It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hickups?
Yay 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Nay 88%  88%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 48
Author Message
 Post subject: Hickups?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:49 am
Posts: 3011
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
Do you have hickups ATM?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:50 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:24 am
Posts: 1735
Location: 'Sunny' Cornwall U.K.
:shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:13 pm
Posts: 968
Location: Bristol, UK
Actually, yes :!: I find the best way to get rid of them is to drink water while you're upside down. I don't know why but it seems to work for me.

_________________
It's coming back


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:27 am
Posts: 774
Location: Quebec, Canada
Hmmm... According to the Guinness World Records:

Quote:
Longest Attack of Hiccups

Charles Osborne (1894–1991) of Anthon, Iowa, USA, started hiccupping in 1922 while attempting to weigh a hog before slaughtering it. He was unable to find a cure, and continued hiccupping until February 1990, a total of 68 year!

Osborne led a normal life in which he had two wives and fathered eight children. The only discomfort from his hiccuping, he claimed, was the constant risk of losing his false teeth!

During the first few decades, he hiccupped up to 40 times a minute, slowing to 20 a minute in later years. He finally stopped in 1990 – after an estimated 430 million spasms – and died the following year.

Poor guy! :shock: :shock: :shock:

_________________
Zalman LQ1000 liquid cooled case + dampening material + PVC tubes + MCP350 with EK top (acetal) and decoupling kit + Nexus 120mm + Xigmatek 200mm + HDD cage removed | Asus Maximus III Formula (ROG) | Intel Core I7 870 + EK Supreme (acetal) | 8GB Kingston | AMD Radeon HD 5850 1GB O/C + EK full cover block (acetal) | Western Digital Black 1TB + NoVibes III + Nexus 120mm (5V) | Seasonic X-850


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:15 am 
Offline
SPCR Reviewer

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:33 am
Posts: 8636
Location: Sunny SoCal
peteamer wrote:
:shock:


I suspect that post is alcohol related.

_________________
Main Box: Intel i3-3225, Intel DH77EB, 16GB Corsair RAM, 256GB Samsung 830, SS360GP PSU, CM PS07 case.
Music Server: Intel DH77EB + i3-3220, 2xSamsung 2TB F4, Pico PSU, Fractal Define Mini, 2xScythe Fans @250 rpm.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:29 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:24 am
Posts: 1735
Location: 'Sunny' Cornwall U.K.
Ralf Hutter wrote:
I suspect that post is alcohol related.

Pray tell how you came to that summarization... :shock: ...

I fail, myself, to see how the post is related to Alcohol... :? ...


Or is it a SoCal thing?...

:lol:


Pete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:49 am
Posts: 3011
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
Must be a SoCal thing.. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:39 pm 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:06 am
Posts: 3214
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
I don't have hiccups now, but on the rare occasion that I DO have them I do the following:
1) take a normal breath and hold it for a mental count to 10.
2) breathe out normally
3) Repeat the above 2 steps until they go away.

Since I am not you, YMMV, but the above has always worked for me within a minute or two.

My rationale for coming up with above method is Hiccups are a result of your diaphragm having a periodic spasm. No one is quite sure how or why that spasm comes about, but I figure that if you essentially focus on that muscle and force that muscle to act differently than normal you'll clear up any chemical/signal problem that might be occurring in your system. My theory may be a complete load, but with any luck, the above steps will work for you.

_________________
My Power Rig, Storage Rig, HTPC and Main Rig


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:03 am
Posts: 137
I think people have the wrong impression - this isn't about hiccups (US spelling) or hiccoughs (UK spelling) - it's about hickups.

My guess as to the meaning of this word is that it describes the increase in naivete or gullibility of a person coming from a rural setting into a metropolis. By a city-dweller, I would presume that I don't suffering from this syndrome.

Hmm?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:04 pm 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:06 am
Posts: 3214
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
PositiveSpin wrote:
I think people have the wrong impression - this isn't about hiccups (US spelling) or hiccoughs (UK spelling) - it's about hickups.

My guess as to the meaning of this word is that it describes the increase in naivete or gullibility of a person coming from a rural setting into a metropolis. By a city-dweller, I would presume that I don't suffering from this syndrome.

Hmm?

The closest equivalent term we have in the US is Hicks, though there are plenty of other terms for them. Most of them are derogatory

I had thought you had simply misspelled hiccups, since SPCR sees a lot of people who don't speak or write english as their primary language

_________________
My Power Rig, Storage Rig, HTPC and Main Rig


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:49 am
Posts: 3011
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
Whats up with it being spelled with two cs? I´ve never heard of another english word being spelled with two cs.. Is there others? :?:

And no my primary language isnt english, its my third one actually that being some kind of mix of british and US english. :mrgreen: My main languages are Finnish and Swedish.

