helps.

Cheers,

Jan