vancouver quiet fan search

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

uke78

Post by uke78 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the great site. I'm in vancouver and I'm looking for quiet case fans. A few I've considered are
<BR>Vantec Stealth 8025, 27 cfm @ 20 dba <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.vantecusa.com/stealth_fan.html" target="_blank">http://www.vantecusa.com/stealth_fan.html</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end -->
<BR>Panaflo
<BR>Pabst
<BR>Sanyo Denki
<BR>any opinions on which is the best fan?
<BR>Where in vancouver might I find some of these fans? I know New Type downtown has vantec but their site seems to not be working, maybe they went out of business.
<BR>
<BR>My plan for these fans is 2 for case cooling and 1 to mod an enermax 350W.
<BR>thanks very much!
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Hey welcome fellow Vancouverite!
<br>
<br>Panaflo is the only one I've had direct experience with. As you may know, the 80mm L model is our ref. Very quiet. I brought in ~20 from the US a while back, but haven't seen any here. I have a Sanyo but its the 53 cfm monster that came with a Swiftech. Vantec Stealth 8025 looks pretty good, they're suppose to send up review samples, but I haven't seen them yet. Papst have the best rep, but I have seen any around in Vanc.
<br>
<br>I haven't found any quiet fan sources in Vancouver.
<br>
<br>Suprised about New Type -- just tried the site, still down. They seemed to be thriving last time I was there a couple months ago.
[addsig]

uke78

Post by uke78 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

yeah thankfully their site is back up. In my experience they have the best selection of cases, cooling, and powersupplies in vancouver. Their prices are also competitive with atic etc. And their site is more informative, IMO. The thing I don't like about atic, anitec, and a-power's sites, I mean they have awesome prices but they have limited items, especially in cooling. Like they'll have only sunon case fans or only enermax power supplies, only landmark cases, etc. New Type maybe has $3 more expensive prices but they have every make and model of so many different cooling products. Today I noticed they are advertising the Vantec fans on the front page. I talked to the guy and he was complaining how his home computer has 7 fans and it's so loud, so they obviously care about noise.
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

So did you get the Vantec Stealth? How are they?
[addsig]

DrVos

Post by DrVos » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forums but thought this would be great time to jump on in.
<br>
<br>I tried both a vantec stealth 80mm and 92mm and was disappointed by the fans. They are not quieter than the panaflos by any means, though they do put out more cfm. Noise wise, I think I would place the Vantec Stealths in between the panaflos and standard case fans.
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

So that means you have a Panaflo as well? How are you using these fans? Case fans? PSU? CPU? What kind of mounting?
[addsig]

DrVos

Yes I have been using panaflo fans for pretty much everyting.
<br>Undervolted enermax psu mod, case fans, and cpu fan. I found that by simply holding the 2 fans next each other, i could very easily tell that the vantec fans were louder.
<br>
<br>I'd like to try the papst fans but money (at 20.00 each) and availability (plycon, the only US distreibutor that i know of is out of stock) are hindering my efforts.
<br>
<br>If you are really interested in getting your hands on the stealths e-mail me, maybe we can work something out.
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Well, firstly, your profile does not include your email, and secondly, where are you?
[addsig]

DrVos

Sorry bout that, profile updated!
[addsig]