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:58 pm
Posts: 2057
Location: Toronto
nici wrote:
Whats up with it being spelled with two cs? I´ve never heard of another english word being spelled with two cs.. Is there others? :?:


Do not try to find some kind of logic to english spelling or you will be sorry. Yew wyl bie verree sawrri.

nici wrote:
And no my primary language isnt english, its my third one actually.. That being some kind of mix of british and US english.


Really? At what age did you learn it? I doubt you can even pronounce all umpteen vowels in english.

I once ran into someone who spoke better english when drunk.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:49 am
Posts: 3011
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
mathias wrote:

Really? At what age did you learn it? I doubt you can even pronounce all umpteen vowels in english.



No i probably cant :lol: We learn english in school since third grade iirc, wich would be 9 years old. Of course i had listened to english music before that, singing along the music without having any clue of what i was singing :lol: And then you read magazines and watch a lot of english movies and tv programs, and now i´ve been typing on english internet forums for over five years. im nineteen now.

I understand English as good as Finnish or Swedish, and i can think how to pronounce words in my head but in real life my pronounciation is a bit off because i really dont speak english at all. Unless im really drunk and listening to music... I think my pronounciation is pretty good then too, its much easier to read text aloud or sing along a song than just talk to another person imo.

mathias wrote:

I once ran into someone who spoke better english when drunk.


Funny, that person must have been from Finland :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:27 am
Posts: 86
Location: Denmark
mathias wrote:
nici wrote:
Whats up with it being spelled with two cs? I´ve never heard of another english word being spelled with two cs.. Is there others? :?:


Do not try to find some kind of logic to english spelling or you will be sorry. Yew wyl bie verree sawrri.

nici wrote:
And no my primary language isnt english, its my third one actually.. That being some kind of mix of british and US english.


Really? At what age did you learn it? I doubt you can even pronounce all umpteen vowels in english.

I once ran into someone who spoke better english when drunk.


I, along with many I know, fall under this category. Or at least we think we speak better english when drunk. But then again, most people I know think they do EVERYTHING better while drunk.

I do, however, have the advantage of having been a resident of the US for 4 years. That's a long time ago, so I tend to hunt for words, but never when I'm drunk.

nici wrote:
Funny, that person must have been from Finland


It could have been ME! (but I'm a dane, and we drink more than finnish people do)

Anyway, if we can deduce that scandinavian people generally speak better english while drunk, there can be no other explanations than the following:

1. The english language sounds like a drunk individual speaking a scandinavian language.

2. The scandinavian population were taught to speak english while drunk (or at least hung over), and thus, are unable to speak the language properly sober (condition based learning: if you learn a skill while intoxicated, your proficiency in this skill will be best when you are in the same state of intoxication as when you were originally taught that skill). I find this alarming, but none the less highly probable, as recent studies show that danes, statistically, embark on their first drinking binge at the age of 13, and generally do this more than once per week (about one fifth of high school students living in a major city here do it thursday, friday and saturday) until the age of approximately 23. Danes also hold the coveted title known as "most alcohol consumed per capita under the age of 25". Globally.

3. We pretty much only speak english while clubbing, and thus, have no use for speaking english sober. The reason for this is, of course, that we only speak to foreigners when they, them selves are drunk, and we are in a position to take advantage of them.

It would be interesting to study the effects of intoxication among scandinavians while posting to forums. I submit this post as material evidence, as I, as you have undoubtedly noticed by now, am drunk.

Bottoms up!

_________________
Main Sys: 3000+ w. Zalman 9500 (nexus fan), Ati 9700 Pro w. Zalman Heatpipe, Thermaltake Tsunami Dream w. AcoustiPack Deluxe & Nexus 120mm


Last edited by sensei on Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:39 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:24 am
Posts: 1735
Location: 'Sunny' Cornwall U.K.
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:12 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Thornton, Colorado USA
PositiveSpin wrote:
I think people have the wrong impression - this isn't about hiccups (US spelling) or hiccoughs (UK spelling) - it's about hickups.

My guess as to the meaning of this word is that it describes the increase in naivete or gullibility of a person coming from a rural setting into a metropolis. By a city-dweller, I would presume that I don't suffering from this syndrome.

Hmm?


Where I come from Hickup is when a redneck gets a job promotion.

My theory as to the purpose of hiccups is it's the body's way of conditioning the diaphram muscle(s) to move potential obstructions down the esophagus. If you don't believe me try swallowing a golf ball and let us know your results, quickly.

