Who is Digitalix?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeC
Site Admin

Who is Digitalix?

Post by MikeC » Tue May 06, 2003 11:22 am

Alistair, SPCR's main web tech man, sent an email this morn:
Hi Mike,

In today's thread http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4451 digitalix responded to our discussion of whether to buy the seasonic or nexus power supply in Vancouver (the 2 quiet ones available here) with: "I say just try the silenx, they don't charge that much for shipping to Canada, send em an email to find out." I thought that was a stark contrast to our thread and I immediately thought: Does this guy work for silenx?

I did a quick IP check and... discovered that digitalix is also using the aliases:

- methodman
- sammy
- exoticpc
- silenx

All users reporting different locations but all making posts from the same IP located near Burbank, CA.

Looking over posts from these "users", they actually post and reply to one another! (Like puppets!) The theme is very clear: buy silenx, don't buy exoticpc: "Well, can't blame them for being greedy capitalists" and "Oh well, I don't purchase from exotic, period, if that makes any difference, heh"

Yuk! I believe this is extreme foul play and misuse of the SPCR forums.

Alistair.
After reviewing this information and the various posts by all the above "users", we decided to disable the accounts in question, except for silenx. Peter Kim appears to have been using the SPCR forums to boost sales for his company by pretending to be his own customer(s). The level of careful, systematic deception indicated is astonishing.

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Tue May 06, 2003 11:42 am

Sounds like another corporate orgy to me
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Tue May 06, 2003 11:44 am

w00t! Go Crime-Fighters!

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Tue May 06, 2003 11:52 am

Bah! Evil spam.

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Tue May 06, 2003 11:57 am

...and none of those names appear on the SPCR folding@home team - double Evil!

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue May 06, 2003 12:00 pm

:shock: It will be interesting to see how this all sorts out....I feel a bit slighted if these really are all alter egos of the same user, since I spent my own valuable free time to help some of these "identities." :evil: :x :evil:

Very glad to see our moderators are moderating so well. You guys are our heroes. 8)

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue May 06, 2003 12:01 pm

Really! :shock:
That is a surprise, certainly had me fooled.

It did surprise me when he mentioned he used all kinds of quiet PSU including fanless ones and stuck with silenX units.

Anyway there is no denying the silenX PSU are extremely quiet. No, I am not working for them. LOL :twisted:

So is exoticpc a legitmate member and under what allias?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue May 06, 2003 12:08 pm

Very glad to see our moderators are moderating so well.
We should have caught it sooner. :oops: There were signs earlier. I guess our own instinct is not to be suspicious.

Will35

Post by Will35 » Tue May 06, 2003 12:09 pm

I'm really looking forward to hearing what, if anything, Peter has to say for himself. I've talked to him on the phone and he seemed very knowlegable. It's too bad he seems to have shot himself in the foot with this deception. He would have done a hell of alot better for his business by being a bit more adult. I for one wouldn't trust Silenx with my credit card info.

Of course there is the possibility that we've been dealing with a person with multiple personalities! :shock:

Will35

Post by Will35 » Tue May 06, 2003 12:11 pm

We should have caught it sooner. There were signs earlier. I guess our own instinct is not to be suspicious.
Only the paranoid survive :)

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Tue May 06, 2003 12:12 pm

Yeah, I'd say credibility is seriously hampered. Lying always comes back to bite you in the ass.

MiSS KiTTY

Post by MiSS KiTTY » Tue May 06, 2003 12:17 pm

nah, I'm here on my own
Last edited by MiSS KiTTY on Tue May 06, 2003 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue May 06, 2003 12:17 pm

I was just planning to order a few things from Peter Kim. Now I am unsure if I can trust him with my credit card. Hmm, I am pondering.. I hope he comes up with a reply in the forums to admit to what he has done.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue May 06, 2003 12:23 pm

Just thinking, could this whole thing be a setup, by Exotic PC and SilenX Corporation?

