Hickups?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hickups?

Yay
13%
Nay
88%

Total votes: 48

nici

Hickups?

Post by nici » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:46 am

Do you have hickups ATM?

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:50 am

:shock:

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:09 am

Actually, yes :!: I find the best way to get rid of them is to drink water while you're upside down. I don't know why but it seems to work for me.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:27 pm

Hmmm... According to the Guinness World Records:
Longest Attack of Hiccups

Charles Osborne (1894–1991) of Anthon, Iowa, USA, started hiccupping in 1922 while attempting to weigh a hog before slaughtering it. He was unable to find a cure, and continued hiccupping until February 1990, a total of 68 year!

Osborne led a normal life in which he had two wives and fathered eight children. The only discomfort from his hiccuping, he claimed, was the constant risk of losing his false teeth!

During the first few decades, he hiccupped up to 40 times a minute, slowing to 20 a minute in later years. He finally stopped in 1990 – after an estimated 430 million spasms – and died the following year.
Poor guy! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:15 am

peteamer wrote::shock:
I suspect that post is alcohol related.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:29 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:I suspect that post is alcohol related.
Pray tell how you came to that summarization... :shock: ...

I fail, myself, to see how the post is related to Alcohol... :? ...

Or is it a SoCal thing?...

:lol:

Pete

nici

Post by nici » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:32 am

Must be a SoCal thing.. :roll:

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:39 pm

I don't have hiccups now, but on the rare occasion that I DO have them I do the following:
1) take a normal breath and hold it for a mental count to 10.
2) breathe out normally
3) Repeat the above 2 steps until they go away.

Since I am not you, YMMV, but the above has always worked for me within a minute or two.

My rationale for coming up with above method is Hiccups are a result of your diaphragm having a periodic spasm. No one is quite sure how or why that spasm comes about, but I figure that if you essentially focus on that muscle and force that muscle to act differently than normal you'll clear up any chemical/signal problem that might be occurring in your system. My theory may be a complete load, but with any luck, the above steps will work for you.

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:53 pm

I think people have the wrong impression - this isn't about hiccups (US spelling) or hiccoughs (UK spelling) - it's about hickups.

My guess as to the meaning of this word is that it describes the increase in naivete or gullibility of a person coming from a rural setting into a metropolis. By a city-dweller, I would presume that I don't suffering from this syndrome.

Hmm?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:04 pm

PositiveSpin wrote:I think people have the wrong impression - this isn't about hiccups (US spelling) or hiccoughs (UK spelling) - it's about hickups.

My guess as to the meaning of this word is that it describes the increase in naivete or gullibility of a person coming from a rural setting into a metropolis. By a city-dweller, I would presume that I don't suffering from this syndrome.

Hmm?
The closest equivalent term we have in the US is Hicks, though there are plenty of other terms for them. Most of them are derogatory

I had thought you had simply misspelled hiccups, since SPCR sees a lot of people who don't speak or write english as their primary language

nici

Post by nici » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:58 am

Whats up with it being spelled with two cs? I´ve never heard of another english word being spelled with two cs.. Is there others? :?:

And no my primary language isnt english, its my third one actually that being some kind of mix of british and US english. :mrgreen: My main languages are Finnish and Swedish.

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:09 am

nici wrote:Whats up with it being spelled with two cs? I´ve never heard of another english word being spelled with two cs.. Is there others? :?:
Do not try to find some kind of logic to english spelling or you will be sorry. Yew wyl bie verree sawrri.
nici wrote:And no my primary language isnt english, its my third one actually.. That being some kind of mix of british and US english.
Really? At what age did you learn it? I doubt you can even pronounce all umpteen vowels in english.

I once ran into someone who spoke better english when drunk.

nici

Post by nici » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:56 am

mathias wrote:
Really? At what age did you learn it? I doubt you can even pronounce all umpteen vowels in english.

No i probably cant :lol: We learn english in school since third grade iirc, wich would be 9 years old. Of course i had listened to english music before that, singing along the music without having any clue of what i was singing :lol: And then you read magazines and watch a lot of english movies and tv programs, and now i´ve been typing on english internet forums for over five years. im nineteen now.

I understand English as good as Finnish or Swedish, and i can think how to pronounce words in my head but in real life my pronounciation is a bit off because i really dont speak english at all. Unless im really drunk and listening to music... I think my pronounciation is pretty good then too, its much easier to read text aloud or sing along a song than just talk to another person imo.
mathias wrote:
Funny, that person must have been from Finland :mrgreen:

sensei

Post by sensei » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:31 am

mathias wrote:
nici wrote:Whats up with it being spelled with two cs? I´ve never heard of another english word being spelled with two cs.. Is there others? :?:
Do not try to find some kind of logic to english spelling or you will be sorry. Yew wyl bie verree sawrri.
nici wrote:And no my primary language isnt english, its my third one actually.. That being some kind of mix of british and US english.