_________________
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3|E6600 |Stock Cooler|2x1MB Patriot PC2 5300|FireGL V3400 w/Stock Cooler|WD740GD|WD2500KS|Rosewill R6AU6-BK Case|Antec Earth Watts 430


Last edited by threevok on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:27 am
Posts: 86
Location: Denmark
And while we're posting maps of scandinavian countries:

Image

They seem to have left out Norway, with slightly peculiar results.

_________________
Main Sys: 3000+ w. Zalman 9500 (nexus fan), Ati 9700 Pro w. Zalman Heatpipe, Thermaltake Tsunami Dream w. AcoustiPack Deluxe & Nexus 120mm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:58 pm
Posts: 2057
Location: Toronto
nici wrote:
mathias wrote:

I once ran into someone who spoke better english when drunk.


Funny, that person must have been from Finland :mrgreen:


Nope, Polish.

You know, it would hillarious if there was a dialect that sounded drunk, and there's no reason it shouldn't be possible. If the people who raised kids were often drunk eventually the language would become drunkenish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:27 am
Posts: 86
Location: Denmark
mathias wrote:
Nope, Polish.

You know, it would hillarious if there was a dialect that sounded drunk, and there's no reason it shouldn't be possible. If the people who raised kids were often drunk eventually the language would become drunkenish.


AH! I left out a possibility in my previos post. Our teachers were drunk while teaching us english. Or maybe english people are always drunk, and this has influenced the general perceptance of the language. I do, however, find this highly unlikely, given american legislation concerning alcohol.

By the way, doesn't every country have a region where people sound like they're drunk? In my experience, it's usually the rural districts. Jutland in Denmark, Skåne in sweden, the south in the US. And don't even get me started on the UK...

Anyway... Na zdrowie!

_________________
Main Sys: 3000+ w. Zalman 9500 (nexus fan), Ati 9700 Pro w. Zalman Heatpipe, Thermaltake Tsunami Dream w. AcoustiPack Deluxe & Nexus 120mm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:58 pm
Posts: 2057
Location: Toronto
sensei wrote:
By the way, doesn't every country have a region where people sound like they're drunk? In my experience, it's usually the rural districts. Jutland in Denmark, Skåne in sweden, the south in the US. And don't even get me started on the UK...


Hmmm, that does seem likely for newfies. But I don't know if noofs can afford to drink a lot, there's lots of unemployment there and the canadian gov't gouges horribly with alcohol taxes.

Some english accents...

hey, there's a word with a double c!

...some of them sound like they're drunk and on a cocktail of experimental antidepressants.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:27 am
Posts: 86
Location: Denmark
mathias wrote:
Hmmm, that does seem likely for newfies. But I don't know if noofs can afford to drink a lot, there's lots of unemployment there and the canadian gov't gouges horribly with alcohol taxes.

Some english accents...

hey, there's a word with a double c!

...some of them sound like they're drunk and on a cocktail of experimental antidepressants.


Around here, the rural district sounds like a drunk person speaking kind of slow to aid pronunciation, but failing miserably.

By the way... it hasn't occurred to you that drunkedness and unemployment might be a two way street?

Swedes get their alcohol through a government controlled store, called "systembolaget", but that doesn't keep them from making it themselves. I once read, that if all the yeast sold in Sweden was used for making bread, they would have too eat about one and a half loaf a day. Each.

_________________
Main Sys: 3000+ w. Zalman 9500 (nexus fan), Ati 9700 Pro w. Zalman Heatpipe, Thermaltake Tsunami Dream w. AcoustiPack Deluxe & Nexus 120mm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:58 pm
Posts: 2057
Location: Toronto
sensei wrote:
By the way... it hasn't occurred to you that drunkedness and unemployment might be a two way street?


No, not really. I know that Ireland, Denmark and Luxembourg have higher GDP's than England, Greece, Spain or Saudi Arabia, and the equivalent is also true about unemployment rates, except denmark's is a little higher than england's.

sensei wrote:
Swedes get their alcohol through a government controlled store, called "systembolaget", but that doesn't keep them from making it themselves. I once read, that if all the yeast sold in Sweden was used for making bread, they would have too eat about one and a half loaf a day. Each.


I haven't really heard much about canadians homebrewing, except some opinions that it's by hobyists exrtemely delusional about how good their beer is. I've also heard about it being illegal in three american states. I'm guessing it's illegal here; maybe the big beer companies here will try to pull an RIAA.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:03 am
Posts: 137
sthayashi wrote:
PositiveSpin wrote:
I think people have the wrong impression - this isn't about hiccups (US spelling) or hiccoughs (UK spelling) - it's about hickups.