To gain publicity.. I mean their websites are almost identical! Surely if Peter Kim was setting up his own business, that would be the last thing you would want to do. :shock:

I am very suspicious of the so called two companies now..
Last edited by ez2remember on Tue May 06, 2003 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue May 06, 2003 12:24 pm

No regrets: I have no time for anyone practicing deception.

With the benefit of hindsight, I had noticed the psu in the sig, as well as link to maker which was odd, also the tone of some posts, and obviously in the last 36hours getting fairly beligerant. Good riddance. And whoever the sad bastard is they will probably try again and not understand they are despised by society in general.

However many of us 'hide' behind psuedonyms here which is both the norm and has some benefits. Respect that priviledge folks.

Chris

silenx
-- Vendor --

Post by silenx » Tue May 06, 2003 12:27 pm

The truth unravels. Kudos to Alistair. We at SilenX admit what we've done. Apologies if it has done no good to the members here. For the four guys that spent half a year into the development of this product, this was our last resort for all the broken promises from the owner of Ahanix who have specifically mentioned they would not profit using the SilenX name. Censor that above line if you must if it qualifies as "no bad mouthing the other". And Kitty, Louis has been putting you up to the task of checking here, right? Feel free to contact us if you have any questions, we'll be here for you.

Best Regards.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Tue May 06, 2003 12:28 pm

Way to go Alistair for pointing this out !! Things seemed "weird" to me, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. It's like somehow our subconscious knows and maybe tries to tell us? Sorry, now I'm sounding like JoJo or something !! :D
Mike, did you write this or did silenx:
(from Silenx Vs Panaflow at Identical Flow Rates)
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... c&start=25
-- In the interest of peace, NO asides and cheap shots against competitors will be tolerated. Any further contentiousness by either party to the other in this fracus will be banned from the SPCR forums. There will be no further warning. --
If that was silenx, that really is quite hypocritical !!
Last edited by marc999 on Tue May 06, 2003 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silenx
-- Vendor --

Post by silenx » Tue May 06, 2003 12:30 pm

The moderators did. For obvious reasons.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue May 06, 2003 12:31 pm

That was me. I noticed that particular post a day or two ago -- full of pokes at his former employer. I have no problems with people/companies selling themselves (within reason) but attacking others: NO!

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue May 06, 2003 12:48 pm

silenx wrote:The truth unravels. Kudos to Alistair. We at SilenX admit what we've done. Apologies if it has done no good to the members here. For the four guys that spent half a year into the development of this product, this was our last resort for all the broken promises from the owner of Ahanix who have specifically mentioned they would not profit using the SilenX name. Censor that above line if you must if it qualifies as "no bad mouthing the other". And Kitty, Louis has been putting you up to the task of checking here, right? Feel free to contact us if you have any questions, we'll be here for you.

Best Regards.
You admit to what? True and meaningful confessions are specific.
You guys (if there really is more than one of you) would have generated more business in the long run by shooting staight from the get-go with the folks in the SPCR forums (which I'm still not sure you are doing). I believe, superior product or not, you have greatly damaged your credibility with this community and as a result, have likely ruined your greatest sales base.
I fail to see how your deception (false users in conversation with one another) qualifies as a last resort in response to your problems with Ahanix--if indeed such problems really exist. What did you hope to gain over Ahanix by leading us on?
You may "be here for [us]", but don't count on our business being there for you. :cry:

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue May 06, 2003 12:48 pm

LOL omg I knew that from the start. I never said anything cause I figured everone else already knew.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue May 06, 2003 12:57 pm

GamingGod wrote:LOL omg I knew that from the start. I never said anything cause I figured everone else already knew.
You must have a 6th sense. :D

I was suprised when digitalX joined and posted lots in such a short period. Something was wrong but I could not put my finger on it either. So I am surprised you knew.

silenx
-- Vendor --

Post by silenx » Tue May 06, 2003 1:07 pm

Aphonos:

We admit to the wrongdoings in here by deceiving the forum members with our posts from multiple user IDs and apologize for the harm it's done. As you've mentioned, we have hurt our credibility to you members and that is our own fault.

