Dell new XPS Gaming comp cases, can I buy just the case?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mannin32

Dell new XPS Gaming comp cases, can I buy just the case?

Post by mannin32 » Mon May 12, 2003 12:43 pm

Does anyone know if it is possable to find the company that makes the dell cases for the new XPS gaming machines and just buy the case? I read a review and it said that the cases are silent, you can only hear a little whine from the fans. Does anyone know where we could get one of these?

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Mon May 12, 2003 1:05 pm

I think Dell manufacturers them custom made. :cry:

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon May 12, 2003 1:14 pm

Id like to hear one myself first. The power supply is on the bottom in a seperate compartment and appears to be 2 40mm fans, which I doubt is very silent.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Mon May 12, 2003 1:31 pm

I've browsed the Dell site before (I think it was the Canadian site) and found a page where they were selling separate components. A few of these were their cases. However, it's probably their old stuff so it may be awhile before you can get that case from that page. I suppose you could always try and contact Dell directly to see if they'd sell you only the case. It may require some creative storytelling though !! :wink:

Tom P

Post by Tom P » Mon May 12, 2003 1:45 pm

You might consider that any case is silent if there is no mechanical gizmo attached to it (like a fan or hard drive) that makes noise. If you are only interested in it because a review called it silent, not because you like the way it looks or something, you could probably do as well with another good quality case and follow the ideas on this web site as far as power supplies, cooling, and hard drives.

twigilicious

Post by twigilicious » Mon May 12, 2003 3:33 pm

GamingGod wrote:Id like to hear one myself first. The power supply is on the bottom in a seperate compartment and appears to be 2 40mm fans, which I doubt is very silent.
I've had the pleasure of using a Precision, which is the same case. IIRC, the Precision workstation also had the 2 40mm fans at the 1U-like power supply and it was actually very quiet.

mannin32

Post by mannin32 » Tue May 13, 2003 4:53 am

Tom P wrote:You might consider that any case is silent if there is no mechanical gizmo attached to it (like a fan or hard drive) that makes noise. If you are only interested in it because a review called it silent, not because you like the way it looks or something, you could probably do as well with another good quality case and follow the ideas on this web site as far as power supplies, cooling, and hard drives.
Well I also like the way the door works on the front, it opens and slides back not just opens. This way I can slide around in my chair and not worry about sliding into the door and cracking it off. Here is a quote from tech tv that explains it better...
"The Dimension XPS sports a distinct cobalt blue and charcoal gray case packed with lots of well-planned touches. Three 5.25-inch drive bays and an integrated floppy drive are concealed behind a double-hinged door that can fold back against the side of the case. Unlike doors on other performance systems we've seen, this door can fold back flush against the side of the case, preventing accidents. "

Here is a link to the whole artical
http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/product ... 68,00.html

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Wed May 14, 2003 6:47 pm

That's a neat Dell case, too bad they don't have bigger pictures on their site.

mannin32

Post by mannin32 » Fri May 16, 2003 6:25 am

Yeah anyone know where to find one?

Jefferelli

Post by Jefferelli » Fri May 16, 2003 6:51 am

The case might need to be modified to fit your MOBO. I was just on a forum yesterday looking for info on case fans for my dell (proprietary and needs to be bought from dell i found out. what a joke) and someone was going to put the dell mobo in another case and it wouldn't fit (i guess he meant the standoffs were in different positions maybe) anyways it might not match up to your MOBO. I found out I can't use any fan with my Dell 8200. The wiring is different . Thay had a few people try to bypass the fan and they said the computer wouldn't start without the fan plugged in. wierd. Looks like they locked me into only buying parts from them. I am going to quiet mod this computer soon. I guess I will have to dig in and see what I can do. I know I cant let THEM win and buy another kinda noisy fan.

mannin32

Post by mannin32 » Fri May 16, 2003 10:53 am

wow dell is gay, the hell with buying one of those I will just find a nice quiet case somewhere else.

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Fri May 16, 2003 11:27 pm

GamingGod wrote:Id like to hear one myself first. The power supply is on the bottom in a seperate compartment and appears to be 2 40mm fans, which I doubt is very silent.
The one at the bottom here looks similar and they have similar power ratings. It may not be this one, but it might be similar.
http://www.fspgroupusa.com/images/DM(IPC)2003-1.pdf

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sat May 17, 2003 10:18 am

ewwww dell :\

Sledge

Post by Sledge » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:17 pm

twigilicious wrote:
I've had the pleasure of using a Precision, which is the same case. IIRC, the Precision workstation also had the 2 40mm fans at the 1U-like power supply and it was actually very quiet.
I have a Precision 650 right here at work with dual 2.8 Xeons and I can barely hear it. Dell definitely does their homework wrt cooling.