I, along with many I know, fall under this category. Or at least we think we speak better english when drunk. But then again, most people I know think they do EVERYTHING better while drunk.

I do, however, have the advantage of having been a resident of the US for 4 years. That's a long time ago, so I tend to hunt for words, but never when I'm drunk.
nici wrote:Funny, that person must have been from Finland
It could have been ME! (but I'm a dane, and we drink more than finnish people do)

Anyway, if we can deduce that scandinavian people generally speak better english while drunk, there can be no other explanations than the following:

1. The english language sounds like a drunk individual speaking a scandinavian language.

2. The scandinavian population were taught to speak english while drunk (or at least hung over), and thus, are unable to speak the language properly sober (condition based learning: if you learn a skill while intoxicated, your proficiency in this skill will be best when you are in the same state of intoxication as when you were originally taught that skill). I find this alarming, but none the less highly probable, as recent studies show that danes, statistically, embark on their first drinking binge at the age of 13, and generally do this more than once per week (about one fifth of high school students living in a major city here do it thursday, friday and saturday) until the age of approximately 23. Danes also hold the coveted title known as "most alcohol consumed per capita under the age of 25". Globally.

3. We pretty much only speak english while clubbing, and thus, have no use for speaking english sober. The reason for this is, of course, that we only speak to foreigners when they, them selves are drunk, and we are in a position to take advantage of them.

It would be interesting to study the effects of intoxication among scandinavians while posting to forums. I submit this post as material evidence, as I, as you have undoubtedly noticed by now, am drunk.

Bottoms up!
Last edited by sensei on Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:39 am

:lol:

threevok

Post by threevok » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:55 am

PositiveSpin wrote:I think people have the wrong impression - this isn't about hiccups (US spelling) or hiccoughs (UK spelling) - it's about hickups.

Hmm?
Where I come from Hickup is when a redneck gets a job promotion.

My theory as to the purpose of hiccups is it's the body's way of conditioning the diaphram muscle(s) to move potential obstructions down the esophagus. If you don't believe me try swallowing a golf ball and let us know your results, quickly.
Last edited by threevok on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

sensei

Post by sensei » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:56 am

And while we're posting maps of scandinavian countries:

They seem to have left out Norway, with slightly peculiar results.

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:57 am

nici wrote:
mathias wrote:
Funny, that person must have been from Finland :mrgreen:
Nope, Polish.

You know, it would hillarious if there was a dialect that sounded drunk, and there's no reason it shouldn't be possible. If the people who raised kids were often drunk eventually the language would become drunkenish.

sensei

Post by sensei » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:06 am

mathias wrote: Nope, Polish.

You know, it would hillarious if there was a dialect that sounded drunk, and there's no reason it shouldn't be possible. If the people who raised kids were often drunk eventually the language would become drunkenish.
AH! I left out a possibility in my previos post. Our teachers were drunk while teaching us english. Or maybe english people are always drunk, and this has influenced the general perceptance of the language. I do, however, find this highly unlikely, given american legislation concerning alcohol.

By the way, doesn't every country have a region where people sound like they're drunk? In my experience, it's usually the rural districts. Jutland in Denmark, Skåne in sweden, the south in the US. And don't even get me started on the UK...

Anyway... Na zdrowie!

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:28 am

sensei wrote: By the way, doesn't every country have a region where people sound like they're drunk? In my experience, it's usually the rural districts. Jutland in Denmark, Skåne in sweden, the south in the US. And don't even get me started on the UK...
Hmmm, that does seem likely for newfies. But I don't know if noofs can afford to drink a lot, there's lots of unemployment there and the canadian gov't gouges horribly with alcohol taxes.

Some english accents...

hey, there's a word with a double c!

...some of them sound like they're drunk and on a cocktail of experimental antidepressants.

sensei

Post by sensei » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:32 am

mathias wrote: Hmmm, that does seem likely for newfies. But I don't know if noofs can afford to drink a lot, there's lots of unemployment there and the canadian gov't gouges horribly with alcohol taxes.

Some english accents...

hey, there's a word with a double c!

...some of them sound like they're drunk and on a cocktail of experimental antidepressants.
Around here, the rural district sounds like a drunk person speaking kind of slow to aid pronunciation, but failing miserably.

By the way... it hasn't occurred to you that drunkedness and unemployment might be a two way street?

Swedes get their alcohol through a government controlled store, called "systembolaget", but that doesn't keep them from making it themselves. I once read, that if all the yeast sold in Sweden was used for making bread, they would have too eat about one and a half loaf a day. Each.

