New off topic sections? What do you think?

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

Should we add new off topic sections?

Yes, a "troubleshooting" section only
No votes
Yes, a "general computing" section only
No votes
Yes, both sections would be helpful
63%
No, keep all off topic content in the same section
38%

Total votes: 8

Slaugh

New off topic sections? What do you think?

Post by Slaugh » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:58 pm

I think we should have a new section in the off topic forums for troubleshooting. I saw many threads about troubleshooting dead PC's, hard disks, video cards or Windows and I think a section for general troubleshooting could be helpful.

Maybe we should also split the general off topic section in two: One section for general discussion (sport, politics, coffee, dead mice, etc.) and another one for general computing (anything about computers that is not related to silent components).

What do you think?
Last edited by Slaugh on Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiBOY83

Post by ChiBOY83 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:56 am

i came into here to post this exact same post. i'd say at least 2 or 3 more off topic computer related sections are needed

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:32 am

I think that would encourage people to post more off topic computer related stuff.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:47 pm

mathias wrote:I think that would encourage people to post more off topic computer related stuff.

I don't think that would encourage people to post off topic content, I think it would encourage people to post their threads in the right forums. Adding a troubleshooting section would help to keep the forums on topic and more organized.

Here are some threads about troubleshooting:
This is just a few of them, there are much more, and as you can see, they are all over the place. A similar problem for a power supply was found in 3 differents forums (Silent front, Power supplies and Off Topic). Having a new Troubleshooting section would help in different ways:
  • By removing the troubleshooting stuff and placing it its own section. This would also help to keep the forums more organized.
  • With all troubleshooting stuff in a common section, it will be easier for any user to see if his problem was already solved. There are too much threads about installing Windows XP with SATA drives. But they are all over the place, in different sections, and difficult to find. Having them in a single section would help to reduce the number of threads with the same subject.
ChiBOY83 wrote:i'd say at least 2 or 3 more off topic computer related sections are needed
I don't think we need 3 or more sections. I think the Troubleshooting section is needed. Another section for General Computing would be helpful too. Right now, the Off Topic section is badly organized. I think a section for General Discussion and another one for General Computing would be enough. There are some computer products that are not silent at this time but they are promising and worth mentioning. Also, I saw a few threads in System Advice, The Silent Front and Off Topic where users were asking for the best smartcard readers, SPL meters, floppy drives or CRTs. Those thing don't belong to silent components and could be placed in the General Computing section, keeping the rest of the forums more organized.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:57 pm

Slaugh wrote:....

Agreed wholeheartedly. 8)

gitto

Post by gitto » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:44 pm

I'd also like to see a not-silent-but-computer-related forum here, for the sake of organisation.

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:33 am

I'm sure some people would think would think "There's a forum for these kinds of posts, so they can't have anything against them." or "There's 4 non silencing forums now, so it must be expected that it'll get significant traffic", and so on.

Because of this potential to steer the focus of these forums, I think it would be more appropriate to first add a "silencing other things" forum.

ChiBOY83

Post by ChiBOY83 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:50 pm

I have sorta come to a point where i am happy w/ my silencing endeavors (read: just to lazy to do anything else..including suspending my HD's) and its nice to still come back here and post on other topics in a familiar atmosphere, and still keep up w/ whats going on in silencing...

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:50 pm

ChiBOY83 wrote:I have sorta come to a point where i am happy w/ my silencing endeavors (read: just to lazy to do anything else..including suspending my HD's) and its nice to still come back here and post on other topics in a familiar atmosphere, and still keep up w/ whats going on in silencing...
Same here. I'm too lazy and cheap to silence further (but not to lazy to speculate about better silencing methods). I wouldn't mind it at all if SPCR expanded, although I think if it does it should expand into tangental areas. But that would increase bandwith costs, and would increase the burden on mods.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:09 pm

Yes, it's the same thing for me. SPCR is the only place where I'm an active member. Many forums have more avatars and big signatures than good content. Here, we have an intelligent community who has many things to share. Being able to help or get help from others in this endless task of silencing a PC, and being able to post off topic content as well is very nice! No need to register to other forums! :)

I just feel that a bit of organization is needed to improve the quality of the forums. The only dedicated off-topic forum is for F@H. Some users are still asking for not-so-silent components, or asking for unrelated troubleshooting advice in System Advice or The Silent Front. These threads are off topic and could be placed somewhere else. I don't think having one or two more sections would urge people to post off topic content. This would however encourage them to post any unrelated stuff in the proper sections. And new sections about "silencing a component"? Which ones? A mouse, a keyboard, a monitor? These ones can be discussed in the Silent Front or other sections right now... I like the way most of the sections are organized. But there are some users that need help to troubleshoot their dead PC's, or have trouble installing Windows on their new HDD's, and many of them are confused and not sure if they post in the right section... So a troubleshooting section might be helpful. The other one is just to have the "computer" stuff and the "very off topic" stuff in two different sections for the sake of organization...

Anyways, it's my opinion... Maybe I should add a poll to get better feedback...

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:32 pm

Slaugh wrote:Some users are still asking for not-so-silent components, or asking for unrelated troubleshooting advice in System Advice or The Silent Front.
The silent front doesn't get nearly as much traffic as it did before, apparently because the forums are so well organized with the specific categories. In system advice, there seems to be a natural tendency to drift towards non silence related topics, partly because sometimes you don't know what can affect noise levels.

ChiBOY83

Post by ChiBOY83 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:00 pm

don't see any mods in this thread... i do hope this catches on...