My guess as to the meaning of this word is that it describes the increase in naivete or gullibility of a person coming from a rural setting into a metropolis. By a city-dweller, I would presume that I don't suffering from this syndrome.

Hmm?

The closest equivalent term we have in the US is Hicks, though there are plenty of other terms for them. Most of them are derogatory

I had thought you had simply misspelled hiccups, since SPCR sees a lot of people who don't speak or write english as their primary language


Hmm - should I explain that it was a joke? Or should I not? Perhaps it's best to leave the mystery...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:13 pm
Posts: 968
Location: Bristol, UK
sensei wrote:
And while we're posting maps of scandinavian countries:

(1 Euro coin)

They seem to have left out Norway, with slightly peculiar results.


(cringe) One more reason to say no to the Euro!

mathias wrote:
...maybe the big beer companies here will try to pull an RIAA.

But that would be like banning people from performing their own music, just because they use similar instruments!

_________________
It's coming back


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:49 am
Posts: 3011
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PositiveSpin wrote:
Hmm - should I explain that it was a joke? Or should I not? Perhaps it's best to leave the mystery...


A mystery to solve.. AHA! No time to be be wasted here! :lol:

btw. the € sucks donkeyballs, i have lost all sense of money and im only nineteen.. 100finnish marks was a lot of money, 20€uro(~120finnish marks) feels like nothing. Who on earth would pay 800makrs for a computer case.. :shock: But hey, its only 150€ :D It has its benefits though, its easier to compare prices. espcesially when the USD and EUR was nearly identical. If i would have had the age to vote when the wote was, i would have wothed no.

Ah bollox, nothing i can do about it anymore.

"Always look on the bright side of life..." Alcohol seems cheaper when its in euros :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:58 pm
Posts: 2057
Location: Toronto
StarfishChris wrote:
mathias wrote:
...maybe the big beer companies here will try to pull an RIAA.

But that would be like banning people from performing their own music, just because they use similar instruments!


No, it would be like banning people from growing opium. Except with more hipocracy.

nici wrote:
btw. the € sucks donkeyballs, i have lost all sense of money and im only nineteen.. 100finnish marks was a lot of money, 20€uro(~120finnish marks) feels like nothing. Who on earth would pay 800makrs for a computer case.. :shock: But hey, its only 150€ :D


What!?! 150 euros for a case?!? You really have lost all sense of money. For that price, it better be an improved full tower version of the P180. Or an acryllic version of the P180.

Even 150 canadian would be too much for me to spend on an ordinairy case. (That's €106)

nici wrote:
"Always look on the bright side of life..." Alcohol seems cheaper when its in euros :lol:


That's a con. As in, not a pro. Although it could also be a con as in "con artist"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:49 am
Posts: 3011
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
mathias wrote:
What!?! 150 euros for a case?!? You really have lost all sense of money. For that price, it better be an improved full tower version of the P180. Or an acryllic version of the P180.

Even 150 canadian would be too much for me to spend on an ordinairy case. (That's €106)


A regular silver P180. Wouldnt mind an acrylic version thjough... :) Oh, the shop i bought it from just bumped the price up to 179€ :shock:


mathias wrote:
nici wrote:
"Always look on the bright side of life..." Alcohol seems cheaper when its in euros :lol:


That's a con. As in, not a pro. Although it could also be a con as in "con artist"


Im not quite shure im following you here.. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:49 am
Posts: 3011
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
Terrible hick yuups..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:49 am
Posts: 3011
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
sthayashi wrote:
I don't have hiccups now, but on the rare occasion that I DO have them I do the following:
1) take a normal breath and hold it for a mental count to 10.
2) breathe out normally
3) Repeat the above 2 steps until they go away.

Since I am not you, YMMV, but the above has always worked for me within a minute or two.


Useless i tell you! Useless! I cant cponcentrate for a minute or two :mrgreen: i have hiccups with five ssecond interwalls for fooks sake!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:58 pm
Posts: 2057
Location: Toronto
nici wrote:
A regular silver P180. Wouldnt mind an acrylic version thjough... :) Oh, the shop i bought it from just bumped the price up to 179€ :shock:
That sucks. Here a P180 is ~115€.

nici wrote:
mathias wrote:
nici wrote:
"Always look on the bright side of life..." Alcohol seems cheaper when its in euros :lol:

That's a con. As in, not a pro. Although it could also be a con as in "con artist"

Im not quite shure im following you here.. :lol:

I mean: That's not a good thing and it could also be seen as the gov't swindling you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group