It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FSP Epsilon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:39 am 

This looks like a very intersting PSU http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=3730 .Apparently it has strong similarities to the Aopen AO700-ALN which a review got 30db at 700 watts with. There's a review of the Epsilon at Custompc but ihaven't posted the link as they now want you to register before you read their precious site. I'm after a quiet high power PSU so the choice could be between this and the Seasonic. Can't help thinking the 700 watt models may be overkill!

Post subject: Re: FSP Epsilon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:32 pm 

kkzz wrote:
Apparently it has strong similarities to the Aopen AO700-ALN which a review got 30db at 700 watts with.

It's the same unit ;)

Saw the Aopen at Actbuy recently for a none too cheap $230.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:36 pm 

who the hell would spend that much on a PSU that is more than twice as much power a single home PC will ever draw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:37 pm 

Why are there so many PSU's for people who like to run multiple appliances off them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:11 am 

As long as its over 500w I'm more than happy (if the rumours are true about the 512mb 7800GTX with Quadro cooler I might need more power), what interested me about this unit is the review stating the fan is user replacable (I don't know of any others where this doesn't void the guarantee) and 83% efficiency sounds good as does the sound chamber test stating the sample was putting out 30db at 700watts. Having bought a miserably bad Tagan and suffered the company's complete indifference I'm making certain before I part with cash this time. Personally I think these high wattage pwer supplies sell on people's fears that that somebody will suddenly introduce a component with massive power draw. Apparently the engineers claimed the Aopen 700w could be easily modified to 900w!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:33 am 

As long as its over 500w I'm more than happy (if the rumours are true about the 512mb 7800GTX with Quadro cooler I might need more power), what interested me about this unit is the review stating the fan is user replacable (I don't know of any others where this doesn't void the guarantee) and 83% efficiency sounds good as does the sound chamber test stating the sample was putting out 30db at 700watts. Having bought a miserably bad Tagan and suffered the company's complete indifference I'm making certain before I part with cash this time. Personally I think these high wattage pwer supplies sell on people's fears that that somebody will suddenly introduce a component with massive power draw. Apparently the engineers claimed the Aopen 700w could be easily modified to 900w!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:34 am 

If your computer would actually draw that much current, the problem would not be in the PSU, but that your components would put out that amount of heat. How the #ยค% do you cool a PC producing 500+W of heat? Even if you use water cooling, the water is only a mean of transporting the heat, it would have to be evacuated somewhere!

Even next generation of 7800GTX and so on, your computer will still not draw more than around 200-250W if you use an AMD processor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:18 am 

I totally agree but we live in a market where consumers seem to buy PSUs with ever increasing wattages meaning companies put less effort into innovating lower rated PSUs. I'm happy with a maximium of 500w (i know that's excessive). I'm attracted to this PSU as I don't like fanless or semi fanless because of the heat, Seagate seem to be shipping some PSUs with noisier fans these days, I like the policy of allowing user fan replacement (or is that only the Aopen version?), and I'm impressed by an apparently reliable test http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1359&page=25 producing a result of 30 db at 700w. I freely concede I'm probably following a flawed line of reasoning here but I'd think that would mean even lower noise at actual current draw. Since they don't make the PSU with these features at 500w its got to be a 600w version. Anyway I'll wait for now till some quiet pc enthusiats review them, after that hideous hot and noisy Tagan I'm not rushing in