Poll: What do you think of cops?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Police Officers:

Love 'em
27%
Hate 'em
27%
Impartial
45%

Total votes: 44

daba
Friend of SPCR

Poll: What do you think of cops?

Post by daba » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:25 pm

In general, what is your disposition towards the police?

The key words are "in general" here. Your decision should not be based on whether you think they are necessary or not (although you are free to add your commentary), just your attitude towards them.
Last edited by daba on Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:26 pm

I've yet to meet one. Impartial.

Seafire

Post by Seafire » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:42 pm

Impartial. I don't really know any, so I guess that makes me free from bias. :wink: I'm also indifferent.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:08 pm

Impartial too. :P I don't know any, I haven't had any encounters with law enforcement (good or bad) to really note of, and don't know anyone who has.

I think you'll get wildly varying responses to this question, as some places tend to have police forces with worse reputations and a lot probably depends on what's hot in the media or if a person has had run-ins with the law or not.....

grandpa_boris

Post by grandpa_boris » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:22 am

i've encountered police under a variety of circumstances. in most cases they've been professional, concerned and helpful. a few (mostly traffic cops) had been unpleasant or malignant, but i think they are a very small minority.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:56 am

I like them. As a general rule I can always rob 'em blind on a nine ball table.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:17 pm

Most people who hate cops don't really hate cops, they just hate the laws that the cops enforce. Remember, cops don't make the laws, legislators do. If you hate the law, go after the guys writing the laws, not the ones hired to enforce them.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:47 pm

AZBrandon wrote:Most people who hate cops don't really hate cops, they just hate the laws that the cops enforce. Remember, cops don't make the laws, legislators do. If you hate the law, go after the guys writing the laws, not the ones hired to enforce them.
Do you agree that the police department attracts a lot of nosy, powerhungry people?

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:52 pm

AZBrandon wrote:Most people who hate cops don't really hate cops, they just hate the laws that the cops enforce. Remember, cops don't make the laws, legislators do.
Legislators just give the voters what they want. Also, moral codes are influenced by religion and tradition, among other things. Putting a bullet through the head of Dubya or Hu Jintao wouldn't have anywhere the same effect as if someone had put an arrow into Jesus, Aristotle or Confucius. But putting to much emphasis on these kinds of things is looking for an influence where one isn't really needed, a lot of laws are obvious and natural, so hating laws in general basically amounts to lashing out at society and order.

Cops are a prominent sysbol of the "status quo", in addition to having the responsibility to enforce potentially ambiguous laws for sometimes unclear situations, and the alleged ability to massively abuse their powers.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:06 pm

Love cops. I've never received an attitude from them, even when I WAS on the wrong side of the law.

I wanted to be one for a while, until I discovered that they generally get paid shit for crappy hours, and get even crappier time off. I've got a friend who's a State trooper in Ohio. Every major holiday, he's NOT allowed to take time off, because that's when there's more traffic and thus more problems (it sucked when he couldn't make it to my wedding for that very reason). I've never asked how much he makes, but I'm certain that it's not enough for his 12 hour shifts that he takes.

And that doesn't even take into account all the idiots and assholes he has to deal with.

Probably the worst thing I can imagine dealing with is the public who expects you to do the same with less, with questions like:
-Why does it take 15-20 SWAT members to stop some crazy grandma? How hard is it to stop an old lady?
-Why does every unruly situation end with everyone leaving in handcuffs, including the innocents? Can't they tell who's being violent and who's not?
-Why did that officer shoot that unarmed kid who's dancing around with that cap gun? Why couldn't he have used less deadly force?
(I can answer all those questions, can you?)

Every now and then, you meet someone who acts like all cops are people who get high on power. With attitudes like that, I wonder how many cops with bad attitudes got that way because of perpetually dealing with an ungrateful public.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:02 am

I don't particularly like or hate police in general, but I have met a few who were total assholes. There are also some, though, who really do care about serving and protecting. There are also some who are just plain lazy.

Another problem I have is the lack of proper weapon training. My opinion is that police should have MORE firearm training than even the Army does, because the cops have to be highly proficient in accuracy, non-lethal takedowns where appropriate, hostage situations, and other things that the Army just doesn't have to deal with. Not to say that beign a cop is any easier or harder than being on the front lines, just that they need more weapon training. In my opinion, police training should take at least a year, in which time the officers in training should be able to perform other duties that do not require carrying deadly weapons, in addition to their training. And of course, training and testing should continue throughout the officer's career.

frosty

Post by frosty » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:54 pm

Get along with them in general, but a few, well more than the good ones suck total kiddy candy dipped in manure. Those are craky lazy donut eating coffee obsessed excuse making lazy Terds. Sorry but it is true, they became Cops to get out of "real work'" and helping people. Plus they lie alot.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:54 pm

Actually I'm usually just disappointed. Too much crap goes on, on the roads, little is done. Whether you die by being shot or by a stupid driver, dead is dead.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:27 pm

impartial: dealt with a few cops who were real assholes. I've dealt with more who were genuinely caring concerned persons. Most of the time they do a good job, but occasionally they become unreasonable about the law.

BadAim

Post by BadAim » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:53 pm

Being a cop seems to be much like any other profession in that:

Some enjoy what they do and do it well
Some enjoy it and don't do it so well
Some hate what they do but love "the power"
Some are just there for the check

I think most will get my point. With said, I admire the good ones. They are doing something I don't want to, for money that is not good money by most peoples standards.

And yes, I know several of them.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:36 am

Impartial.. Not that i know any cops personally, and have only been stopped by traffic cops a few times. Once because i was driving very tired and someone reported me for drunk driving, apparently the police told the caller to follow me because i got the feeling the car behind was following me so i drove around the block and here and there to make shure. Yeop it was following me, the next thing i know its gone and there´s a copper behind me signalling to pull over :lol: Anyway, they tested if was drunk and said "have a good day" and i pulled off into a parking lot and took a nap :lol:

The last itme i was out driving on a friday night, i was coming home at about 4AM or so and everyone got stopped and tested for drunk driving, as at that time people are comnign home from bars, the first comment i got when i rolled down the window was "pretty nice wheels" :lol: We chatted a bit about my tyres wich are almost illegal due to wear, i brouht up the topic and they just said ill need to change before summer is over and wished me good day again :)

I have not met any nasty cops yet, and i dont honestly think there are that many. As long as you are friendly they dont have any reason to get nasty. If i would have said "Why the f*ck did you f*cking stop me for you f*cking f*ckers!?!" i think they might not have been as polite and i would probably have got a ticket for my tires.. :roll:

Anyway, impartial.