As for the problems with Ahanix, we'd rather not divulge that in here. It is far too complex and in some regards, personal, for the sake of this forum. The only gain we are even seeking is the discontinuance of Ahanix carrying SilenX brand products, again, long story behind the reasons why.

If we can't have your business aphonos, that's our sincere loss. We don't expect you to forgive us nor we we expect you members to think of us any differently, before and now. We appreciate your understanding if you choose to consider us in the future.

schnee
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by schnee » Tue May 06, 2003 1:19 pm

Shameful, simply shameful. :roll:

You have a good product guys, why did you have to go and act with such dishonesty? I don't care about your rationalizations... there are a dozen ways you could have gotten better press instead of masquerading as a legitimate forum member, trashing every other power supply whenever possibleand posting crap like:
(digitalix) Silenx are the best best best! :D
As it stands now, SilenX was my first choice for my next machine but frankly, not any more.

Oh yeah, absolutely no threats implied, but I recognize a lot of names here on Arstechnica (yo GamingGod wassuuuuu) so please try to be above-board from now on there as well. If 'digitalix' (whoever that is) starts in with 'well Zalman and Nexus are Ok but OMG SilenX SPOOGE' there I'm sure someone on Ars will post a link back here. That community doesn't like being trolled either... do a search for 'Hansen Systems' sometime. :)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue May 06, 2003 2:02 pm

"Oh yeah, absolutely no threats implied, but I recognize a lot of names here on Arstechnica (yo GamingGod wassuuuuu)"
Huh? Im not on any other forums under this name, im on the ocaddiction forum sometimes but thats under another name.
And it wasnt that hard to tell that digitalx or whoever was involved in that company. If you look back at all his posts they are almost 95% all saying that SilenX is the $hiT, and all the other power supplys are loud. Next time this happens ill make sure to warn everyone. :D

Alistair
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Alistair » Tue May 06, 2003 2:15 pm

As are many of us, I'm having a difficult time figuring out any motive. You have a great product, consumers here agree, and we welcome you to talk to us UP FRONT. That is called a great opportunity, and you made it self-sabotage.

in one puppet show, digitalix talks to sammy (himself): http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4311 (seems like Miss Kitty knew something was up?)

Vector asks: "Hey digitalix, you're from Camden?" Silenx responds from California: "In Camden now, just moved here from Pittsburgh!"

some people get a kick out of fooling others
i prefer kicking foolers

With so much manipulation you challenged the integrity of silentpcreview and the community here. I am pleased to announce that you have failed.
Last edited by Alistair on Tue May 06, 2003 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silenx
-- Vendor --

Post by silenx » Tue May 06, 2003 2:16 pm

Smart GamingGod, smart. schnee, I appreciate your thoughts and input on the matter. I'm sorry this has turned you away from our products. Dishonestly, well, try the products yourself and decide, we didn't report any facts incorrect or inaccurate using that alias, but that's besides the point. The review's out, use your God given blob above your neck and choose the product that's for you. We hope everyone fulfills their quest for silent computing and if you would like advice from us, again, completely at your discretion, don't hesitate to contact us.

betty

Post by betty » Tue May 06, 2003 2:18 pm

Uh-oh.. I feel a silenx-digitilix-carthy era coming on... Are YOU a commun.. umm I mean, a silenx employee?!

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue May 06, 2003 2:21 pm

can i just say that this thread definately needs to be in both the hall of shame, and the favorite thread's thread.

silenx
-- Vendor --

Post by silenx » Tue May 06, 2003 2:21 pm

Alistair, we'll explain soon enough. But some people have made up their minds. Nevertheless, personal apologies for disappointing you.