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:35 pm

sensei wrote: By the way... it hasn't occurred to you that drunkedness and unemployment might be a two way street?
No, not really. I know that Ireland, Denmark and Luxembourg have higher GDP's than England, Greece, Spain or Saudi Arabia, and the equivalent is also true about unemployment rates, except denmark's is a little higher than england's.
sensei wrote:Swedes get their alcohol through a government controlled store, called "systembolaget", but that doesn't keep them from making it themselves. I once read, that if all the yeast sold in Sweden was used for making bread, they would have too eat about one and a half loaf a day. Each.
I haven't really heard much about canadians homebrewing, except some opinions that it's by hobyists exrtemely delusional about how good their beer is. I've also heard about it being illegal in three american states. I'm guessing it's illegal here; maybe the big beer companies here will try to pull an RIAA.

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:18 pm

sthayashi wrote:

Hmm?
The closest equivalent term we have in the US is Hicks, though there are plenty of other terms for them. Most of them are derogatory

I had thought you had simply misspelled hiccups, since SPCR sees a lot of people who don't speak or write english as their primary language
Hmm - should I explain that it was a joke? Or should I not? Perhaps it's best to leave the mystery...

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:00 am

sensei wrote:And while we're posting maps of scandinavian countries:

(1 Euro coin)

They seem to have left out Norway, with slightly peculiar results.
(cringe) One more reason to say no to the Euro!
mathias wrote:...maybe the big beer companies here will try to pull an RIAA.
But that would be like banning people from performing their own music, just because they use similar instruments!

nici

Post by nici » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:47 am

PositiveSpin wrote: Hmm - should I explain that it was a joke? Or should I not? Perhaps it's best to leave the mystery...
A mystery to solve.. AHA! No time to be be wasted here! :lol:

btw. the € sucks donkeyballs, i have lost all sense of money and im only nineteen.. 100finnish marks was a lot of money, 20€uro(~120finnish marks) feels like nothing. Who on earth would pay 800makrs for a computer case.. :shock: But hey, its only 150€ :D It has its benefits though, its easier to compare prices. espcesially when the USD and EUR was nearly identical. If i would have had the age to vote when the wote was, i would have wothed no.

Ah bollox, nothing i can do about it anymore.

"Always look on the bright side of life..." Alcohol seems cheaper when its in euros :lol:

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:05 pm

StarfishChris wrote:
mathias wrote:...maybe the big beer companies here will try to pull an RIAA.
But that would be like banning people from performing their own music, just because they use similar instruments!
No, it would be like banning people from growing opium. Except with more hipocracy.
nici wrote:btw. the € sucks donkeyballs, i have lost all sense of money and im only nineteen.. 100finnish marks was a lot of money, 20€uro(~120finnish marks) feels like nothing. Who on earth would pay 800makrs for a computer case.. :shock: But hey, its only 150€ :D
What!?! 150 euros for a case?!? You really have lost all sense of money. For that price, it better be an improved full tower version of the P180. Or an acryllic version of the P180.

Even 150 canadian would be too much for me to spend on an ordinairy case. (That's €106)
nici wrote:"Always look on the bright side of life..." Alcohol seems cheaper when its in euros :lol:
That's a con. As in, not a pro. Although it could also be a con as in "con artist"

nici

Post by nici » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:10 pm

mathias wrote: What!?! 150 euros for a case?!? You really have lost all sense of money. For that price, it better be an improved full tower version of the P180. Or an acryllic version of the P180.

Even 150 canadian would be too much for me to spend on an ordinairy case. (That's €106)
A regular silver P180. Wouldnt mind an acrylic version thjough... :) Oh, the shop i bought it from just bumped the price up to 179€ :shock:

mathias wrote:
nici wrote:"Always look on the bright side of life..." Alcohol seems cheaper when its in euros :lol:
That's a con. As in, not a pro. Although it could also be a con as in "con artist"
Im not quite shure im following you here.. :lol:

nici

Post by nici » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:12 pm

Terrible hick yuups..

nici

Post by nici » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:23 pm

sthayashi wrote:I don't have hiccups now, but on the rare occasion that I DO have them I do the following:
1) take a normal breath and hold it for a mental count to 10.
2) breathe out normally
3) Repeat the above 2 steps until they go away.

Since I am not you, YMMV, but the above has always worked for me within a minute or two.
Useless i tell you! Useless! I cant cponcentrate for a minute or two :mrgreen: i have hiccups with five ssecond interwalls for fooks sake!

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:32 pm

nici wrote:A regular silver P180. Wouldnt mind an acrylic version thjough... :) Oh, the shop i bought it from just bumped the price up to 179€ :shock:
That sucks. Here a P180 is ~115€.
nici wrote:
mathias wrote:
Im not quite shure im following you here.. :lol:
I mean: That's not a good thing and it could also be seen as the gov't swindling you.