new AX8 mobo not able to boot up

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ngtisu

new AX8 mobo not able to boot up

Post by ngtisu » Tue May 31, 2005 6:10 pm

alright, i've installed everything correctly and i pressed the on button! guess what happened? nothing will boot up! the fan doesn't even turn and nothing is on the screen.

the post codes on the motherboard didn't help at all since it has no values.

then, the led from the mother board and the power led kept on blinking continuously.

man... it doesn't seem to work!

help!!!

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:17 pm

Hi, could be all sorts of things. Which parts are new and which are old (known working)?
I would start at the beginning. Unplug and disconnect everything, all cables cards, drives etc from the Motherboard and PSU. Clear CMOS. (place jumer on pins 2-3 for ~1 minute, then back to 1-2)
Start with motherboard, CPU & cooler, 1 stick of RAM in slot 1 (nearest CPU) and PSU. (not even video card, mouse, keyboard or anything). Connect power switch and speaker (if applicable) Try turning on.
If PSU fan comes on then PSU is (probably) OK.
If have 2 dimms can also try other if no luck.
If no PSU fan remove power cord, hold power-switch in for count 10, remove ATX plug from motherboard, hold power-switch in for count 10, reconnect ATX and power cord, retry. (Sounds crazy but I’ve had this work more than once)

If CPU fan comes on then motherboard is (probably) OK.
You may also beep code for video card failure.
If OK so far then plug video card and screen back in. Turn on and see what get on screen.
If OK turn off, connect keyboard, turn on, enter BIOS and set defaults. Reboot to be sure.
Turn off, add 1 component, turn on, if OK repeat until all OK or find the part that breaks it.

I've seen motherboard that can produce beep codes with no RAM in, you could try this if none of the above help.

Failing all the above find friend or shop with A64 (pref s939) system you can swap parts around with till find the faulty one(s)

Hope this helps, Seb

ngtisu

Post by ngtisu » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:54 pm

every component of the computer is new.

i've tried fixing the power supply to the motherboard together with cpu fan and ram. the power supply's fan didn't even start. however there's lights on the LED of the motherboard. so does that mean my motherboard is spoilt or the PSU?

thanks.

alglove

Post by alglove » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:05 pm

I would go a step further. Remove *all* the little case connector cables, *including* the cable for the power switch. Those cable can be a real pain, especially when you have one of them backwards. To start the computer, just hold a screwdriver to the power switch pins for a couple of seconds.

By the way, for those little connectors, Black or White is usually ground/negative. The Colored wire is positive.

Just a couple of hours ago, I had a computer on the bench that would not start, but sometimes the fan would jerk for a split second. It turned out the CPU was not plugged in correctly. Once I seated it correctly, it started just fine.

grandpa_boris

Re: new AX8 mobo not able to boot up

Post by grandpa_boris » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:30 am

ngtisu wrote:alright, i've installed everything correctly
this may sound obvious, but i missed it when i was replacing the video card on my machine a few weeks ago: it's an AGP card, and i had not correctly connected its 4-pin molex power feed. the symptoms were about the same, they system wouldn't POST. in my case, i had mistakenly plugged the card into my hacked-up 5V fan power feed line (12V wire snipped out and 5V routed in its stead). once i realized that and plugged the right powerline into the card (required moving all power feeds in the box around), everything worked.

Steve Rosenthal
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Steve Rosenthal » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:30 am

You say the power supply fan isn't spinning, so I'd focus there first. This may be obvious, but most power supplies have a switch to set it for 110V or 220V operation. Make sure you've got it set to the proper voltage for your electrical system. If it's an auto-ranging power supply, it's supposed to figure that out automatically and won't have the switch.

If the switch is set correctly or it's auto-ranging, the next things to try would be:

- Try a different power supply on your motherboard
- Try your power supply on a known good motherboard
- Get a power supply tester from a computer store (they're less than $10 around here)

If the power supply checks out, then it's on to other things.

Hope this is helpful (and sorry for being redundant if you've already gone through those steps).

--Steve

mikeki

Post by mikeki » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:33 pm

I was helping my dad build a system based on an AX8. We have the exact same problem with TWO of these motherboards.

I'm currently thinking there is a compatibility problem between the MB and the RAM (1 1GB stick of Corsair Value memory).

I'm beginning to think that these motherboards are very picky about components. It's also not clear that my dad has the patience to figure out the problem. He just bagging the MB and buying a different brand.